See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

We totally loved our stay at Sun cottage! It was a home away from home. It's a beautiful setting and very conveniently located. The loft room was perfect for our needs and the hosts, Jean & Mike, were so friendly and hospitable. They made us feel very comfortable and even let us use their lovely garden when we needed to let our 20 month old son expend some toddler energy. We will definitely stay again at Sun Cottage next time we're back in the Mother City and will be recommending it to all our friends.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Jean V, Owner at Sun Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2015

Thank you so much for your lovely review. M&M&K you were lovely guests and such a beautiful example of a happy little family. I hope you come again and in the meantime that your new adventure is rewarding for all of you. Jean and Mike

Reviewed 30 May 2015 via mobile

Stayed there for a week with the family and used both rooms. The cottage is comfortable, clean and well equipped. The owners live in the same house, though we hardly saw them. The rooms were cleaned daily, the beds were comfortable, the towels and bed linen were of good quality. There are basic cooking facilities which we did not use. This is a self catering cottage and no breakfast is offered. However, there are two good cafes serving excellent breakfast only a short walk away on the corner of Main Str and Kildare Rd. Melissa is a well known chain of deli shops and cafes but our preferred choice was Cassis, which offers a wide choice of pastries, cooked breakfast and muesli. There are also two or three decent restaurants there and the Vineyard Hotel nearby offers excellent lunches and dinners.

Date of stay: May 2015
Jean V, Owner at Sun Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2015

Thank you for the kind words. It was good meeting all of you. Wonderful that you enjoyed the local eateries. Apologies that we didn't see more of you. I hope that your trip home was good and that we will see you again. Jean

Reviewed 16 April 2015

We visited Australia recently for a relative's wedding and needed a spot close to where family live. Staying at Sun Cottage was like being at home - cosy, peaceful and topped by a very beautiful, leafy location. We have two children who just loved all that nature offers in the beautiful, vast garden that stretches down to the water. Ziggy, Jean's dog, was an absolute hit, not to mention the squirrels. The girls had to share the small double which is always a challenge with our our daughter who wriggles a lot...I saw a previous review that mentioned the size of the bed too and my only suggestion would be to include a larger bed in this room, or two singles (that could be pushed together for couples). Other than that - my husband and I enjoyed the atmospheric loft room, and the magic of nature all around. Thanks for a lovely stay.

Room tip: Loft room has wonderful king size. Only a double in river room.
Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2015

I had the pleasure of staying at Sun Cottage for 3 nights and will never stay anywhere else in Cape Town again. So convenient and everything was of the best quality. Jean was so helpful and informative and welcoming. Superb!

Date of stay: February 2015
1  Thank JennivW
Jean V, Owner at Sun Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2015

Thank you Jenni, for taking the time. I loved meeting you and thank you again for the flowers. Im looking forward to next time. Jean

Reviewed 26 November 2014

Sun Cottage was our first three nights accomodation on arriving in South Africa and Jean made us feel at home straight away. My 9 year old son and I stayed in the upstairs double room over looking the small river out the back. A well appointed comfortable room with beautiful bed linen, plenty of towels, lots of space and a small fully equipped kitchen. The location is perfect for exploring Cape Town and Jean was on hand to answer any question I had about where to go and what to see. Newlands is a pretty part of Cape Town, sleepy in it's quiet beauty and a perfect base.

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Jean V, Owner at Sun Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2014

Thank you Jane, for the great review. It was a pleasure meeting you and Jack and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sun Cottage and that the remainder of your visit to SA was good. I hope we see you again some day.