“Fine Dining”

Cuisines: International, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Wow - creative food options and I believe that they have a Chefs Student School and they get a chance to try their dishes on guests.

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

So enjoyed the wine and food pairing evening. Delicious food - 6 courses and a desert served with wonderful wine. So interesting to learn more about wine estates and also the chefs. Service was excellent too. Will definitely return. Highly recommended

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Trainee chef Kyle was on duty at lunchtime, a very pleasant young man but he should have been supervised. Asked if there was fresh line fish he disappeared for a few minutes & returned with the answer only one portion but he failed to find out what fish it was. Two of us ordered duck which was too small a portion & way too dry & the 3rd member of our party had the dishwasher steak which was overcooked. At 13.30 the manager, clearly dressed for the beach & a tad rude, indicated we needed to order deserts as the kitchen was closing. Needless to say we didn't bother & moved to another venue to finish our wine. No wonder there wasn't another patron in the restaurant!

Shaun S, Owner at Fusion, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

I am truly sorry that your dining experience was not up to standard. I have dealt with the parties concerned, and apologise for us seriously dropping the ball. Unfortunately Kyle is indeed a trainee, and I have not showed him this review for his own sake as he would be really gutted and it would profit him little to stress about his role in this - other than to say, as a chef trainee he should have been aware of the fish of the day. Correctly said, I believe the rest was a failure of supervision. I believe you were given a bottle of wine in compensation for the comedy of errors on our part, and I hope in part that gesture was accepted in good faith for our blunder. We certainly hope to see your return under more favourable circumstances. Once again, apologies for dropping the ball. kind regards, Chef Shaun.

Reviewed 8 April 2016

Its a little pricey for the quality of food.

The chef was also drunk as a skunk when he came out to ask about the food. Not a problem to me, as i was packing away the drinks too, but its maybe not very professional - for this reason, i will not rate this as a family friendly restaurant

I liked the dry ice ice cream, that was cool.

TBH though, unless the prices were lowered, I would not visit again.

1  Thank Jessie_swan
Shaun S, Owner at Fusion, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2016

Hi Jessie

Thank you for your review... However I am a bit concerned about this drunk chef that you mention that 'he came out', as all my chefs are female.... only my front of house manager is male.

I would really appreciate you making contact with me via email on shaunsmith@fusioncooking.co.za. many thanks. shaun

Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

My husband wanted to go somewhere a bit different for his birthday last night, and Fusion is really the only place in Durban that can't be categorized into any "standard" cuisine. The food is interesting and just a bit more exciting than the usual popular places. We started with some tapas, delicious although I thought they were a little too salty. Our mains were great (duck and the Mexican dishwasher steak), but brought to our table at different times. Same problem with dessert, mine only came well after my husband had finished his. We found that rather annoying, especially as the restaurant was quite empty. I think the chef that evening was from the chef school, so maybe something to improve on there..? Would definitely go back for the great food and otherwise great service though.