All reviews underground tunnel sun city underground hide game drives watering hole water hole boma braai tennis courts own vehicle the reserve great resort dinner buffet herd of elephants close proximity bush lodge game park spent days
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I agree with everything that Matt G said about this hotel. We were a group of 32, however, so we did not have the check-in issues (we probably caused them for Matt). What a great place. Our room was a little far from reception, but worth the trek to get there. Beautifully appointed, and very clean. Beds are sooo comfortable, and the bathrooms are lovely. We were in 174, so if you need wifi connection, that is the place to get it (very fast). Other rooms did not have equally good hookup.

We loved the game drive and have to compliment the skill and experience of the 2 drivers for our group, Rolf and Phillip. We went out for 2 days, morning and evening. Always dress warmly in layers, especially for the morning drive, it can be quite cold. Rolf was our driver, and he can tell you the names of every animal, bird, tree and plant. I swear he talks to the animals, which can be especially good if the elephants get too close to the truck. I feel privileged to have had the chance to be here and see the wildlife in their habitat.

After racing around the park, we always returned to a wonderful meal in the restaurant. Food was wonderful, great variety of dishes!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank CanadaMapleSyrup
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Check in was simple and fast, the only downside was the amount of people checking in at the same time which is hardly their fault but the vehicle congestion at reception was not good, we had to wait for 15 to 20 minutes for people to move their cars before we could go park and find our room.

Security here is very tight getting on and off site but thats for everyones comfort and safety, a necessary evil but conducted with dignity and consideration.

The rooms was excellent, large and comfortable with a sitting room area. Well appointed and furnished and above all else very clean. I had a ground floor room with a patio outside which was great to sit an take coffee on in the mornings as the sun came up.

The track to some of the rooms can be a little longer than some would like especially if they have mobility issues but believe me when I tell you it is well worth it once you get to the room.

The restaurant is first class, a mix of local, national and international dishes superbly cooked and always hot, I have nothing but praise for the chef and his / her staff. Breakfast is buffet style (as was dinner), which posed no problem to me.

The reserve that the hotel sits within is fantastic, I opted to drive my hired 4x4 around rather than take the inclusive game drive. I saw virtually every one of the big 5 with the exception of the leopards but was stunned by the beauty of the reserve. I took 5 hours in the reserve and over 300 pictures - it was absolutely stunning.

In summary, you can stay here whether you are on business or vacation (holiday) and it will always be a pleasure.

While I was there a troop of baboons came into the complex from the reserve, an amusing experience especially when a rather arrogant tourist refused to close his patin door when asked by the rangers, the big male baboon found the open door, wrecked the room and emerged with a pepper in it's mouth and a box of biscuits under his arm, it was hilarious and poetic justice for ignoring the ranger.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Matt G
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Staying at Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge was an amazing experience. The location and hotel itself is gorgeous. The restaurant on the property is good, and you can see animals like zebras when they come to drink at the dam outside near the patio. The rooms are large and well appointed and have a view of the reserve. There is also a "hide" on the property where you can watch the animals as they come to drink. The pool is beautiful, but we never had a chance to use it. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Anna v
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We only stayed one night, but it was a very comfortable experience. Our double room was very spaceous with a lovely bathroom and very comfy double bed. Our morning game drive was amazing too, but be warned: they do not provide blankets on their drives, so dress up warmly.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed here 1 night on business. If you are looking to spend some quiet time, in the African bush, then this place is highly recommended.

Rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The hotel has well maintained lawns and surroundings which makes it a very pleasant environment. Food is very good, though not spectacular.

Highly recommend the game drive offered by the hotel. Because the hotel is positioned within the Pilanesberg National Park, the rangers know were to find the animals within this massive park and quickly get you to the animals. You can also take your own vehicle into the park, and this is also recommended cause you can drive at your own leisure.

There are some things which will keep this place a 4 star hotel and not 5
1. The chair at the desk is short. I am 1.8m tall and found working with my laptop at almost throat level when seated at the desk.
2. No pen in the room or at the telephone. Little thing I know but quite annoying when you need to take a message.
3. This is my biggest gripe. The attitude of the staff. Once they sense you are local, their attitudes change. Maybe they feel their tips are not going to be in Euros or dollars. They becomce very brash and dismissive. Management will do well to teach their staff to greet guests or even better return a greeting from a guest in the mornings. We even had a waitress refuse to serve us.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business