Review Highlights
Over rated and overpriced buffet

Reviewed 5 May 2014
Cybersurfer007
Cape Town, South Africa
via mobile
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE - DAY LIGHT ROBBERY !!!!

Reviewed 29 December 2015
deliahowes
Cape Town Central, South Africa

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 December 2015

The following email was sent to the Manager, Bernie on the 09th December without so much as a courteous response - GO FIGURE !!!:

"It is with much disappointment that I communicate our experience at your establishment on Friday the 04th December, bearing in mind that we were expecting the same standard, if not higher, as we had the year prior to last when we also had our end of year function there.

From the get go, trying to finalise the reservation was a nightmare and not a pleasant experience.

On the invoicing side alone, I was initially charged a 12% service fee as opposed to the standard 10%. I was then on two occasions after that charged for halaal meals which I had not ordered, each time needing to wait for the revised invoice to be re-issued.

The demeanour of the staff during the process to secure our reservation was not commendable on any level.

We made several requests, which we had done with our prior year end function at your establishment, to put up a Christmas tree and dance music.

I was told that the Christmas tree would not fit in with the majority guest reservations and decor on that night, but they would see what could be done.

The restaurant was half full [if that] on the night in question, so I fail to see the reasoning for the above.

The Buffet meal served on the night was milestones away from the Buffet menu sent to me. The selection being substandard and not nearly as comprehensive as reflected on the menu sent to me.

The welcome drinks were poorly presented and were very warm.

None of the food items were labelled. One therefore had no idea what one was actually eating.

The food trays were not re-filled. By the time some of our staff members got to the buffet table, several dishes were empty. The chicken pie had bones in it and was so dry you needed something to wash it down your throat.

The ribs were literally just that – BONES.

The spit braai needed at least another hour’s worth of cooking.

There was a section on the buffet table that had nothing on it and several of our staff members, not realising that it was a hot plate, burnt themselves – myself included !

The custard was lumpy.

The beverage menu prices differed to the prices charged at the bar !!!

The waiters oral hygiene left much to be desired !!

The toilets were dirty."

While the view is spectacular from the Hill, you go there to eat and then to enjoy the ambiance and the view. It was TERRIBLE. It is a disgrace to the Durbanville wine route !!!

I certainly gave Bloemendal Management AMPLE time to redeem themselves and respond to my above email, but alas, my expectation was clearly way too high !!!

I would LOVE to hear from the owner of Bloemendal regarding these extremely poor reviews the restaurant is receiving.

3  Thank deliahowes
Reviewed 24 September 2015 via mobile

Bad bad do not go
Waited one hour for breakfast today. Sugar pot grimy. Not a pleasant experience.
Went for 80th birthday, what a disappointing restaurant.

Reviewed 22 June 2015

Remember there are two Bloemendal Restaurants. The Wine farm and the Restaurant on the hill. A bit expensive, but worth the visit. It's off TygerbergValley Road, not Racecourse Rd

Reviewed 21 March 2015

The new chef is ding a great job. We had a wonderful time with friends here, and of course the beautiful view as backdrop always makes the place special. Was nice too to see a wedding party enjoying themselves downstairs.
Only 'complaint' is that I left with a sore stomach... But that was my fault from over eating! Well done guys!

1  Thank TheTravelatrix
Reviewed 21 December 2014

The sad thing about Bloemendal is that it is situated on top of a hill with the most amazing views but sadly the food and the service are shocking! When we were eventually shown to our table we were not told it was a buffet arrangement, we had to work that out for ourselves. Our wine was just dumped in the middle of the table in an ice bucket with hardly enough ice in it to cover the bottom of the bottle. When I opened,poured and tasted the wine myself it turned out the wine was still warm - not even slightly cold. When I asked the waitress for a cold bottle she returned with ice telling me that there was no cold wine - what if I didn't want ice in my wine?

We then went to inspect the buffet which consisted of pathetic salads. The meat was all pojtie pots that were red hot with no cloths to lift the lids. The meat was tough, the (what looked like sweet potato) was swimming in liquid and the rice was clearly some really cheap brand as it was horrible and tasteless. Only when we sat back down at our table did more food arrive on the buffet. Having discarded my first plate of food I went back to see what else had arrived. Needless to say it was not much better with dry chicken pie, roast potatoes that were covered is some sort of dusting of dry herbs and other meat that was unidentifiable.

The best of it is that you have to wait until the entire restaurant has finished eating main course before they clear the buffet and bring out deserts so god help you if you got there early as we did.

The only time we ever saw our waitress after she has delivered the wine was to clear plates and not a word was said about the fact that we were returning full plates of food to the kitchen.

I could go on but the crux of it was that they charged us R200 a head of this disaster of an experience. R200 for a buffet? What an absolute rip off!

