Review Highlights
BIRDING PAR EXCELLENCE

This is definitely the Rolls Royce of bird spotting. Themba and Patrick were so knowledgeable... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Muriel D
Ballito, South Africa
Sensational Bird walk St Lucia

We went on a bird walk with Themba and Patrick on Nov 30th at 5am until 8.45 am so just back in... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
jaynekaren2017
Birmingham, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews bird calls bird guide birding tour great birding his knowledge narina trogon hour walk bird watching tour bird walk different species special birds an absolute few hours birds including zulu culture knowledgeable guide south africa
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We went on a half day trip with Pinidile and an intern who was also very knowledgable. Pinidile was very patient and made sure we saw the birds she was pointing out. Neither of us are birders but we figured that St. Lucia is great birding destination and we should get some help finding and identifying birds. These people knew all the places to go, made sure we had bug spray for some mosquitos and showed us birds. We went to a vacant lot in town and saw at least 10 varieties, then to a sewage plant/ lagoon at least 20 more then a walk in the woods still more and finally the estuary still more. We saw the southern brown throated weaver, sooty tern and fish eagle plus a samango monkey.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank roadieplanner
Themba M, Owner at Themba's Birding and Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Many thanks for such a good review . I really appreciate it! We will always make sure that our birding experience differs very far from other wide range of other similar activities by making sure that your tour is privatised and your birds seen are unique. I personally will keep up an updated training of my guides to help provide a good quality services from time to time. Thank you!

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Themba is a superb bird guide, once of the best I have ever encountered. He is quiet spoken and friendly. His field identification skills are superb. His ability to mimic the bird calls is outstanding. He uses an old truck to get around, which is suitable for the activity encountered. He does not provide food or drink, so you must bring your own or buy it along the way. I hired him for 3 days and paid him for 3 days, but he only provided me with 2.5 days, leaving the last day for a meeting. This was not appropriate in my opinion. However, to balance this criticism he took me out very early the day before to find wet grassland birds in a location far away from St. Lucia. We found 3 species of Longclaws in a couple of hours which was outstanding. So maybe this extra long day balanced the half day. I highly recommend hiring this young man as a bird guide, but make sure you agree on price and timing in advance.

Date of experience: June 2017
Themba M, Owner at Themba's Birding and Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Many thanks Paul, for sharing with most of the world our incredible birding experience in St. Lucia- South Africa. From my few long years of experience I will always try to share with every connoisseurs as well as beginners alike, the love of nature and birding tourism in South Africa. Thanks a lot for your support to choose the right place for birding experience again.
I'm looking forward to meet you in future being more advanced that time again.

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Themba was a very knowledgable guide who gave us excellent advice on the special birds we were looking for.He was also enthusiastic about birding and having grown up in the area knew the finer details of the birds . We were very fortunate to see the Rosy throated longclaw a very rare and also stunningly beautiful bird (please see pics) as well as Neergards sunbird, Black Cuckooshrike , Pink throated twinspot, Black winged Lapwing and many other birds we would never have seen without him.The best guide we have been with in our native South Africa by far!!

Date of experience: July 2017
Stluciabirding, Owner at Themba's Birding and Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Many Thanks George & Karin for your interest and compliment on our great birding trip. We always try hard to deliver according to our birders's expectations and I m glad to this far we are still keeping on a good track. We will continue to do so to please our clients while promoting birding tourism.

Looking forward at giving such an experience to our next client.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

We had an awesome time birding with Themba. His knowledge is excellent and he showed us all the birds we asked for. I will highly recommend him if you are in the area for birding. On our own we would never have found the birds we were looking for.

Date of experience: June 2017
Stluciabirding, Owner at Themba's Birding and Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Dear Johan and thanks for great review and your support to appreciate the great birding of is St.Lucia birds.

We will continue to ensure our visitors a great birding delight.

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We did a half day of birding with Phindile, born and raised in St Lucia and a wonderful teacher. Her excitement about the birds was contagious and we delighted in her ability to mimic the bird calls. We started in the park, then went on a forest walk to see the birds there--managing to sight several quite special birds. We then headed to he shore to spend time watching the shore birds, not to mention a few nearby Crocs. Then we ended our half day at the "sewer", a reedy area that was home to a lot of very interesting bird life. We couldn't have been happier. And we would highly recommend Phindile; not too many women guides, and she was quite good.

1  Thank KayakDC
Stluciabirding, Owner at Themba's Birding and Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear Kati

Thanks for your great review.

It's a pleasure that You had a great time with Phindile. Phindile is one of my Birdlife & FGASA trained lady-guide -She trained with me few years ago before attaining her formal training with FGASA .She is very enthusiastic emerging-female guide in the industry and I m looking forward at recruiting many others of the same calibre.It is indeed such a culture at our birding tours to deliver exceptionally well according to our client's needs.

All the Best until we meet again in South Africa. Thank you!