“Brilliant food and wine”
Review of Meloncino

Meloncino
Ranked #40 of 1,173 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 21
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Meloncino – Ristorante, Bar, Pizzeria Italiano. Experience authentic Italian cuisine in Cape Town. Meloncino Restaurant opened at the V&A Waterfront, bringing a genuine Italian flavour to our shores. The modern and stylish decor creates an eclectic European vibe where one can sip cocktails and snack on canapes, nuts and olives. As someone suggested, “Close your eyes and you could be in Rome.” Open your eyes and you face the magnificent Table Mountain, as seen from the comfort of one of Meloncino’s white sofas. Expect home-made pasta with authentic Italian sauces, steaks and seafood from their charcoal grill, traditional wood-fired pizza and an extensive menu to choose from. In order to stay faithful to the original, various ingredients like cheese, coffee and wine are imported from Italy. Buon appetito!
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Definitely one of the best restaurants in the Waterfront. Real Italian food and excellent wine variety. The food is amazing, very well designed and the service great. In addition they have a terrace with a beautiful view on the V&A Waterfront. Well worth a visit!!

cinzann0capet0wn, Owner at Meloncino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Dear Evabelle92

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am so happy to hear you love our Italian cuisine. We pride ourselves to keep to our roots. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our award winning wine list as we try and cater for all tastes. Thank you for the local support, means the world to us and we look forward in seeing you during the summer season too.

Co-owner

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
There are newer reviews for Meloncino

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I love Italian food but really only eat it on occasion. So when I go out for Italian it better be good. I ordered a pizza which was just amazing. Crispy and delicious! The only problem was that I had order envy of everyone in the restaurant. The smell is intoxicating. I have to go back and try it all. Some really interesting dishes on the menu that are a MUST. You will be seeing me again!

Dear MissVivienneGraham

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am so glad you got to experience our award winning pizzas we offer. It is the same recipe my father uses in Rome. We have designed the menu to cater for a large audience. I do hope to see you on your next visit as I would love to recommend a few of my favourites. Thank you for your local support and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went to this restaurant for dinner at the recommendation of our concierge and were extremely disappointed. I will not say much about the food....it was average. With a party of 9, some food was better than others. One note, the pizza's are pretty good and large, so you may want to share.

What set this place apart was the horrible service. What a joke. The server took our order, gave us drinks, and then disappeared. Never came back to check on us. We waited, and waited. Then, we saw our food on the counter. And we still waited and waited. Eventually, the manager also saw the food just sitting there and called the waiters over to figure out whose food it was. (except ours was still missing). Eventually it was delivered. When I called the manager over to speak about our neglect, she apologized quickly and moved on. Did not feel appreciated at all.

So in the end, I would not go here. There are so many other places to chose from in the waterfront. What is ironic is that when we spoke to our concierge, he said they were known for their excellent service. Cie la vie.....

1  Thank Stwar

Dear Stwar

Thank you for taking the time out and expressing your views on your experience at Meloncino. I am terribly sorry to hear that your experience was a 3/5 rating. We are aware on the night of your visit we had service issues and I can reassure you we have address all the problems. We have spoke to the hotel that recommended you and apologised regarding your situation. It was a once off. Never the less I am sorry to hear that you felt our food was average. Please feel free to mail me paolo@meloncino.co.za in order to assist me as to what you felt was below average. Thank you once again for this feedback as without it we cannot improve. I look forward in hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have tried several restaurants in the V&A Waterfront and this is one of the best. I think that sometimes never in Italy you can eat like this. Good pizza, pasta, meat and fish.
Dishes are very well designed and big enough.

Dear Raika P

Thank you for visiting Meloncino on your visit to Cape Town. We pride ourselves to my fathers roots and make sure our guests feel they are eating in Italy. Thank you so much for all the kind words and I will be sure to pass them onto all staff involved in making your experience amazing! Hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stunning restaurant where we enjoyed great service and great food. Highly recommend the focaccia - probably one of the best ever tasted.

The view is simply spectacular and makes you proud to be South African with the beautiful Table Mountain clearly visible.

My only concern was the price of the wines - very, very pricey for wines you can buy elsewhere much cheaper.

But all in all, great experience and highly recommended.

Dear Jenny-Lee H

Thank you for visiting Meloncino while you were in our Mother City. It was lovely to host you and I am glad you experienced our foccacia which we get constant compliments. I have made a note regarding the wine prices which we will review when creating our next wine list. We try to achieve a balance between price:quality when creating our wine list but your point has been noted. I hope to meet you on your next visit to our lovely city.