“Amazing”

Markets of Warwick Tour
Ranked #19 of 85 Tours in Durban
More attraction details
Owner description: Markets of Warwick Tour is a 2.5 hours walking tour through the 9 informal markets in Warwick Junction. Warwick Junction lies on the edge of the Durban's inner-city and is the primary public transport interchange in the city. On an average day the area accommodates 460 000 commuters, and at least 6000 street vendors. Given the confluence of rail, taxi and bus transport, this area has always been a natural market for street vendors. The Markets of Warwick includes between 5000 and 8000 vendors trading in 9 distinct markets. Currently this is the only informally structured market in a public space of this magnitude, and thus establishes itself as the single most authentic African market that South Africa has to offer. The products available vary from beadwork, traditional arts and crafts, traditional cuisine, fresh produce, music and entertainment merchandise, clothing, accessories and traditional medicine. We run tours everyday between 9:30 - 12:00 and 13:00 - 15:30.
Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

It was a very interesting and eye-opening experience! Great guide, felt very safe at all times. I would go back for sure...

Date of experience: December 2016
Nonhlanhla N, Tour Coordinator at Markets of Warwick Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2017

We appreciate the review, thank you very much.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"stories"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 17 December 2016

I booked this tour in advance then cancelled based on a local's recommendation that the area was shady and it wasn't a place to get souvenirs. I rebooked again when a fellow traveler told me about her experience and I'm SO glad I did. The tour includes 9 markets. Only one of them has souvenirs (Victoria St. Market) but its a jackpot as it has over 180 stores with great prices (Durban is much cheaper than Cape Town and Joburg so buy here before going to a different city). All of the markets were unique and our guide did an excellent job of explaining EVERYTHING. We were able to taste a local snack at the Berea station market (zulu burger), get a local delicacy at the bovine head market, see unique ingredients used by healers at the herb market and learn about local traditions at the lime & impepo market. I would recommend doing the tour first (1.5 hours) then staying an extra hour or two to do shopping.

Date of experience: November 2016
4  Thank christinahP9220OQ
Nonhlanhla N, Tour Coordinator at Markets of Warwick Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2016

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you rebooked and got to experience the markets. We hope to see you again with more of your friends and family in the near future. Best Regards, Markets of Warwick Tour

Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

I embarked on a fascinating tour of the Warwick Triangle markets with Slindile who was a great source of information. I suppose I could have visited those markets by myself but it was nice to be accompanied by someone who really knows the area. I found the herb market especially interesting and unique; that place bent my head

Date of experience: June 2016
1  Thank NicholasPeart83
Nonhlanhla N, Tour Coordinator at Markets of Warwick Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

Thank you for the review and for visiting the Markets of Warwick. We are glad that you enjoyed the experience and that Slindile was a great source of information. We appreciated your feedback and thank you for liking our facebook page @marketsofwarwick. We are looking forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

A very interesting tour of the markets in Durban. Highly recommended this organised tour, which is provided by market stall holders to promote the diversity of produce. This is a safe tour in an area that you may not normally feel safe to go. All the stall holders are helpful,friendly and not at all pushy. You have a tour guide, you wear a lanyard which helps stall holders recognise you.
The bovine head cooking market is not recommended if you are a vegetarian or vegan! In total there are 8 markets to be seen. Takes about 2.5 hours and is 100 rand per person. We bought some great things and learnt so much about the Zulu culture.

Date of experience: February 2016
2  Thank Vicki T
TasmiQ, Public Relations Manager at Markets of Warwick Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Thank you for writing the review. We are glad that you enjoyed the experiencing the Markets. Regards Markets of Warwick Team