“A really memorable travel experience”

Nomad Africa Adventure Private Day Tours
Ranked #71 of 152 Tours in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Having never been to Africa before, I went into the Nomad tour from Jo'berg to Vic Falls without clear expectations, we had been warned there would be long journeys on the truck, and to accept that it wouldn't always be plain sailing. In many ways the trip exceeded my hopes, the trip to the Okavango Delta, was absolutely breath taking. We had a flight in a small plane , so low over the delta you could pick out the animals and the camp we stayed in was fantastic. The travel in the truck was not to bad, our driver was great, and we were in a small group and there was plenty of space to spread out.
Our guide was excellent, she gelled us as a group, and was always positive, professional and delightful company, even when we were tired and moaning. The food was straight forward, she made a good job of the cooking at dinner , but lunch was often a bit of a rushed and compromised affair, just because of the pace of the tour.
Accommodation was generally better than I expected, we had one poor night, which was down to flooding stopping access to the usual lodge.
Nomad has lots of experience, good equipment and some excellent staff,
I had 2 gripes, the first being the transit from Vic Falls back to Jo'berg, We had payed for a small group tour, and the transit was a busy truck with a mixture of staff and people in the middle of or ending their tours, It was certainly not seen as part of the holiday, We felt let down by this.
The 2nd thing I would mention is the Belverdere Estate, Nomads hotel in Jo'berg, It is a nice property, the rooms are spacious and comfortable and the gardens were really lovely. It is however very close to a land fill and the stench of methane drifts over when the wind is in the wrong direction, as it was when we returned from Vic Falls, not much they can do about it, but I would advise getting a transport to a hotel in town if you are not joining a tour the next morning. The evening meals provided are also average to poor although the breakfast is good, We found there was excellent hotels near the airport for the same money.
On the road, Nomad are great, but the care around the tour could be improved.

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I did the 9 days, 8 nights from Jburg to Vic Falls. We had one of the greatest tine of our lifes. The crew were amazing and the equipment is very good. We have been to amazing places and will talk about this for years!
The only downturn is that whike crossing the botwanian border we lost a lot of food because of customs officers check. It was a not nice to see that waste! Maybe the company could talk to the authorities ou train the team better.

Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

My friend and I had a really fun and enjoyable trip from jo'burg through to Nairobi. It was the trip of a lifetime. Had a few oldies on the trip that complained a lot, but when in Africa if you're on a budget money doesn't go far so toilet stops on the side of the road are needed. Our truck had an accident and was written off- lucky no one on board was hurt but nomad and our tour guides were so calm and got us transport to the next location and a replacement truck a day or two later. Definitely pay extra to go into every national park- u just don't know what you're going to see. Food is average and never really 'fresh' so bring as many treats from home as you can.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

Having traveled with Nomad for 6 weeks throughout the entire Southern Circle made a dream come true. A camping tour with the Nomad family was the best way to get in touch with nature, explore the most beautiful landscapes, wild life and get to know amazing fellow travelers from all parts of the world.

The guides are well trained, hard working and passionate to make the trip a great experience for everyone.

Highly recommend it to anybody willing to travel across multiple African countries and enjoy the beauty of Southern Africa at its best and most authentic way possible.

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 February 2016

Friends and I did a 5000 km, 28 day tour from Kenya to Victoria falls. The sights did not disappoint even though I had the highest expectations. Words or pictures for that matter cannot describe the feeling on the Serengeti or several other reserves we visited. We had interesting lodgings along the way, and the guides and driver cooked us most of our meals. They took exceptional care of the group and resolved any issues with upgrades.They kept us informed re cash needed or where to buy water (and wine of course) along the way. I would highly recommend it for anyone with a love for animals or a bit of adventure. I think cit would be too much for children to be stuck on a tour truck for several hours at a time.

2  Thank sigdisher