“Excellent Food on a Train Restaurant”

The Atlantic Express
Ranked #387 of 1,202 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Some 35 years ago, I used to attend training in Sea Point and used to pass this Restaurant housed in a train carriage. I always wondered and this past weekend, the wondering ceased when I took my girls for a treat. They were excited that they were going to eat on a train and they enjoyed themselves with my youngest having to go to the loo so often just to explore.

A bit narrow with seating not too spacious due to the overall width of the carriage, but the excellent food and presentation with good service made up for any minor deficiencies if any. The carriage still looked good and shows that it has been well maintained. What will definitely bring us back is that it is halaal and that the service and quality of food is excellent.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

My kids joined my husband and I for his birthday lunch at this restaurant. We ordered grilled seafood and meat platters.
Food was excellent and service over the top. The owner was there and gave us a detailed background of the establishment while we waited. He saw to everybody's needs, from my 1 year old grand daughter to my 80 year old mom.
The place is a bit tight, but we managed to bring all the gifts for the man of the moment with.
They had a large selection of drinks. They are a Halaal restaurant.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

If you never had the experience of dinning on the Blue Train or the Euro-Star then this is it, just that you are not on the move and the food is excellent! We had the Sea-Food Platter for two people sharing! But there is only one let down, they don't serve any alcohol! A glass of wine is always welcome with a good meal!,,,,A must try when in the area!!.............

Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Food was excellent and tasteful, freshly prepared and real value for money, had a seafood platter on a halaal restaurant in an old train coach was just too good to be true...liked the food, setup and will surely return

Reviewed 30 May 2017

When one walks past the Atlantic Express and see the state of the kitchen you will immediately have doubts on whether the the food is hygienic let along tasty. When my friend told me that he would like to meet there I thought to my self seriously? Lets not judge them a give the establishment a chance. When I entered I was not comfortable for a start the place looks dirty and everything seems like its life span was used up. The table was stick and the benches looks about to rip. For my meal I ordered the seafood platter they had. The good of the of dish is that it is fairly priced and a good variety. The bad was everything else. The food was bland and not have any flavor in it including the natural taste. The fish did not taste like fish neither did the texture taste like fish. It tasted like they took a piece of fish and fried it whilst frosted. The cray fish tale fried to a chewy texture. Guest I just had the worlds first cray fish bubble gum. I want to emphasis again that everything was drenched in oil. Do not judge a book by its cover but I guess I was right about the Atlantic Express.