“Great Food and Friendly Staff”
Review of Amaravathi Palki

Amaravathi Palki
Ranked #45 of 712 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Indian Cuisine - 21 years of excellence! Durban’s No1 authentic Indian Restaurant bringing the Taste of India to South Africa. Family restaurant
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We went twice to this restaurant and was very pleased on both occasions. Staff are friendly and very helpful with regards to choosing meals. Meals do take a while but thats because they are so busy with take out orders too. Our veg breyani was worth the wait. Give this restaurant a try the next time you around

Marimuthoo G, Owner at Amaravathi Palki, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Madam

many thanks for your lovely review. We appreciate your kind comments

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

I love authentic Indian food, so I persevered and went 3 times to Palki, as the food is really good. But the service is SO SO SOOO bad, that I’ve given up. Owner is plain RUDE and his staff are all completely uninterested. Waiting for 10 min for somebody to bring you cutlery - after the food arrived - is just par for the course! And for all the plastic table cloth and the tacky decor, the place ain’t cheap.

Dear Giomarcondes

Thank you for your many visits to Palki. We appreciate this tremendously. The food is definitely the best, even Warner Brothers thought so when they chose Palki to supply food that appears in their movie being released in the near future. We are immensely proud to have been chosen amongst a number of potential restaurants.

I note you anger with the service received. Please e-mail me your details on my private e-mail address: mari@mrgengineering.co.za

There is no owner that is present is the restaurant as my wife Colleen and I are the only owners. I apologise profusely for the poor service you received and will take stern action against those involved.

With regards to the decor, we apologise for this too. Palki has been at the Tinsley House building for 20 years now and we are in the midst of renewing our lease which had not been confirmed for months due to us wanting to relocate. Hence we did not want to spend money on upgrading the decor. We have now signed a 5 year extention to the lease and will be upgrading various aspects of the decor very soon.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

My second time at this restaurant with clients and international guests. The restaurant once again impressed everyone, even the non curry eaters! What outstanding food, warm and welcoming service and great value for money. The dosa really is a work of art and every dish without exception was delicious. No frills, nothing fancy, just excellent food that is served well. Highly recommended.

Mari G, Owner at Amaravathi Palki, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear Jenny
Thank you for your wonderful comments which are sincerely appreciated.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Just simply the best Indian I have had in AGES. Every dish has a unique taste of its own (unlike some places where everything's the same) and has clearly had time to marinade.

Marimuthoo G, Owner at Amaravathi Palki, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Wow! What a compliment - thank you so much.
Unofficially I must let you know that your sentiments were expressed by the people who shot a Warner Brothers movie on the South Coast of KZN. They checked out many restaurants but chose Palki for its authentic and unique dishes - movie to be released next year, then only can we advertise.
See you soon at Palki and thanks once again

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My first visit to this restaurant and since our anniversary fell on a meat free Saturday my other half made reservations as he claimed the veg is really good and he was right as always we started off with the aloo paratha which I absolutely loved, for mains we decided to go with the North Indian and South Indian thalis. An assortment of veg with basmati rice and naan, the food was plentiful and delicious, definitely could feed more than 2 people and we gladly took the rest home, service was not the best but where service lacked the food definitely made up for it. I'm very eager to try the non veg food on the menu so I guess a next visit is on the cards.

Marimuthoo G, Owner at Amaravathi Palki, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear Ms Annette

We sincerely thank you for taking time out to give Palki a review. I am very glad that you enjoyed your meals. Did you know that Warner Brothers people did the same and tried out our Menu and then chose Palki to participate in its movie shot on the South Coast - we are not at liberty to discuss this movie until it is screened in South Africa. Having said that thank you for your wonderful comments.
Regarding the service, I will have a serious discussion with the Manager and staff.

Look forward to seeing you at Palki soon.