All reviews home away from home la lucia mall nice shower homely feel easy access to the beach lovely room rooms are spacious a great place to stay location is great caroline accommodation sheets venue
Reviewed 28 August 2017

The guest house looks gorgeous in the web photographs. When we first walked into our rooms, the immediate feeling was of lushness and lovely decor. Interesting finishes and textures complement each other to create a feeling of extravagance.
However, upon spending a little time in the rooms and bathrooms, we both discovered that the walls and carpets were dirty. The coffee plunger in my room had been used by a previous guest and had not been cleaned. Something that could easily be taken care of.
The stairs are noisy, whenever someone used them, in my room it sounded as if clumps were being used.
The breakfast at the guest house is really divine. A huge variety of options (12 types of cereals, 8 types of cheese, 10 types of jam, etc.) are available. The dining area is well appointed and the open views toward the swimming pool makes for a happy meal.
The guest house has direct access to the beach, which we enjoyed.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
CAROLINE S, Owner at Cowrie Cove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Thank you for your constructive review Adri.
There is no excuse for a " Used Coffee Plunger" we will be more vigilant in future when checking the rooms prior to guests arrival.
Carpets are always a problem....the carpets in Suite 7 which you were in were replaced in August 2016 after the entire Guest house was flooded out. All the carpets in the Guest House cleaned on the 10/11th August of this year - your colleague was in Suite 8 which had no carpets. Unfortunately due to the spillage of coffee,hot chocolate and various other substances by guests the maintenance of carpets is an ongoing battle.
Perhaps one has to admit defeat and remove all the fitted carpets !
We do try with our breakfast so pleased you enjoyed it!
CAROLINE SWART.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

The Cowrie Cove was the perfect place for me to be post-safari for a few days. After spending a week out trekking and sleeping in the wilds, I felt held by the cozy, friendly comfort of Cowrie Cove. I was in room #7 and while there is not direct access to outside from this room (like with a deck or sitting area) or a window with a big view, it served the purpose of a very affordable, cozy, clean and comfortable room. And oh! Caroline and her husband made me feel so welcomed! I enjoyed my conversations with them and their good nature and readiness to support me with getting acquainted to Durban and other details. And the breakfasts - yum!! I loved being able to sit in the beautiful dining area and spend my time reading while savoring each bite of the delicious breakfast. I also appreciated Caroline's support of my gluten-free and dairy-free diet (even though I did make exceptions for the croissants!). Overall, I would highly recommend Cowrie Cove to the solo traveler!

Room Tip: #7: no direct access to outside with a deck or windows with views, yet it served my purposes of having a place to "cocoon".
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank MeganW2726
Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

This place is fantastic.
Situated in a lovely quiet neighbourhood.
Rooms are spacious and clean.
Very modern layout. All rooms fitted with AC, TV, mini fridge and coffee facilities.
Nice clean swimming pool, with a private walkway all the way to the beach.
Staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
This place come HIGHLY recommendable
for any kind of stay, from corporate visits, weekend get aways to shopping spree's.
Cowrie Cove is perfectly situated and equipped.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

Established b&b with comfortable bed and great shower. Lovely staff and breakfast.
Blink and you are on the beach in less than a minute.
The host, Caroline supply's all day free hot drinks and moorish biscuits to tempt you.
Safe area with easy access to town.
Recommended.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2017

This was a great place to stay. We came for a long weekend and we found the staff to be super friendly & helpful, the rooms were laid out nicely and had comfortable facilities. The location was great - so close to the beach. We will definitely stay here again when we come back through Durban.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel