“STAY HERE!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #82 of 355 Pretoria B&B and Inns
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“STAY HERE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

You will be well looked after, I have no complaints whatsoever, neither did my friends, all staff so friendly, rooms so comfortable. Say hello to Oscar the African Grey parrot.

Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
fernivy, Owner at FernIvy Guest House, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Thank you for your kind review. It is really appreciated.
Oscar says "Hello" too!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

I spent five days here and really enjoyed the rooms, the ambiance and our hosts. Rooms were impeccably clean and comfortable. I overlooked the pool and garden and got so much work done while there.

Breakfast was great. Location was excellent. I was able to walk up to the Union Buildings, the US Embassy and downtown. There's a small shopping area 5 minutes down the road with everything you need.

If you need to be in Pretoria and you'd like a nice, personal touch, I'd highly recommend Fernivy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are glad that you found your stay so pleasant that you extended your stay.

We are sorry that room 9 is not of the same standard,but we rarely make use of it, except in exceptional circumstances like yours.

Oscar has been with us fore some 15 years - that is some 10 years prior to starting the guest house! Still, the majority of the guests seem to like him. Perhaps his effect is louder in room 9!

We cover him up in the evenings on your next visit.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

Very nice rooms, and excellent hosts, who went out of their way to provide personal service. They picked me up from the airport, brought me to malls, and when I had mentioned I liked certain snacks, they were added to the the breakfast basket that is provided in the weekend.
The breakfast served in the lounge and/or on the outside patio was very nice.

I made reservations at FernIvy for a weekend, but ended up staying a week.
This meant I had to change rooms a few times, as most rooms were already booked.That gave me a chance to see the different rooms.
All the rooms I stayed in had a kitchenette with microwave, and al were beautifully decorated.
All rooms had good wireless reception. There is also a computer for guests in the lounge.

Room 1 = the best, upstairs at end of hallway, roomy, own litlle balcony, privacy, king size bed and lovely bath and separate rain shower.

Room 2: upstairs, with balcony, with nice tree next to it, bed either king size or twin whatever you prefer. Roomy, with rainshower (no bath).

Room 6 near pool in corner, light roomy and with comfy sofa but waterfeatures on 2 sites (pool and entrance). Bathroom door cannot close due to very big (very nice) bath (+ rain shower), which may be an issue if you are staying with 2 in the room (but only queen size bed).

Be aware; room next to stairs (9 ), is quite dark due to little daylight. Interior very nice
But room is next to kitchen, so in the morning en during day noise from staff and parrot (imitates ringing phone among others)
Also noise as people walk past on the stairs to and from their rooms. So little privacy
Only shower, and small cupboard as kitchenette, no sink.
Wireless reception was not very good on the guest network, but I was allowed to log on to the second network to get reception.

I did not stay in the rooms on the lower ground next to the pool. They seemed to be quite small. But it is nice to be able to step out into the pool area.
Although the pool was quite cold and limited in size; it is not big enough to comfortably swim laps.

Location: situated in a leafy suburb,with several embassies. A small but nice shopping mall is 10-15 minute walking distance from the B&B. There are cafe's, a small Woolworth supermarket, an excellent photoshop (Ludwig) and a nice craftshop. Also walking distance are the Union Buildings with a nice park.
There is an excellent beautician a few blocks up the road (walking distance): The Green Place, 145 Percy Street
The facial included a lovely massage.

Negative: limited tv channels; majority seemed to be sport channels.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
fernivy, Owner at FernIvy Guest House, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
We are glad we could help out and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We would love to have you again..
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

I enjoyed staying at the guesthouse very much. It is very nice and quite and thus perfect if you are on holiday or in Pretoria for work (which was my case). The owners are very, very nice and helpful and I appreciated their hospitality very much. They are nice and well educated people and surprised me by offering to take me to the city center themselves. The rooms are just perfect - especially for their price. Very nicely furnished and offer all the luxury one can imagine for the category. I also tested the spa offer and enjoyed the massage a lot! I can only recommend you this place and hope myself to be able to return one day.

• Liked — The room comfort
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
The rating does not do justice to the review. The review is so complimentary one can not help but wonder why the ratings are not perfect.

Thanks for responding. It was nice having you here.
Hadera
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

I stayed at the FernIvy Guest House for two weeks recently, while working in Pretoria. I've stayed at lots of B&B's before, but very, very few as pleasant as this! The beautiful house has been renovated from basement to roof-patio. My room was large, elegantly furnished, impeccably kept, and with all the comforts one could ask for (I usually take my own pillow with me when I travel -- this time, it never left my suitcase). Marguerite, my hostess, met me herself at Jo'burg airport. She and her husband Eitel --- a friendly and cultivated couple --- and their staff, went to great lengths to make me feel comfortable and at home (even Oscar, the parrot -- "a Rottweiler with feathers" -- muttered an occasional "hello"). On Saturday night, Marguerite and Eitel invited me and my colleagues to a "braai" (hope I spelt that right!) --- a South African BBQ where all thoughts of "sensible" eating and drinking fly out the window. Thank you, Marguerite and Eitel, for looking after me so well. Next time I'm in Pretoria I know where I'll be staying ---if I'm lucky!

LionelHadera, Hadera, Israel

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank lionelHadera
It was lovely having you here. We hope you can come again!