Nomad Africa Adventure Private Day Tours
Review Highlights
First time in Africa, two weeks of unforgettable experience

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Fabio C
Cernusco sul Naviglio, Lombardia, Italy
Johannesburg to PE

Reviewed 23 April 2017
backpackthew0rld
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We are a family of 5 (3 children of 16 and 14) that enjoyed a lot to visit Kruger, Swaziland and Mozambique with Nomad. Our guide was really good and also her colleague (cooking) was able to provide us with a good service. The location selected were of good level; we usually used accomodated solutions but the two nights we spent in the tent in Swaziland while outside of the camping the lyons were roaring at night. We saw a lot of animals in Kruger and in Swaziland while in Mozambique we were able to see whales, dugongos and snorkel by the coral reef outside of Bazaruto. Bazaruto excursion was really amazing.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

This tour exceeded my expectations. The days were very long, lots of driving but the activities were so well organised.

The first day we arrived at Kruger in the afternoon for an evening game drive which was great. Very cold that time of year in October so pack warm. Our guide had blankets for us which was great.

That night we have a buffet around the bonfire with traditional dancers. The food was absolutely sensational and so much choice.

The next day the game drive went from 6am to 4pm and we saw heaps of animals, got some amazing pictures. Later that night sitting and having drinks at the accommodation we saw the hippos, zebra, Impala was so good. Had a fun dinner around the camp fire with our tour group.

The next day was loads of driving and site seeing.

Our final morning was a walk through Kruger with two guides that was incredible we even saw elephants, giraffes and zebra. The guides shared so much knowledge.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

I joined the two week Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth tour in March 2017. Overall the tour was fantastic and was a great mixture of game parks, beaches and mountains. I booked the camping option, but only ended up camping for 4 nights as I paid to upgrade to a room in a number of places. Whilst this can only be done if there is availability, this worked up much cheaper than booking the accommodated option and paying a single supplement.

Accommodation exceeded expectations and was always in great locations. The tents provided are easy to put up and roomy. The mats provided also make it comfortable. The good thing about this tour is that in most places you stay 2 nights with only a couple of one night stops, which means you are not constantly taking down and putting up the tent. This also means that although there are some long days in the truck, this was normally followed by a day of activity and not in the truck.

The trucks are amazing in their design and the way all the equipment fits in. Each seat has USB chargers and overnight there is an extension lead in the truck you can use to charge things with a normal plug.

Days are long; expect to get up around 6am most days and if its a travel day you often don't arrive until 5ish. There are regular stops for the toilet and to buy snacks. The views along the way though are spectacular.

The food provided exceeded expectations and was plentiful. Out guide Lauraine, cooked up a storm. It was mainly stews or pasta of different varieties for dinner and sandwiches and salads for lunch. I never went hungry.

Both our guides Zee and Lauraine were wonderful and knowledgeable. Our truck broke down on one occasion but they dealt with it professionally and got us back on our way within a few hours.

Overall the trip exceeded my expectations and I would not hesitate to travel with Nomad Africa again.

1  Thank backpackthew0rld
Reviewed 19 April 2017

I must say upfront that I'm not a fan of group tours, and I don't enjoy camping, but I loved my seven-day overland tour from Cape Town to Swakopmund.

The two-person crew consisted of Louis and Dee, both of whom were knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and professional. Dee is a naturalist and Louis an ex-chef, so all bases were covered. The two of them really made the trip special.

As far as the itinerary, I felt that I saw many of the highlights of Namibia without being rushed.

Although I don't enjoy camping, I quickly adjusted to the routine and found the tent to be fairly comfortable. The campsites themselves all had modern amenities.

I decided to take the overland trip because driving through the Namibian desert with the constant threat of breaking down isn't something I wanted to face.

I would highly recommend any of the agency's tours. I plan to take another tour in the future.

Thanks for a great time.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

We travelled with Nomad overland from Johannesburg to the Okavango via Namibia and then to Chobe and the great Zimbabwe ruins back to Jo'burg.

Absolutely fabulous trip, the route was perfect and the truck and camping were good. So all in all Nomad delivered a great experience- thank you NOMAD.

