All reviewsnew wingwalking distance to the beachnice hotelsmall kitchenettea king size bedrooms are largebath and showerrestaurants and barsper dayfriendly and efficient staffcentral locationhotel restaurantself cateringbusiness triplocation is greatchecking inrooms are great
Reviewed 13 September 2017

I stayed here on a midweek business trip. The hotel is nice and central in Umhlanga, with the beach and many restaurants nearby. A nice touch is the meal voucher for supper, which gives you selection of restaurants to choose from. I unfortunately didn't make us of this because my conference included a meal at the venue. My room was comfortable, clean and spacious, with a view from the 8th floor. Free wifi is available in your room. The only drawback was a large area of construction outside the hotel, but this is at no fault of the hotel itself. The staff were all helpful, and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

This was the first time I stayed in the Protea Hotel in the Umhlanga Rocks area. My experience was delightful. I travel frequently for business and see many different hotels, and this certainly ranks in the top of the affordable hotels for me. It was recently upgraded and has a fresh, modern look, with a nautical theme, which is what you would expect from a hotel that is walking distance from the beach.
The restaurant is modern and well equipped, and large lounge chairs gives the hotel a very relaxed and stylish feel.
I loved my stay here and will definitely return soon, perhaps for a family holiday!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

It's a place to stay, certainly nothing special. Clean and sterile, but no personality, and staff are unhelpful. It was the slowest check-in ever. Wifi didn't work well. Key card stopped working half way through our stay. The bar is empty because barman is disinterested in helping customers. Had to go somewhere else to get service. For the price you can do much better elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jonathan H
ProteaHotelUmhlanga, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Dear Jonathan H

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga with us.

One of our key priorities is to provide the highest level of friendly and courteous service. While it was a pleasure having you here as our guest, your feedback regarding the service our team provided caught my attention. I am very sorry to learn that the quality of service provided by our front desk and bar staff did not quite meet your standards. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the team in an effort to improve our service delivery.

Thank you for being a Marriott Rewards Silver member and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Umhlanga Rocks.

SylviaD

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We stayed at the Protea Hotel in Umhlanga last year when in South Africa, they were in the process of building a new section. The hotel was fine for what we wanted at the time, looked in need of some TLC though. We had a change of plan while in South Africa this year and again stayed at the Protea but in the newly completed section. What a terrific transformation, just beautiful, we were staggered at the difference.

The design, the rooms, fittings and furnishing just beautiful.

Breakfast was sumptuous in very comfortable surroundings, staff very friendly, we just loved it and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Our 3 night stay at the newly refurbished wing of Protea hotel Umhlanga was great. We had good quality sleep throughout, on comfortable beds with clean, crisp white bed linen. The rooms are modern, new, clean, everything works as it should...but the very best thing about this Protea is the super friendly staff from the security people, the check in staff and the cleaning staff. All smiles, happy to see you. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, so cannot comment on the food. The hotel is within walking distance of restaurants on the main street and also the beach, so if you don't feel like driving around much for a day or two, this should be perfect.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family