“Lovely lunch”

Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Balducci at the V & A Waterfront offers an unrivaled menu of simple, everyday home cooked Italian dishes that reflect the most traditional elements of food and culinary styles. Our simple Italian home cooked food is prepared in a relaxed and restorative style, whilst at the same time being creative, traditional and affordable. Main restaurant open from 11am daily
Reviewed 21 October 2018

My family hosted lunch with my former CEO and her husband both from overseas and our guests loved the experience. There were 5 of us and each were happy with our meal from steaks, salads, sushi, fish and burger. The portions were generous.

The staff was very welcoming right from the door and till we all left. Our guests were seasoned world travelers so I was truly delighted that they enjoined the experience.

We have been to Balducci’s before but this was the ultimate test and I am glad it didn’t disappoint. It was our guests last day in SA having seen a few of the high end touristy places and has had some unfortunate experience in that period, I am just glad that we ended their stay in SA with a happy positive note.

Highly recommended and will keep coming back.

1  Thank chusone35
Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Balducci's, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

Dear ChusOne, thank you for the lovely review. We appreciate it and look forward to having you choose us again soon. Regards, Andrew

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Firstly, I am not a person who often complains and I understand nothing ever runs to plan but when one receives such shocking service I feel the need to warn others.
On Tuesday 02/10/2018 my partner and I had a reservation at Balducci's to celebrate his birthday, this night ended with HUGE disappointment.
Perhaps if i was foreign or if i ordered a more expensive bottle of wine, perhaps then i would have received better service.

The MANAGER spoke to me in a condescending manner, as if i was "riff-raff" from the street. I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT I AM NOT! I AM REALLY SO UPSET THAT THIS DISGUSTING ESTABLISHMENT RUINED MY PARTNERS BIRTHDAY!

SPEAKING OVER ME, WHILE I WAS TRYING TO EXPLAIN THE SITUATION!!!!!!!

DID THEY THINK I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD THE MEAL????
HOW DISGUSTING !
I LEFT MY DETAILS FOR THE GENERAL MANAGER TO CONTACT ME, PLEASE DO SO!

1  Thank Tyrone B
Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Balducci's, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

NOT THE TRUTH AND UNFAIR

WE have written you two letters personally by the Managing Director of the Slick Group. What you reported on Tripadvisor was not accurate and truthful
You arrived in a “party mood” and reported you were not happy with:
The table, waiter ., service. Wine, Chita, Manager on duty, the fact that we serve tourists too, the wine and you also in your e mail referred to very personal statements towards certain kinds of people and you made allegations that were totally unfounded.We tried our utmost to please you and you also stated in your initial letter that you were a manager of a fine dining establishment of which you will not disclose. I wonder if your guests abuse you and your staff whilst you are on duty?
We are terribly sorry that we were not able to satisfy you and that you found more than 10 things wrong with our restaurant and or food and staff. We ask you to please have respect for our staff and establishment like we have for guests or we will not allow you to return to any of our establishments in the near future. Please also be fair and accurate in what you report as your behaviour in public spaces is much to be desired. Our Tripadvisor and other platforms speak for thereselves. We have a 23 year track record in one location and grow exponentially every year.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We never made any reservation for our lunch! We were welcomed & taken good care with Vegan menu & food offered by restaurant. Fried onion as starter was great .

Thanks Team Balducci.....

Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Balducci's, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2018

Dear Sideku, thank you for the review. We look forward to you joining us again very soon. Regards, Andrew

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

I just had lunch with a friend at Balducci's this was my first time esting there.

I found the menu overwhelming as they do not speaclise in anything. You can have sushi, seafood, burgers, pizza and pasta!!! I prefer personally prefer a restaurant that specializes in certain foods.

The waiter recommend that I try the Baby Kingklip which I am pretty sure he said would be off the bone. Anyway the kingklip arrived and I recieved not only did it have bones, the lemon butter sauce was terrible and the fish did not taste fresh. It was definitely frozen fish. I was utterly disappointed as this meal cost me R 250 and I have had better fish chips from a local fisheries for R50. I initially asked for half chips and salad and they were not able to accommodate me however my friend recieved both chips and salad with her prego roll.

I will not be returning to Balducci's. I cannot believe they would charge so much for money. This was the most underwhelming meal I have had in a long time.

Dear Valentineg24, sorry thatyou did not find anything that suited your taste profile in our extensive menu. We have perfected many of our dishes over the past 23 years and will continue to add more as the demand requires. Our kitchen is equipped with 7 different kitchen sections to allow for speedy production of specific dishes. Our Baby Kingklip is served as a whole fish, and would never be sold with the explanation that it is deboned. It is an extremely popular dish, and is the 2nd highest selling fish dish on our menu. We offer a choice of a side all main dish orders. The prego roll is accompanied with a salad, and the choice of a side. It didn't get requested as half and half, as you stated. We hope that you will try us again when you are next visiting and order something that you will enjoy. Kind Regards, Andrew

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was highly recommended by a gentleman on a recent flight. I was excited to try it. It was crowded but a table was found. I agree with an earlier comment about the wierd seating. I was almost sharing another couple's table. I started with the minestrone. Delicious. I then inquired what was the catch of the day. I thought the server said Sole. I even repeated "it's Sole" and the server replied yes. It was Sword fish. My least favorite fish. I totally accept my error. However I feel the server was also in error for confirming the fish was Sole when I asked. I feel listening skills were a bit lacking. I had the Mac and cheese side which for me was mediocre at best. Sigh...it happens. Based on my experience I'm hesistant to recommend this restaurant.

Dear Dchadick, we refreigned from stocking sole many years ago, as it was too inconsistent. We get fresh linefish every morning and it would be based on what was available. It is a pity that the swordfish is not one of your favourites. We do offer also kingklip and Norwegian Salmon, as well as a Baby Kingklip too. Our Mac&Cheese is made with 3 cheeses, one being Gruyere, which gives it the strong flavours that our customers all love I am sorry that you found it mediocre and hope that you will give us another chance and try some other menu items before dismissing us as a choice to visit. Regards, Andrew