Take my advice and never go there as it will destroy your day. Bloemendal is an insult to the Durbanville wine route.

2  Thank GaryP1969
Reviewed 7 November 2014

We dined in the restaurant for lunch on the 2nd November 2014 to celebrate my Mom’s 83rd birthday (28 guests in total) – this is my second large booking with yourselves, the first was to celebrate my 50th birthday a few years back
(60 guests in total). The booking for my Mom’s birthday was made approx a month back.
We arrived at the restaurant just on 12 noon, we had requested for you not to set up our tables as we prefered to supply our own décor – this was so.
The Manageress on duty was Taylor Anne Parker, my wife was assisted by a tall european chap to set up the tables etc. First complaint – he was rude, sullen and just not interested in assisting or been helpful.. we move on.

Starters were served:
Disgusting and unappealing

Main course;
No Cauliflower cheese
No roast potatoes – only served later after complaints and meal
No sweet potato
Tough lamb something unidentifible in a thick gravy gel – gravy?
Fish arrived way after the main meals were presented
Flies buzzing around around the potjie pots
Chicken potjie consisted of bones
Vegetables consisted of mixed veg served straight from a freezer bag
Deserts consisted of Jelly & Sorbet – childrens party??

Health & Safety issues
Unbrellas left lying across the sliding door exit where anyone could have tripped over them, which someone did.
Need reflective tape or barrier by the very deep step outside. I’m sure people have tripped on the step especially at night.

In summary:
When we were setting up the tables it was mentioned that the tray of cutlery was running low and the answer from “Mr Surly” was that he was ‘aware of that’ in a not very friendly tone.
When he was clearing the plates my sister offered him a plate he could not reach – which he ignored. My sister said as he walked away ‘you are a rude man’ which he must have heard as he turned around to take it without a word.
On another note, my sister bought a drink for R22.00 which was put on a tab, when she came to pay Taylor told her she didn’t have any change for R50.00 and would she not like to buy another drink for R22.00 and that would even it out. R22.00 plus R22.00 equals R44.00 and not R50.00 but for the sake of peace we let it go.
Compliments go the chap minding the bar, always trying to please in vain of having no cash float.
Waiter was very rude and surly right from the start – plates were piled on table before cleared.
In closure, never once were we asked if we were satisfied with service or food – I had the impression that staff were laid back and disinterested, no smiles, no friendly greetings.
I wonder if the staff believe the Bloemendal is on the brink of closing and this is the reason for their lack of interest…. I wonder.
Very sad to see a great place gone down…..

3  Thank Keith116
Reviewed 29 September 2014

Great view but never again. It used to be a good restaurant 10 years ago. The service was worst ever. We were told 12h00 for 12h30 Sunday lunch. Starters were served 13h00. Mains at 14h00. Desert at 15h00 after many complaints. Food was nothing special & 10% service fee was added insult to injury. The church congregation 10h00 using the place, bring their own tea & eats. Value for money 3/10.

1  Thank tracyhunt2014
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Food is edible but nothing special, everything on offer has been done better somewhere else. Brilliant views but for the price not worth it. There was a fireplace but they decided not to light it which left the place really cold. Plates had some residue that looked suspiciously like dust. The food on offer for the buffet was not the full menu advertised. Coffee was terrible and towards the end of the evening we spotted a cat wandering out of the kitchen. I may be an animal lover but prefer to keep pets out of the cooking vicinity. My suggestion is the money would be better spent somewhere else.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Unenthusiastic staff at reception and poor quality food, badly prepared. Over cooked dry tough meat. One unimaginative green salad and the rest are starches which make up the starters. Stews with more bone than meat and very poor selection of desserts. All this for the astronomical price of R295. The only redeeming feature is the location.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

On Wednesday, 9 April 2014, we took friends of ours for dinner at Bloemendal Restaurant. What an utter disappointment. There was nobody to meet as a the door and we had to ask a passing waiter for assistance. The dinning area was hazy from the spitbraai smoke and a cat was patrolling the dinning area looking for scraps. When our waiter eventually attended to us he had no clue as to the wine selection. Our first three choices was out of stock and our fourth choice was limited to 1 bottle as there was no more stock. The selection is very limited and over priced. The meat dishes was mediocre at best although some were actually very good. The salads was a complete disaster. Opening a tin of baked beans and pouring it on a serving dish does not qualify as a salad. The pasta salad was made with budget brand pasta and had no taste. At the end of the meal we had a service charge of R230 added to the bill for 4 people and the waiter added and additional R169.96 gratuity. If the waiter's service was worth a gratuity it would have been 25% of that amount at most. The evening was a huge disappointment and we would not recommend the restaurant to anyone.