2 people are viewing this hotel
$67
Expedia.com$72
Hotels.com$72
Priceline$82
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 June 2021

I stayed here a few years ago and gave it a rave review so I went out of my way to stay here again without checking the reviews. Well it is 0400 and I have not slept at all, They put me in a room above the pool filter and it is like being in a washing machine with the gurgleing, hissing, thumping and churning right under my head. Early on, I did ask reception to turn it off but they say that the maintenance guy had gone home. The wifi code doesn't work, I cant get the TV to switch on the bedside lights have no switches, the bath is stained, the carpets are burned so all I can do is stare up at the sagging ceiling. All this for a rack rate of over R1,000 per night. Shocking! I should have slept in my car,

Room tip: I was in room 203. Avoid
Date of stay: June 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank lad123
Nisha MacDougall, General Manager at Mercure Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2021

Dear lad123

Can you please email me with your reservations details so I can investigate your complaints? My email address is H2918-GM@accor.com.

Reviewed 4 April 2021

General response to bad reviews is as pathetic as the place itself. The place doesn't even deserve a one star hotel rating. The rooms were beyond bad. The bedding wasn't fresh. Bathrooms pathetic. Lights don't work. Kettle broken. Coach and carpets dirty.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Nisha MacDougall, General Manager at Mercure Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2021

Dear protopiannelsonn

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. In order o investigate the matter further so I can re-train the Housekeeping team, can you advise us on your room and name you made reservation? I could not find your username in our profile. Please email me details H2918-GM@accor.com

Reviewed 28 March 2021

Everything was so bad, we were in shock.

From the bedroom - how can you call this a Junior suite? Stains in the bathroom, cigarette burns on the rug, air conditioning not working well !

Then the restaurant ?? What a disaster !!!
They offer a 'a la carte menu' and then tell you that only 3-4 plates are available !
They offer a wine list, and then only 2 bottles are available !

It seems like this place should have been closed down long long time ago !
What a deception.

We chose Mercure because we thought this would be a very nice stop after a 6+ hours car drive before going to Kruger Park.

We will never again choose Mercure without reading the comments first.

900 ++ rands for this ? Please. This establishment doesn't even deserve a star.

Room tip: Go elsewhere
Date of stay: March 2021
Nisha MacDougall, General Manager at Mercure Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2021

Dear lyne75m

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Nelspruit Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have addressed your valued points to the various staff members in order to prevent re-occurrence. Please be advised that we have recently employed new Food and Beverage Manager that has vast experience and will turn around the department.

Reviewed 4 November 2020

First disclaimer. We were supposed to stay here in April. Hotel was closed due to covid. Took me few months to get my money back, but it finally happened. So I was in contact with the GM before we checked-in this time.

Well....so all should have gone smoothly for a Gold Member. Last time I stay her was some 8-10 years ago.

On check-in, zero recognition as a Gold Member. I had to call the GM to explain to her about the welcome drink vouchers. Once in the room, zero note or welcome from management. Next, the towels are filthy. They are simply grey and years old. Next...try to get your drink at the bar. They have wine, but not a decent wine glass in view. Look like the GM never checked this place after the lock down! Next, the swimming pool is even more dirty than the towels...had a look....but no thanks! Disgrace!

We left at 4.30am....went to pick up my invoice. This is a 24 hours hotel....but nobody in reception beside a cute cat for a good 10 minutes. We left!

Next stay, after the Friday night stay, her we are back on Sunday night. Nice staff at reception....but this time no towels in room...and pillow cases are disgusting!

I wrote an email to GM Friday evening. We were in hotel from Sunday evening till Monday morning 10.45am...guess what...got a reply around 4pm on Monday. Maybe the GM is just a part time one, or she is never involved in the property!

This place is not even the level of a budget Ibis. But I personally have more issues with properly none competent or let's put is simply...non-existant management!

Avoid this place!

Date of stay: October 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank 73P-Alex
Karien Linde, Other at Mercure Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2020

Dear 73P-Alex

I apologise that you felt that you were not treated as VIP guest and that I consider my job as part time. When I received your email, I had an emergency at the hotel and could not attend to your problem immediately. I did reply to your email in the afternoon explaining to you that we are attend to and resolving your problems.

You mentioned you did not get your refund in time - when you contacted us in April, I advised you by email that we did not have access to the hotel and systems as we were on lock down. Once we were allowed to travel, we immediately refunded your account. I was in continuous contact you with advising you of the situation.

I will take your suggestions on board in being a better manager.

Regards

Reviewed 27 October 2020

If travelling as a family of 3 and above, self-catering hotel apartments at Mecure hotel are a good value in the area.

Although we booked a 2x 4 sleeper units (2 bedrooms), there was not enough crockery for the booked guests in both units. This was however not an issue for us as we travel with our own crockery and cuttlery.

A street across Ilanga shopping Mall. Unit 600 is adjuscent the mall delivery dock so the noise from the delivery trucks early hours (from 05:00am) of the morning can be a nuisance.

Room cleanliness is okay but can be better. The couches had a stinch, the dining chairs had visible stains that require attention. The linen was clean.

Overall, okay but with room for improvement in terms of maintaining hygiene.

Date of stay: October 2020