“Great SA feast”

Ranked #39 of 1,184 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a Truly South African Restaurant situated in the World Class V & A Waterfront. We serve traditional unpretentious good South African cuisine to international guests and locals alike.
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

A great menu of South African meats and meals. Super atmosphere on the wharf side and the most amazing view of Table Mountain. It was chilly but we were kept warm by heaters and blankets. Service attentive although outside tables are packed tightly so it can feel crowded, but this also adds to the atmosphere. Highly recommend for an SA meat feast at reasonable prices in a location with a view.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

Wonderful service, excellent food, lots of live entertainment. We also were provided blankets due to the cool windy weather. A great value as well!

Reviewed 3 March 2017

I can't believe that the last person to review Karibu was myself back in 2015, but that appears to be the case. Although this place seems to run on a bit of a production line it really is pretty good and offers good value for money in pleasant, bustling surroundings. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food arrives in double quick time. We returned here (sometime in January) for an early dinner having spent a day mooching around the 2 Oceans Aquarium and the Terracotta Army exhibition, plus doing some serious shopping (this was our second visit to the Cape - 5 weeks spanning Dec '16 to Jan '17). Anyway, starving hungry as usual, we did the card with starters, mains and puddings/desserts. My starter eludes me but my mains of a Malay style beef curry was excellent whilst my wife's meat skewer was mighty (and good, she said) and our companion's trout was delightful, he assured us. My dessert of South Africa's famous Malva Pudding was yummy too. The wines are reasonable and the coffee good. What else need one ask for?
NB: Karibu veers towards 'fine dining' and I must confess to feeling a tad under-dressed, I was, in shorts and light shirt - but no-one appeared to mind. However, regardless of local mores I would tend to take more care to dress appropriately on a future visit. Karibu is great fun, though and we'll certainly make a point of returning when we're next on the Cape.

1  Thank Caribauthor
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

We visited as a family of 6 and wanted to taste true African food. The restaurant is very clean, modern and nicely decorated. It has views over the waterfront from its elevated position. Good service as well.
Unfortunately the food just didn't live up to expectations. Some of our party had good meals, others didn't. The lamb ribs which two of us had were on the 'chewy' side, not as tender as expected.
Prices are typical for the area, but there are better places to eat nearby.

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Our fault - we tried to find a restaurant without booking at the V & A on a Saturday evening. Not much choice, but we were quite taken with the prospect of 'South African Dining' Unfotunately, the table we were allocated was virtually invaded by a large Asian party which was accomodated over three tables so close that the waiter couldn't shuffle between us. Not ideal for a couple. The food was ok I suppose, nothing memorable apart from the high price of a very average bottle of wine. Service average too hence the review. A point - I was reminded that a tip of 10% is normal. After detailing my thoughts on the service, it was agreed that my tip was more than fair. This trend to demand a set tip started in America and is becoming unacceptable.