Lowest prices for your stay
$69
$68
Hotels.com
$68
Priceline$81
Official Hotel$89
Travelocity$68
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2021

they have a great and friendly team, with just minor challenges especially with the doors, sometimes they just don't work and you will spend time outside while they trying to fix them. otherwise, it's a nice place to stay.

Date of stay: November 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2021

Arriving at the hotel, it's very scenic. The area where I stayed was all single story and opened to a large parklike area. Rooms were clean but dated but worked for what I needed it for...sleep. I was disappointed with the shower as the water never got above warm, although I notified the hotel. There is a large patio next to the bar that works well for relaxing at the end of the day. A Breakfast buffet was provided daily with a good complement of local foods.

Room tip: Rooms on N/side are older but they are 1 story and open to the park. Newer rooms are in a multi-story building.
Date of stay: January 2021
Reviewed 15 October 2020 via mobile

I stayed at the Winkler for about a week with a discounted rate due to Covid19.
The hotel is beautiful, the park in front is huge and the place is perfect for kids and adults alike. I opted not to take my breakfast and dinner there, so can't tell about the restaurant.
The staff was always very helpful as in a top hotel. Beds were comfy and the bathroom is smallish but has a bath and is clean.
I highly recommend this hotel if you want to have a relaxing stay in White River

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
Simon Sutherland, General Manager at Premier Hotel The Winkler, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2020

Good day David,

Thank you for your kind words and great review after your recent stay with us at Premier Hotel the Winkler.

I cannot agree more regarding the gardens, two weeks of solid rain ensure a beautiful lush green lawn and Spring is most certainly n full swing now.

I'll be sure to share your comments with the wonderful TEAM I am blessed to work with

Thanks again for the review.

Yours in Hospitality.

Simon Sutherland

Reviewed 27 September 2020 via mobile

Spent the long weekend from 24th September to 26 September with my Family. The Rooms were clean but outdated. The TV is very old not working. The Staircases were full of dust. The place needs serious upgrading. It used to be owned by Protea Hotels and it was up to standard but now, nothing was done since my last visit around 2010.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Simon Sutherland, General Manager at Premier Hotel The Winkler, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2020

Good day Jaco bg.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us

Glad to see that your room was clean and up to the post Covid 'Premier Clean Standard.'
On the TVs, we ae in process of replacing the current flat screen TVs to an updated version. I was not aware of any issues over the past weekend with any of them not functioning and apologies if that was the case. Had we have known I'm sure we could have dealt with it, as the maintenance TEAM were on hand throughout.

Regarding the staircases, as you saw they are exterior stairs and with all the gardens and leaves around us even the slightset wind causes issues. And be assured that the entire hotel was scrubbed in the days leading up to the long weekend in preparation and awakening from the lockdown.

On a positive note we have planned a refurbishment for winter next year. Which was due to have been done this year but with all that transpired we were not able to do so.

Hopefully it will be completed before your next visit, and please don't keep us waiting for another ten years.

Thanks again for the review.

Yours in Hospitality

Simon Sutherand

Reviewed 9 January 2020

I travel alot for business and have been subjected to some strange hotels, this however probably the worst by far.

So disappointing we packed up and drove home the next morning.

Mrs Houston was given a free two night stay in any Premier hotel as part of a prize for work well done so we decided to book our two night stay at The Winkler in Whiteriver (we were in Hoedspruit for holiday at the time)

The Hotel promises Wifi and Satellite TV in the room, yes there is wifi but only if you sit in the common area's such as the bar or restaurant. When i asked about the TV, i was told that Management have done away with it...No reason given. We could however watch SABC 1 and 2 and e'tv with BBC on one fuzzy channel.

I also had issues with the fact that they dont offer sealed bottle water in the rooms, I was told that they have there own bottling facility in the Hotel and that I should use the bottle of water supplied by them, I was not convinced that the water is safe to drink based on the general state of the Hotel. The Manger eventually gave me a sealed still water...thanks

The general state of the room was poor and outdated. The toilet seat was coming apart, Mrs Houston didn't want to use it as she was worried about bacteria lurking in the exposed wood...please see pictures attached

No slippers or dressing gowns

No emergency evacuation plan attached to the back of the door

No staff on hand to helpe with luggage up to the second floor. The house keeping staff did great us as we struggled past them going up the stairs

Drinks price...R30 for a small tin of dry lemon as mixer, R75 for a 500ml
beer

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
SimonS5996, General Manager at Premier Hotel The Winkler, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2020

Good day 343adyf,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us.

I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused during your visit and that you felt that you had to depart earlier than anticipated.

We do currently provide complimentary, uncapped WiFi in the public areas, but sadly not the entire property, however we hope to have this rectified in the near future and have been engaging with various service providers to have this service. All going well by the end of February, if not sooner.

Regarding the Satelite channels, we are in the process of trialing the open view system, due to the challenges currently faced with Multichoice, and you should have had access to many more channels than the ones you mentioned. On checking the TV in your room, I noticed that the tuning was out of synch and has now been resolved.

The evacuation sign on the back of the door was broken by a GUEST over the festive season and as each room is customised have had to wait for the sign shop to reopen to order a new one.
The chipped toilet seat has been replaced thank you.

As with most hotels we use the Vivereau bottled water system as part of our conservation project and guarantee that the water used in the filling of these bottles comes from a filteration machine. However ALL our water at The Winkler is potable and checked on a monthly basis.

The Slippers and gowns are not a standard at Premier Hotels, but are always available on request.

The drinks prices are again an industry norm throughout South Africa, with the exception of the local craft beer, on tap that you ordered. Nationally produced beers are priced again, at industry norm prices.

Once again, sincere apologies for not living up to our standards on this occasion, and would look forward to the opportunity to rectify such and show you what Winkler hospitality is about, given another opportunity to do so.
Please feel free to contact myself directly at the hotel.

Looking to hearing from you.

Yours in kindness.