All reviews camelot spa reubens restaurant conference area bathroom floor bustling city rooms are spacious business conference two night stay go the extra mile lovely room mandela square boutique hotel room service visiting johannesburg wi fi stayed here for nights apartment
Reviewed 6 March 2017

We where part of a large group, 10 rooms, to check in. The welcome note in the room was addressed to another person in the group. While the room was very spacious, the design and decor looked like they where from different eras. The air conditioning unit did not work. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. It was unclear whether the snacks packed into a gift box on the table where complimentary or part of the "mini bar". The TV was situated in the lounge area of the room, making it near impossible to watch from bed. In summary, the room represented more of a studio apartment, including a kitchenette, probably lending itself to medium to long term stays rather than a quick overnight stopover. The highlight for me was that my room faced onto a river and the gushing water sound was extremely relaxing. The buffet breakfast was adequate and served on a terrace in the garden which was also pleasant. In summary the room was comfortable and served its purpose. Had the attention to detail been observed I am sure my stay would have been enhanced, it felt like I was in a low budget facility from a service point of view.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2017

Items were wrongly priced on menu. There was a discrepancy between the menu and what we were charged. Spa staff were atrocious resulting the the cancelling of spa treatment. Lazy, rude and sarcastic. Book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Check the prices on your bill if you order room service.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Capital Moloko in early Feb 2017. And it appeared we were the only ones! We didn't see a single guest other than ourselves. But we are not surprised.

The hotel itself is lovely. Our room (216) was huge with a small kitchen, open bathroom (separate toilet) and the bed was really comfy.

But that the only good thing about this hotel which for me is not good enough. This hotel would be so much better if the staff looked like they cared. The receptionists, waiters, etc all looked like they were there to do as little as possible. This is a 5 star hotel by the way.

The second problem which for us is a massive problem is the fact they openly have a rat infestation. We had dinner at the hotel and again we were the only ones dining. We sat by the little pond and it was a lovely spot until we saw a rat run past us. We then turned around from where it came from and saw more and more just openly running around in clear view. We told our waiter and his response was "that's nature"... this is a 5 star hotel...

We complained at the reception and asked for the manager - we were told they had gone home but would call the next day. We had no call and no response at all. But the general attitude was "so what if we have rats..."

We paid £1900 rand and we expected so so so much more.

The only factor stopping this review being a 1 star is the rooms. Other than that I would say stay away.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Burnedette, General Manager at The Capital Moloko, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Dear "Mr. MattC",

As per my communication with your wife, I would like to apologise once again for the unfortunate incident and reassure you that this is a complete isolated incident.

We have dealt with this situation by getting our pest control out to investigate as well as add an additional 40 traps all over our garden and especially by the river as we determined that they came from the river side due to the heavy rains we have had the last couple of weeks. Our pest control company is also currently coming out weekly to make sure that the problem is completely resolved.

Since we have taken the above action we have not seen a single rat again.

We have truly taken every effort possible to resolve this completely, this I can assure you.

I would also like to apologise about the poor attitude yourself and your husband experienced from the staff.
This is not how they have been trained and also not the level on which we run our establishment. I have taken all necessary action to correct this and avoid any future reoccurances going forward.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and giving us the opportunity to take the necessary corrective action.

I do hope that we will have another opportunity again in future to welcome you back to The Capital Moloko Hotel and provide you with the high level of hospitality and service we strive for.

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

Just eaten here and was lucky enough to be joined by several rats. We have pet rats and as such didn't completely freak out but we did tell both our waiter and reception and they couldn't have cared less. Very disappointed as otherwise it is a really nice hotel but I don't expect a 5 star hotel to have a rat infestation and be unbothered by it. We're now just hoping they've kept them out of the kitchen!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LisaJCarter

Dear "Ms. LisaJCarter",

Since we have taken the above action we have not seen a single rat again.

Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed one night at this wonderful place.
The appartment had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Very stylish decorated.
Lovely breakfast at the hotels patio surrounded by a beautiful landscaped garden.
We also enjoyed the free transfer to Nelson Mandela Square.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Burnedette, General Manager at The Capital Moloko, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Dear "TNorway",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at The Capital Moloko Hotel.

It is wonderful for me to know that we lived up to your expectations and could provide you with a stay to remember, thank you for all the kind words.

I hope that we will have another opportunity in the near future to welcome you back to The Capital Moloko Hotel, it will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again.