All reviews these apartments bed apartment table mountain minute walk self catering washing machine and dryer excellent location beautiful apartment we stayed in a two bedroom secure underground parking felt very safe large balcony satellite tv reception area well equipped kitchen cape grace hotel serviced daily
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed in a two-bedroom apartment for four nights. It had a large living/dining room, good-sized and well-equipped kitchen, including dishwasher and washer/dryer, and two bedrooms. The master bedroom was very spacious with a large en suite (with bath and separate shower), and the second bedroom was still a fair size with a smaller but perfectly adequate en suite (bath with shower over). The beds were very comfortable and their was plenty of space for luggage.

There was a huge terrace running the entire width of the apartment, accessible from either bedroom, or the lounge, with plenty of seats/loungers for soaking up a few rays and/or watching the world go by along the canal. We would see through the opposite buildings to one of the marinas and beyond, and even got a reflected view of Table Mountain in the windows of another apartment!

There is secure underground parking, with allocated spaces near to each apartment, and the whole development feels very secure, with gated access ate various points around the perimeter. We walked to the waterfront a few times to eat and take a trip to Robben Island, and it's an easy and pleasant walk, with plenty to see along the way. My husband walked into the city centre too, which is not too far, and although there are lots of busy/wide roads to cross, he felt safe.

We could get wifi in our apartment, although it was quite expensive (170ZAR for 1GB, the smallest chunk of data available). We found the reception staff moderately helpful, not exactly going that extra mile, but always helping us out eventually. They even printed off a couple of documents we needed for our onward travels - for free.

So - this is a very comfortable and convenient place to stay, right near the heart of the city. It's not cheap, but it does feel safe and that's what counted for us, especially with two children. We'd consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I really loved staying in this apartment, perfect location, well-decorated and fully-equipped apartment.
What I didn't like is the bath tub, it needs a tall person to go in the tub. Also, there's no wifi in the apartment because "it's new" as the woman who works in the office said.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ghada1990
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Simply, DO NOT think about staying here!

We have stayed here 2 summers in a row expecting 5 star self catering accomodation as advertised however, the service has downgraded year by year.

The first visit: we booked an apartment (3-bedroom penthouse) 2 months in advance and paid the full amount before arriving. When we arrived after a 15 hour flight, the representative took us another building claiming it was the same one we booked even though we had our confirmation papers in our hands. They should have informed us before leaving our country! There was no value for money in terms of the new apartment we recieved. One bathroom was very smelly, the beds were too mall and the heating system did not work well. The cutlery was rusted and there were a lot of ants in the apartment.

The second visit: after a 15 hour flight to Cape Town and hoping the service had improved:
(1) we arrived and had to wait nearly 1 hour for our apartment (3-bedroom penthouse) to be cleaned by housekeeping.
(2) The master bathroom had a pipe leakage and was under maintenance upon arrival.
(3) The security system went off every 5 - 10 minutes and kept ticking all night. We could not sleep from the annoying noise. We called reception and they kept on sending security individuals who did not know anything about the system. They ended up cutting the wires off instead of fixing it.
(4) The electricity went off 5 times during our 2 week stay. It went off at 5:00am once and we kept on calling reception however, there was no quick answer in such an emergency.
(5) There was no tissuer for 3 days as the supplier did not make a timely delivery.
(6) Everytime it would rain, a bathroom would leak and flood the whole place. No one came to fix it.
(7) The heating system at the top of the penthouse did not work.

Overall, the service is extremely poor, very slow and this accomodation should be changed from a 5 star to a 1 star self catering accomodation!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank exoticjetsetter
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Very poor management--was the most unpleasant part of my entire trip to Africa. My husband and I lease a vacation apartment ourselves, so we try to be understanding. This stay was stressful and annoying, however, and I would never stay there again.

I was attending a professional conference and reserved a one-bedroom months ago for 7-days, then added a day on the front end. Day 1: we arrived and we're shown to an apartment with an obvious moldy smell. The satellite did not work properly ( even after workers made sure we had it on correctly.) Day 2: bugs on the kitchen counter, though we had minimal food. Several workers stopped by and asked us if we were leaving, and security had deactivated our key. Front desk goofed--we were there for 7-more days. The moldy smell was worse. We asked for a new room. None said to be available to day 3. Day 3: my husband was called at 10:30, promised move in 1-2 hours. Did not happen until 4:30--(after he had waited around unnecessarily) then they downgraded us to an efficiency! I complained and they moved us to a nice 1 bedroom. As we were walking over, the woman from the front desk commented on how awful the first place smelled of mold when she put other people there in the past. (Great--why did they do it to begin with?). New place: safe needs new battery; had to ask three people to show us how to operate the heat; we were assured they would find a control for the bedroom heat, and get back to us. No one ever did (no surprise to us, by now.). It took until 5:30 for us to be moved and everything fixed so we could go to dinner. A fully wasted day.

Comments in the first apt's guest book indicated complaints since last March. The management/front desk was consistently poor and unreliable, and I wonder if the owners know about this pervasive odor indicative of a water leak.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank JeanneLS
WaterfrontVillage, Manager at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the poor service you received during your stay, as this is not our standard and we are working on improving our services.
We will do a thorough inspection of the apartments you stayed in to ensure the problems gets corrected.

Kind regards
Johadrie de Villiers

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I booked a specific unit , since I travel to Cape Town weekly for business. I made sure that Jade the booking consultant confirmed the unit. Upon arrival I was given a " bigger unit" at the back of the Victoria Harbour. I travel alone and a bigger unit on the noisy road was a downgrade. I complained at check in and the managers response was kind off "take it or leave it" I did not have time to waste since my flight was delayed on South African Airways and I was already late for my first meeting.Most of the units let by Village and Life are very old and in desparate need of a revamp. I have stopped using them due to poor service in the past but their location is convenient with check in and out .However this was the last time.Most of the lights in my unit were flickering and did not work.The pillows were cheap quality and a rock would have been more comfortable.

Room Tip: Always choose units at the front of the complex on the harbour and not in the back row.Insist on the latest pictures of the unit and not the pictures when the unit was built 10 years ago. Village and Life units are generally old except for a few.Make sure they c,ean yiur unit over week ends since you need to request this despite the website advising serviced units.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Frans B

Dear Valued Guest

I would like to once again apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the moving of your reservation. As I know you are a return guest, I had moved your booking to a Superior 3 bedroom (K601), because the building in which the apartment that was reserved for you was undergoing exterior painting. The reason I moved it was because I did not want you to be disturbed by the workmen from early morning when they started working on the patios.

Please know, that as explained to you upon your check-in, I had moved your booking bearing your best interests and comfort in mind. I would have moved you to another yacht facing apartment, but due to 100% occupation, K601 was the only apartment available.

I have instructed our maintenance department to go and have a look at the flickering lights, that you mentioned in your review.

We value all our guestsand we will continue to work at our short comings to ensure all our guests are well looked after, and have an enjoyable stay.

King regards