HOWEVER I have to report the guide MXOLISI!, - he displayed no empathy and no social skills, was highly unprofessional and occasionally deliberately unhelpful. Utterly dreadful. At one point a member of the group was injured by a flying ice box lid on a boat,and his reaction seemed to show that he didn't think it important.

Extraordinary.

Fortunately many of us got on well and laughed about his behaviour and made the best of it.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

Having never been to Africa before, I went into the Nomad tour from Jo'berg to Vic Falls without clear expectations, we had been warned there would be long journeys on the truck, and to accept that it wouldn't always be plain sailing. In many ways the trip exceeded my hopes, the trip to the Okavango Delta, was absolutely breath taking. We had a flight in a small plane , so low over the delta you could pick out the animals and the camp we stayed in was fantastic. The travel in the truck was not to bad, our driver was great, and we were in a small group and there was plenty of space to spread out.
Our guide was excellent, she gelled us as a group, and was always positive, professional and delightful company, even when we were tired and moaning. The food was straight forward, she made a good job of the cooking at dinner , but lunch was often a bit of a rushed and compromised affair, just because of the pace of the tour.
Accommodation was generally better than I expected, we had one poor night, which was down to flooding stopping access to the usual lodge.
Nomad has lots of experience, good equipment and some excellent staff,
I had 2 gripes, the first being the transit from Vic Falls back to Jo'berg, We had payed for a small group tour, and the transit was a busy truck with a mixture of staff and people in the middle of or ending their tours, It was certainly not seen as part of the holiday, We felt let down by this.
The 2nd thing I would mention is the Belverdere Estate, Nomads hotel in Jo'berg, It is a nice property, the rooms are spacious and comfortable and the gardens were really lovely. It is however very close to a land fill and the stench of methane drifts over when the wind is in the wrong direction, as it was when we returned from Vic Falls, not much they can do about it, but I would advise getting a transport to a hotel in town if you are not joining a tour the next morning. The evening meals provided are also average to poor although the breakfast is good, We found there was excellent hotels near the airport for the same money.
On the road, Nomad are great, but the care around the tour could be improved.

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I did the 9 days, 8 nights from Jburg to Vic Falls. We had one of the greatest tine of our lifes. The crew were amazing and the equipment is very good. We have been to amazing places and will talk about this for years!
The only downturn is that whike crossing the botwanian border we lost a lot of food because of customs officers check. It was a not nice to see that waste! Maybe the company could talk to the authorities ou train the team better.

Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

My friend and I had a really fun and enjoyable trip from jo'burg through to Nairobi. It was the trip of a lifetime. Had a few oldies on the trip that complained a lot, but when in Africa if you're on a budget money doesn't go far so toilet stops on the side of the road are needed. Our truck had an accident and was written off- lucky no one on board was hurt but nomad and our tour guides were so calm and got us transport to the next location and a replacement truck a day or two later. Definitely pay extra to go into every national park- u just don't know what you're going to see. Food is average and never really 'fresh' so bring as many treats from home as you can.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

Having traveled with Nomad for 6 weeks throughout the entire Southern Circle made a dream come true. A camping tour with the Nomad family was the best way to get in touch with nature, explore the most beautiful landscapes, wild life and get to know amazing fellow travelers from all parts of the world.

The guides are well trained, hard working and passionate to make the trip a great experience for everyone.

Highly recommend it to anybody willing to travel across multiple African countries and enjoy the beauty of Southern Africa at its best and most authentic way possible.

Reviewed 7 February 2016

Friends and I did a 5000 km, 28 day tour from Kenya to Victoria falls. The sights did not disappoint even though I had the highest expectations. Words or pictures for that matter cannot describe the feeling on the Serengeti or several other reserves we visited. We had interesting lodgings along the way, and the guides and driver cooked us most of our meals. They took exceptional care of the group and resolved any issues with upgrades.They kept us informed re cash needed or where to buy water (and wine of course) along the way. I would highly recommend it for anyone with a love for animals or a bit of adventure. I think cit would be too much for children to be stuck on a tour truck for several hours at a time.

2  Thank sigdisher