“Elegance in Cape Town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vineyard Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Vineyard Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Elegance in Cape Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel was marvelous and had comfortable rooms with great views. I enjoyed the restaurant and museum piece displays in the lobby and hallways. The bathrooms could have been a bit more luxurious for the price, but all was comfortable and the staff very helpful and courteous. After a long flight from Dubai, it was a welcome new home.

Room Tip: A ground floor room opens up to lovely gardens and ponds. Excellent place for a night cap and a smok...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I, my sister and niece who were on a visit to SA from the US stayed at this hotel for 4 days in February 2012. My niece had a liver transplant a year ago and developed a medical problem in the middle of the night on our last evening there. The night staff were exceptionally helpful: they made contact with a GP at 2am in the morning who spoke to us and advised we go teh nearby casualty. Because we were uncertain of the route one of the night staff fetched a car and we followed him to the casualty rooms. We spent the rest of the night there but on my return and although the hotel was fully booked that night, we were offered a cottage in the garden if we neeeded to extend our stay (at very reasonable rates). We did not in the end take up the offer and decided to fly back to Johannesburg but I wish to commend the staff on their helpfulness and caring attitude.
With regards to our actual experience of the hotel: lovely location, beautiful grounds and fantastic breakfasts. We did have a negative expience when eating dinner on the one evening where we seemed to be forgotten and waited an hour for our second course. We were offered a 'free' meal but when it came to ordering coffee and dessert we were informed that this was not included. We did not mind having to pay for that part ofthe meal but it was done in a very clumsy manner ie the waiter said he advised us not to have dessert and coffee. One further criticism: the standard rooms are quite nice but the carpets are stained and need replacing and the TV was exceptionally old. on the plus side the spa experience was quite exceptional and I had one of the best massages I have ever had.
I feel that overall there is much that this hotel is getting right and would certainly stay there again. I feel almost as if I should not write of the few negatives we experienced given their kindness over the very stressful episode but in the interests of objectivity and on the basis that most people do not have medical emergencies when staying I felt I needed to include these comments. But nevertheless do wish to thank all those involved during that difficult night we had.

Room Tip: If you are wanting something more room wise I suggest going for the deluxe and not the standard suit...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Recently we stayed at the Vineyard Hotel. We found the staff very friendly and the rooms beautifully decorated. The services from the gym to the pool were fantastic. I hate large hotels but this really felt like a samll boutique hotel. .Watch out for their fantastic specials it's a must stay if you visit the Cape!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at the Vineyard for four nights, arriving after a 12hr flight from the UK I was pleased to hear I had been upgraded to a ground level suite with a stunning view of the garden and mountains.

The room was very well appointed, complete with two TV's, one in the seated area at the bottom of the room and the usual one opposite the large bed.

Breakfast was good, nothin too fussy with excellent service, I did not eat diner at the hotel but was taken out on each evening.

The only slight downside was a very large conference group who were present during my stay, they seemed to 'swarm' into the bar each evening 'en masse' causing some kind of mayhem simply due to the volume of people present.

The pool and spa were both fantastic, I plan to visit the hotel again in October then again next Feb when it will be lovely and warm!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Had visited the Vineyard Hotel and Spa over New Year 11'/12' with my family. We had 2 double rooms with mountain views, which when the weather was good were great. On first glance, the hotel looks very professional and gorgeous. We were welcomed in fornt of the hotel where a valet handled our car and the bellboy took care of our bags. But then it started...with a wit of around 30 minutes to be checked in. While we were waiting, I asked the concierge to book a car from the hotel to Cape town V&A (ca. 30 mins) who told me that this was not possible on NYE as the roads will be closed. Only after discussions with other members of staff and changing our plans 50 times, didi we decide toc all a cab which drove us into town, with a slight delay on the roads of maybe 5 minutes. One would think the concierge would knwo what happens on the roads outside the hotel.

We went into our rooms to find them very run down and old. There was a smell of moistness and smoke int he room, which we were todl was normal and we should turn on the A/C and it would go away. I ahve stayed in better rooms for far less moeny at a holiday inn!

Other than that the main restaurant has a ca. 30-45 min wait in the morning sofr breakfast as it only seats about 30 people (someone wasnt thinking obviously) althought the food was very good, with a large buffet slection. This cannot be said about the room ervice food....we ordered Spaghetti Bolognese, which is harder tog et wrong then correct but they managed to present easily one fo the worst eating experiences on that holiday.

The staff was generally helpfull and kind, although not always spot on. The setting of the hotel is very nice and deserves no complaints. the gardens are beautifull and kept very clean, although the pool area tends tog et very crowded on a sunny day but that is to be expected over NYE. the location of the hotel is also good if youre keen on exploring cape town and the wine areas of stellenbosch etc. as they can both be reached in 30-45 mins drive.

Overall, I dont think i would recommend nor stay in this hotel again if I go back to Cape town. I would rather stay in the variety of small boutique luxury hotels along camps bay, landudno beach etc. I expected more form a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 106 in Cape Town Central
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,919 reviews
The Table Bay Hotel
#17 of 106 in Cape Town Central
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,036 reviews

Been to Vineyard Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK