“Incredible place to stay”

Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I booked this place to stay as I could not get a room in Sun City, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It is an amazing place, just a beautiful place to stay. It is located in the Pilanesberg game reserve, and has unbelievable views. The rooms were perfect, the setting magnificent, and the staff excellent. I cannot find a single fault. It has a hide joined to the hotel by a tunnel, and you can watch the animals drinking from the waterhole. This was just brilliant, and was just a little spoiled by some noisy guests (not the fault of the hotel, there are plenty of signs asking for silence).

I can highly recommend the game drive, it is fantastic, with excellent guides.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long walk from the main hotel, good if you are looking for peace and quite, but bad...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob B
ghathers, General Manager at Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such glowing comments regarding your recent stay at Kwa!

I am really pleased that you had such a wonderful stay with us and will certainly to pass your comments on to all the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for some more Kwa Magic.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We flew into SA from Madrid - via Zurich thanks to the ever-progressive Iberia cancelling their direct flights to SA. So Madrid-Zurich-Johannesburg is a minimum 16hr haul, after which we still had to fly JHB - George, another 2hrs. We decided to break the travel and were keen to head to Pilanesberg, where we could see a bit of animal life as well as Sun City. We were originally looking at staying at Sun City itself but a friend recommended Kwa Maritane - it was a great recommendation & in retrospect am very glad we stayed there instead, as the hotel was excellent and only a 10min drive to Sun City (and Sun City itself was pretty quiet, being a Sunday/Monday). The staff at Kwa Maritane were very friendly and attentive, the room was superb, more than ample in size, and very clean. The restaurant was also excellent, with a very relaxing atmosphere and a great balcony to take in breakfast with a few zebras and wildebeest literally meters away. The hide (accessible underground from the hotel) is fantastic, along with the 24hr web cam which you can also view from your room. The pool also looked very tempting, even if it was winter. I would definitely recommend Kwa Maritane.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the "front" (looking towards the watering hole) are great - we moved to one o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Plett_Rocks
ghathers, General Manager at Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at Kwa Maritane.

We are also very grateful to your friend and would like to pass on our gratitude to them for recommending us!

I will certainly pass on your favourable comments to the staff (and animals?) who made your stay a pleasurable one. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Our group of 120 pax had a wonderful 3 day conference here recently. It was quite simply excellent from start to finish. From the GM to the most junior waiter the people at Kwa Maritane exude professionalism and warmth. The facilities are first class and we ended up wishing we had stayed an extra night. The boma dinner is a MUST - we had a really great time dining under the stars with great music, excellent food and service. The food during our stay was superb: fresh, tasty and great quality. We will definitely be back and we would have no hesitation in recommending Kwa Maritane to any discerning group looking for a venue to stage an enjoyable and memorable conference.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

It was an absolute pleasure to be able to host you and your conference at Kwa Maritane.

We are extremely grateful for the wonderful review and for your flattering comments. I will certainly pass them on to all the departments concerned.

We are always delighted when a guest enjoys the special magic that Kwa has to offer and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kwa for your next conference.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

We came back to SA for a visit, and are delighted that we chose Kwa Maritane. The facility was clean and well maintained, the food was excellent, and the overall atmosphere was friendly. The game experience was excellent, and the staff were attentive and caring. Our rooms were superb, and very comfortable. The ranger's knowledge and skills were great, and we learned a lot on our game drives. The boma dinner is a must!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
ghathers, General Manager at Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your recent stay at Kwa Maritane.

We are always pleased when a guest enjoys their stay here and I am glad that you were able to experience the magic that Kwa has to offer. I can't wait to see some of the pictures that you took!

Your kind comments regarding the staff will be passed on to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kwa on your next visit to SA.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I love Kwa Maritane and despite being a time share owner have unfortunately not been able to visit for the last four years. This year I decided to take my two sons (10 and 12 yrs), my parents and my partner who is from the UK and has never been to a game park before. As this was going to be her first introduction to a game lodge I was anxious that Kwa would live up to my expectations and provide her with a great first experience of African wildlife.

First impressions were not good. Despite being e-mailed a confirmation from the timeshare office a couple of months before our arrival the reservations clerk couldn’t find our booking. Facing a week of homelessness was bad however what was worse was the fact that the receptionist didn’t seem care less about our predicament. After stressing that I had received e-mail confirmation which I unfortunately only had in electronic copy she seemed to reluctantly try and figure out the problem. At no stage was I told what was happening or reassured that they were doing anything about our reservation. After about 20 minutes I was presented with my guest card, asked to fill in the blanks and told my room number. No explanation, apology or even recognition of our existence. So not a good start.

After we got to our room things started improving. A herd of Wildebeest was followed by a family of warthogs who were followed by a troop of monkeys. All this was seen from our chalet patio. Then we saw about 4 elephants at the hide. The rooms are well appointed and the 2 main bedrooms are a good size and the boys were happy with their loft room. These are the time share units though and not the hotel rooms. I have seen a few comments about the rooms being dated etc but I was happy with the furnishing and found it appropriate for a game lodge. The patio and BBQ sections are fantastic and look over the game park. While we were there it turned very cold. It actually snowed in the Pilansberg. The heating in the room was not adequate in keeping the chalet warm. Another small niggle was that although the chalet can take 6 people there is only 1 sofa. The TV is on a large chest of drawers and in my opinion it would be better to have the TV on a smaller side table and put in another sofa allowing everyone a soft seat rather than having to use the kitchen chairs.

We had a buffet dinner and breakfast in the restaurant which was excellent. My vegetarian partner was most impressed by the options available to her. Throughout our stay staff were lovely and helpful. Lunch on the deck was also good and we spent a good part of the afternoon watching the game from there. We had an excellent game drive one afternoon with a ranger and saw a good variety of game including a family of rhino that we tracked for about 20 minutes. I have always been happy with the variety of game in the park and this time was no exception.

There are loads of activities on site. Tennis, trampoline, mini golf, climbing wall, two pools, play area so my children were kept busy while we relaxed. The hide is amazing and even my sons managed to stop hassling each other while they were trying to spot game. KWA also has a Junior Rangers program which seems to be like a kiddies club. We did not use it but if you have children it would be worth looking into.

All in all it was a lovely week and one that I hope to repeat in the not too distant future. Next time though I’ll print my confirmation, take someone’s name and call the week before to make sure I have a room!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lavajelly01494
ghathers, General Manager at Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of Kwa Maritane. I am extremely pleased that despite the mishap with your lost reservation (for which I offer my sincere apologies) you still enjoyed your stay.

Your comments regarding the seating arrangements are noted and will be passed on to the Board of Trustees at their next meeting.

The snow certainly caught us all by surprise and although the heating units cope with “normal cold”, I think they were overwhelmed with the sub zero temperatures!

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the food, the staff and everything else – I will certainly pass your comments on to the respective departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kwa in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pilanesberg National Park
4.7 km away
Cabanas, Sun City
Cabanas, Sun City
#3 of 6 in Sun City

Been to Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK