Book In Advance
In high demand - travellers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Robben Island
from US$ 43.10
from US$ 193.20
from US$ 104.80
from US$ 88.90
7,265 results
All reviews ex prisoner nelson mandela political prisoners ferry ride mandela's cell maximum security prison island tour leper colony lime quarry prison life spent years long walk to freedom humbling experience first hand sea sickness recent history cancelled due
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

When visiting Cape Town the Robben Island tour was a must for us and although we were happy we got to visit the historic island we felt it could have been run alot better. The trip lasts the bones of 5 hours and our ferry was cancelled for a week due to a technical fault which seemed to be very long to us. When you come to queue up for the ferry you are given very little info re trip time, history of island etc. We were then piled onto a bus and bright on a tour by an ex inmate. His story was fascinating but we felt we could have been given more information on the basics before meeting him. Then after some delay we got a bus around the island. It defineltly could be improved on and streamlined a little bit

1  Thank Conchúr D
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

If this is on your must do list when on Cape Town book online before you go. It gets booked up days in advance. We had an exhilarating boat trip, there was a whale visible in the bay. When you arrive, buses meet you to tour the island with a commentary. We saw penguins along the way & passed the village where the wardens used to live. We also saw the quarry where the prisoners were subjected to hard labour. A previous inmate showed us round the cell blocks, including Nelson Mandela’s cell. I’m glad I made the effort to go & will remember it forever.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Being shown around by Sparks, a former political prisoner, and hearing first hand his experiences was probably one of the most humbling things I’ve heard. I learnt so much and I thought I’d read a lot anyway. The whole tour is efficiently organised, covers more than I expected, and is a must do if you’re in Cape Town. Book well in advance, tickets were not available for a month at the time we went ( we booked 3 months ahead).

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Good to experience the culture side of the island. Informative talks from the guides and really interesting to see the jail internally, especially where the late Nelson Mandela spend all those years.

The boat trip to and from the island is pretty fun, but I would avoid if you get motion sickness.
A tad boring as a whole, I don't have kids, but did notice a lot of moaning and groaning from other travellers kids due to boredom.

Take suncream and a hat, it gets very hot on the island during summer.

1  Thank Carmin v
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We didn’t realise you had to book and by chance got 2 tickets from a tour guide who had 2 group members cancel whilst waiting in the booking office and asking everyone if they had spare tickets!!!

Tour lasted from 11am sail till returning at 3pm.

Interesting talk from a past political prisoner, a view from outside of Mandela’s cell and then a bus trip around part of the island.