“Intercontinental Hotel, Sandton Johannesburg, South Africa” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Sandton
Atlanta, GA
“Intercontinental Hotel, Sandton Johannesburg, South Africa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Flew into Joburg from the States. Just a mere 16 our nonstop flight. Actually wasn't so bad as it was overnight which does make it easier But this review is about the hotel. Arrived in Joburg at the beginning of their winter. Don't let the travel books fool you, when the sun goes down it is COLD!!! And in the early morning. Their winter albeit are mild but just the same have a jacket you can depend on.

On to the hotel, it is a 5 star hotel and the staff is VERY VERY friendly. They will go out of their way to get it, finer it, fetch it. What ever you need. Fortunately, Sandton Mall is right next door and has fabulouse restaurants of if you tire of the hotel fare which is superb. Breakfast is either off the menu or their is this fabulous bat from everything to meats , sushi to the regular breakfast things. I tried purposefully to eat light so I had the nonfat yogurt with fruit and the most wonderful coffee.

We did not do dinner at the hotel. We ventured to the mall and most of the restaurants concentrate on an array of meats like beef, ostrich . My husband found the ostrich wonderfull. I stuck with a white fish that I didn't care for too much. I do have to say that everyplace I ate had the the most tender calamari I have ever had. Flavorful, not tough. It was great.

The rooms are beautiful with spectacular granite bathrooms, the bed are incredibly comfortable. Just make sure you bring enough converters as S.A. Is either 215? Or 220 but we just didn't have enough. You get the morning news delivered to your door each morning. There is a shoe shine fellow in the lobby that really can come in handy,

Security is tight and there is not a problem in Sandton.

Now for my negatives and why I gave it only 4 stars. The Internet voucher you receive seems to constantly go out. It was very annoying. Upon departure I mentioned how the voucher system didn't work so well. She replied,there was an IT guy always there and all I had to do was call him. Shame on me. So....I will,let you be the judge of the Internet.

All in all I would not hesitate to stay there again, nice hotel. I'm just not quite sure it belongs in that special class of 5 star hotels. But still nice.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kkenn4153
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the late response. I would like to express my sincere thank you for taking your most prestigous time, writting to us and sharing your stay experience with us. We really value your feedback and business support and we look forward to welcoming you to our hotel in the near future

Kind regards,

Josiah
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

My stay at the Sandton Towers in August 2010-September 2010 was wonderful. My rooms were on the 23rd and 26th floors. The rooms had modern decor very bright and colorful, marble bathrooms with both Shower and Soaking Tubs. A large (56") Flat Screen TV and Bose Sound System provided plenty of entertainment..The closet area is very roomy with drawers for your clothes and plenty of hanging space and room for luggage (6 lrg pcs). The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We used the laundry service and our clothes were cleaned and ready within hours of drop off. The restaurant had fresh tasty breakfast daily and great dinner choices. I found the Salmon with spinach wonderful. I will stay at the Sandton Towers again on my next visit to Johannesburg South Africa.

Room Tip: All rooms provide wonderful views of the city.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Apologies for the delay in responding, however, thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Towers, kind regards, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed here for one night and used their connected business complex the next day. This is an excellant hotel in a good location close to Nelson Mandela square. The staff are attentive and professional. The room I had was clean, well appointed and quite spacious. There is even an ipod dock in the room.The bathroom was pretty large as well. Check in was fast and effiecient. The bar is a nice place though is a touch small but thats down to the relatively small footprint of the hotel. The breakfast in the morning was excellant with a good spread of food and drinks.

The hotel is within walking distance of nelson Mandela square which has a shopping mall and loads of bars and resturants.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your one night's stay, Best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

This is a very nice hotel connected to the Sandton shopping mall and eateries at Nelson Mandela Square. The rooms are spacious, wonderfully done, and very comfortable. There was a large closet in my room and the bathroom was really big. There was also a large working table, which was very comfortable to use. The staff are very warm and welcoming!
The breakfast was very nice. Did not get to try the hotel room service though since there are many good eating options next door at Nelson Mandela Square. All in all, a very nice stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your kind feedback and for taking your precious time wrting to us and sharing your stay experience. I am realy pleased that the hotel team exceeded your expectations and I look forward to meeting you next time when you are staying at our hotel.

Kind regards,

Josiah Montsho
Lancaster, PA, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I stayed at this property for 3 nights. The location was perfect, my room was impeccable. Upon check-in I was upgraded to a Club Room since I am a Six Continents Royal Ambassador. I was informed that I could have breakfast either at the Club or in the coffee shop.

When I was checking out, I was billed for Breakfast. I told the Reception staff that I had been told that breakfast was included in my stay. They were adamant that it was not. I then asked to speak to a Manager. The Manager came and insisted that I had to pay for my Breakfasts. I asked him to check with the lady in the Club Floor who had checked me in. He replied that she was not in that day.

The Manager kept on insisting that I had to pay for the Breakfast. He said that if I didn't pay for the Breakfast the lady who had told me that Breakfast was included in my room would have it deducted from her salary; and he asked me if that is what I wanted to happen!

I said "No". He then said, "Okay let us make a deal. I will split the cost of the Breakfast between you and her salary!".

So that is what happened. I must say that it left a VERY poor taste in my mouth, and tainted the enjoyment of my short visit to South Africa....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo