“Worth a visit”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Bloemendal
Reviewed 22 June 2015

Remember there are two Bloemendal Restaurants. The Wine farm and the Restaurant on the hill. A bit expensive, but worth the visit. It's off TygerbergValley Road, not Racecourse Rd

Reviewed 21 March 2015

The new chef is ding a great job. We had a wonderful time with friends here, and of course the beautiful view as backdrop always makes the place special. Was nice too to see a wedding party enjoying themselves downstairs.
Only 'complaint' is that I left with a sore stomach... But that was my fault from over eating! Well done guys!

1  Thank TheTravelatrix
Reviewed 21 December 2014

The sad thing about Bloemendal is that it is situated on top of a hill with the most amazing views but sadly the food and the service are shocking! When we were eventually shown to our table we were not told it was a buffet arrangement, we had to work that out for ourselves. Our wine was just dumped in the middle of the table in an ice bucket with hardly enough ice in it to cover the bottom of the bottle. When I opened,poured and tasted the wine myself it turned out the wine was still warm - not even slightly cold. When I asked the waitress for a cold bottle she returned with ice telling me that there was no cold wine - what if I didn't want ice in my wine?

We then went to inspect the buffet which consisted of pathetic salads. The meat was all pojtie pots that were red hot with no cloths to lift the lids. The meat was tough, the (what looked like sweet potato) was swimming in liquid and the rice was clearly some really cheap brand as it was horrible and tasteless. Only when we sat back down at our table did more food arrive on the buffet. Having discarded my first plate of food I went back to see what else had arrived. Needless to say it was not much better with dry chicken pie, roast potatoes that were covered is some sort of dusting of dry herbs and other meat that was unidentifiable.

The best of it is that you have to wait until the entire restaurant has finished eating main course before they clear the buffet and bring out deserts so god help you if you got there early as we did.

The only time we ever saw our waitress after she has delivered the wine was to clear plates and not a word was said about the fact that we were returning full plates of food to the kitchen.

I could go on but the crux of it was that they charged us R200 a head of this disaster of an experience. R200 for a buffet? What an absolute rip off!

Take my advice and never go there as it will destroy your day. Bloemendal is an insult to the Durbanville wine route.

2  Thank GaryP1969
Reviewed 7 November 2014

We dined in the restaurant for lunch on the 2nd November 2014 to celebrate my Mom’s 83rd birthday (28 guests in total) – this is my second large booking with yourselves, the first was to celebrate my 50th birthday a few years back
(60 guests in total). The booking for my Mom’s birthday was made approx a month back.
We arrived at the restaurant just on 12 noon, we had requested for you not to set up our tables as we prefered to supply our own décor – this was so.
The Manageress on duty was Taylor Anne Parker, my wife was assisted by a tall european chap to set up the tables etc. First complaint – he was rude, sullen and just not interested in assisting or been helpful.. we move on.

Starters were served:
Disgusting and unappealing

Main course;
No Cauliflower cheese
No roast potatoes – only served later after complaints and meal
No sweet potato
Tough lamb something unidentifible in a thick gravy gel – gravy?
Fish arrived way after the main meals were presented
Flies buzzing around around the potjie pots
Chicken potjie consisted of bones
Vegetables consisted of mixed veg served straight from a freezer bag
Deserts consisted of Jelly & Sorbet – childrens party??

Health & Safety issues
Unbrellas left lying across the sliding door exit where anyone could have tripped over them, which someone did.
Need reflective tape or barrier by the very deep step outside. I’m sure people have tripped on the step especially at night.

In summary:
When we were setting up the tables it was mentioned that the tray of cutlery was running low and the answer from “Mr Surly” was that he was ‘aware of that’ in a not very friendly tone.
When he was clearing the plates my sister offered him a plate he could not reach – which he ignored. My sister said as he walked away ‘you are a rude man’ which he must have heard as he turned around to take it without a word.
On another note, my sister bought a drink for R22.00 which was put on a tab, when she came to pay Taylor told her she didn’t have any change for R50.00 and would she not like to buy another drink for R22.00 and that would even it out. R22.00 plus R22.00 equals R44.00 and not R50.00 but for the sake of peace we let it go.
Compliments go the chap minding the bar, always trying to please in vain of having no cash float.
Waiter was very rude and surly right from the start – plates were piled on table before cleared.
In closure, never once were we asked if we were satisfied with service or food – I had the impression that staff were laid back and disinterested, no smiles, no friendly greetings.
I wonder if the staff believe the Bloemendal is on the brink of closing and this is the reason for their lack of interest…. I wonder.
Very sad to see a great place gone down…..

3  Thank Keith116