Flew into Joburg from the States. Just a mere 16 our nonstop flight. Actually wasn't so bad as it was overnight which does make it easier But this review is about the hotel. Arrived in Joburg at the beginning of their winter. Don't let the travel books fool you, when the sun goes down it is COLD!!! And in the early morning. Their winter albeit are mild but just the same have a jacket you can depend on.
On to the hotel, it is a 5 star hotel and the staff is VERY VERY friendly. They will go out of their way to get it, finer it, fetch it. What ever you need. Fortunately, Sandton Mall is right next door and has fabulouse restaurants of if you tire of the hotel fare which is superb. Breakfast is either off the menu or their is this fabulous bat from everything to meats , sushi to the regular breakfast things. I tried purposefully to eat light so I had the nonfat yogurt with fruit and the most wonderful coffee.
We did not do dinner at the hotel. We ventured to the mall and most of the restaurants concentrate on an array of meats like beef, ostrich . My husband found the ostrich wonderfull. I stuck with a white fish that I didn't care for too much. I do have to say that everyplace I ate had the the most tender calamari I have ever had. Flavorful, not tough. It was great.
The rooms are beautiful with spectacular granite bathrooms, the bed are incredibly comfortable. Just make sure you bring enough converters as S.A. Is either 215? Or 220 but we just didn't have enough. You get the morning news delivered to your door each morning. There is a shoe shine fellow in the lobby that really can come in handy,
Security is tight and there is not a problem in Sandton.
Now for my negatives and why I gave it only 4 stars. The Internet voucher you receive seems to constantly go out. It was very annoying. Upon departure I mentioned how the voucher system didn't work so well. She replied,there was an IT guy always there and all I had to do was call him. Shame on me. So....I will,let you be the judge of the Internet.
All in all I would not hesitate to stay there again, nice hotel. I'm just not quite sure it belongs in that special class of 5 star hotels. But still nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in the safe hub of Sandton, Johannesburg with direct access to: shopping malls, Sandton Convention Centre, Food, Wine and excursions. Perfect for business of leisure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Agoda and Expedia so you can book your InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers Hotel Sandton
- Intercontinental Johannesburg Sandton Hotel
- Intercontinental Sandton
- InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers Greater Johannesburg