The Backpack
US$ 134
Protea Hotels
  • Restaurant
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$ 169
Taj Hotels
Hilton Cape Town City Centre(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$ 142
US$ 130
Hilton
  • Pool
The Westin Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
US$ 187
  • Pool
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$ 278
Hotels.com
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$ 198
  • Pool
The Cape Royale(Cape Town Central)
US$ 197
US$ 177
  • Pool
Hippo Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$ 72
US$ 58
Agoda.com
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$ 107
US$ 60
  • Restaurant
The Hyde All-Suite Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$ 101
US$ 77
Agoda.com
All reviewslong streetfair tradetable mountainprivate bathroombed dormtownship tourcommon areasrooms are cleanenjoyed my stayfelt very safethe location is perfectkloof streetstayed here for nightsstay in cape townsouth africahome away from homehostel
Reviewed 10 April 2018

This place is really cool. The only thing is (and why it is average to me), that it is extremely noisy: noises from outside (busy road) and from inside (ventilation screen in door didn't help). Also if you are a tall person (as myself) the single roomupstairs isn;t really handy cause the roof is tapered to the downside. If you can handle the noise, it is a wonderful place to stay. Breakfast is amazing and the people who work there too, very kind and always ready to help. I lost my phone in an Uber and they took all the time for me to help me find the driver and eventually my phone. Thanks guys!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Lee H, Owner at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Sorry that the room was not suitable for you whilst you were here as we could have moved you if we had space. So happy that you loved everything else especially our buffet breakfast and of course us! We are super excited you got your phone back too.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

This is without a doubt one the best hostels I've ever stayed in.
Apart from a perfect location, super friendly staff, great breakfast and just good quality overall, this hostel distinguishes itself because of the friendly atmosphere.
Whether you're travelling alone, with friends or family, you'll definitely meet new people in The Backpack.
I would recommend and will go there again myself next time I'm in Cape Town.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Lee H, Owner at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are so happy that you had a good time and enjoyed our buffet breakfast. We hope you will be back again soon

Reviewed 26 February 2018

On an exploratory trip of Cape Town to find places for my groups to stay I was impressed that The Backpack put so much work into being socially conscience. I emailed The Backpack to see about ways my group could be involved and was told they would get back to me but after 5 months they never did. At The Backpack, there were a lot of signs explaining how they were helping, but not many opportunities to help out. Other socially conscience backpackers that I have stayed at have gone out of their way to make volunteering, and helping way more accessible than here. Besides that, the location was great, and the rooms okay but truly overpriced for what you got. Finally, I was leaving and needed my key deposit back as I was out of money and wanted to use the R50 for the trip to Langa we were going on. However, they had no record of my payment and instead of being helpful, the manager said that she would have to take the R50 from the worker who was on duty the night we checked in. Of course I didn't take the money and thus screwing the worker but what horrible management skills! She was rude and unapologetic basically calling me a liar about ever even paying the deposit! I will for sure never be bringing any of my groups to The Backpack as we found MUCH better and more social conscience accommodation in Cape Town with truly kind owners and managers.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Lee H, Owner at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Hi Heather I am so sorry that we never got back to you its not our intention to ignore future business or volunteers as they have proved so beneficial for the Heideveld community we are involved in. On our web page there is a direct link to GCU the main project we help with and also a contact us button to get through to chat to reservations.
As regarding the key deposit all our staff know they have to write it in the special receipt books we have printed, a copy is given to the guest and they are notified that at the end of the stay they need to bring it back to us and then if by some small chance the guest has milaid their receipt we do have a back upin our book. However if we cannot find that copy in our book then yes that staff member who was on duty is responsible for paying it back. i am sorry that you were made to feel under pressure but there was no need as all our staff members are aware of this procedure.
Wishing you a many happy returns to Cape Town and thank you for wanting to help uplift our community.
Kind regards
Lee

Reviewed 25 February 2018

found our 2 night stay here somewhat disappointing. Our main floor room was situated right next to a patio where people gathered talking late into the night and smoking. It was hot and there is no air conditioner so we had to shut up our room to avoid the smoke and noise when we wanted to sleep. The windows have no screens and the hostels cat jumped into our room several times uninvited. While we were drawn by the socially conscious themes, we felt it was over priced for the accommodations. We have stayed at other places in cape town that we thought were nicer, homier and a better value that we would return to next time. This does attract mixed age people and offers some common areas that are nice for those that are interested in meeting others. We also felt safe here. The breakfast was only fair: low quality breads, yogurt with bran and corn flakes and a couple varieties of fruits. Would stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: discuss location of the room in relation to the common areas before booking if you desire a quiet, smoke free space.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Lee H, Owner at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us. So sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Whilst our rooms do have fans we do not have air conditioners on the lower floor as the old buildings are generally cooler. I am sorry about the cat jumping in your room and that you did not enjoy the breakfast offerings. On our buffet we also have croissants - plain and chocolate, home made grain brown bread, different cakes and pastries, eggs, chocolate spread, peanut butter,honey and jams.
Kind regards
Lee

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Location is very safe, the staff is friendly. The breakfast is really good, there is fruit and a variety of other breakfast staples and good coffee.

If you are looking for a hostel where people do talk to each other and not keep to themselves then I recommend this place.

You have a view of Table Mountain which is nice and the pool is a great thing to have as well.

Room Tip: No AC prepare yourself!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Lee H, Owner at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. Enjoy your travels