Decided to go to the Winchester Mansions for after-noon tea this Sunday as it close by and within walking distance. Even though our previous visit was a disaster with poor quality sandwiches we decided to give it a second try.
Unfortunately our visit this time was no better. We arrived at the inside courtyard to be told that they where not serving afternoon tea as they where still packing up from the sunday jazz brunch.
I then asked for the restaurant manager who was in the background laughing and pinching the female staff. He came over and proceeded to say that it was unsafe in the courtyard as they where moving tables. If we wanted we could go and eat on the terrace at Harveys. I did not take his name but he was French or Italian.
When we got to Harveys there was a sign saying they where closed.... We then sat down anyway and decided to wait. We asked several times for someone to serve us but could only find the cleaning staff. The people at the table next to us where also upset and returned the tea they had because the cups where dirty. After about 30 minutes, someone finally came to take our order. At which time we where fed up and decided to go to La Vie down the road.
I think the owners should take a serious look at the service they provide at the hotel. If the restaurant manager wanted to try and look after us, the least he could have done was take us to Harveys and make sure we where served, which he did not.
I have to say that the location of the hotel is fantastic just opposite, the sea point promenade. But I hope other visitors dont experience such poor service as we have.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winchester Mansions is an iconic building on the seafront in Cape Town within close proximity to the V&A Waterfront and Cape Town International Airport. Free shuttle service to the Waterfront, free wifi internet access in public areas are standard. This landmark hotel offers classic elegant rooms, many boasting stunning sea views. Facilities include a heated pool, relaxing treatments in the Ginkgo Spa, signature dishes from award winning Harveys Restaurant & Bar as well as full service conferencing. Cape Town's most famous and longest running Jazz brunch is hosted at Winchester Mansions every Sunday of the year. The monthly Grapes, Gourmet and Gallery evenings draw large numbers of food & wine lovers and art aficionados. Winchester Mansions - Part of the Journey ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Winchester Mansions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Winchester Mansions Hotel Cape Town Central
- Winchester Mansions Cape Town, South Africa