“Service”

Tao Yuan
Ranked #927 of 1,246 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

We did not receive the friendliest welcome at the door. It also doesn't help that you then are never sure where to sit.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

As some other reviewers have highlighted the restaurant is pretty basic but the food is really good, the portions generous and the prices reasonable. A highlight was the duck spring roll starter which really were excellent: the chicken chow mein was really good too.

Reviewed 18 December 2016

It is not only the food that makes a dining experience and at Tao Yuan this was part of the problem. The food was good. The restaurant was full of Chinese tour bus visitors who seemed to be having a good time toasting each other. The noise and vibration from the buses could not be ignored. The atmosphere and with that the decor and cleanliness was all a bit shabby and scruffy. Tables were not cleared for ages and right next to our table we looked at dirty dishes being attacked by flies. We nearly left but decided to stick it out and test the food. This was good and fresh. But we are still on the hunt for a good chinese Restaurant with no msg, oil spray vapours, really good food and a nice ambience.

1  Thank safaripro2015
Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

This is my first time having provided a view on TripAdvisor for a restaurant...... I was so moved by the state of the food, I feel I have to warn people. DO NOT VISIT!

This was quite possible one of the worst meals I have ever had. The meat - if that's what they can call it - was like sponge. Completely void of flavor. The rice was stodgy and full of MSG. And the soup was completely tasteless.

A complete rip off. I wouldn't even feed my dog this stuff!

Reviewed 9 April 2016 via mobile

We ordered won ton soup, black pepper beef, special fried rice and honey glazed pork.

Each dish was prepared using fresh ingredients and was full of flavour. Quality of meat and dumplings was very good, better than most chinese restaurants I've tried around Cape Town. Our waitress advised us on what to choose and what portion size to select. She was very friendly. Food did take a little longer than expected to arrive, but tasted as if it had been freshly prepared. I'd love to go back and try their crispy chicken next time.

The only real disappointment was that they do not serve any desserts.

Decor could do with some work and the restaurant could be a little more tidy. But these are minor issues.

Prices were a little higher, but it's justified by the good quality and fresh ingredients. 10% Service charge is added to the bill.