All reviews conference venue conference facilities reception area the grill east rand mall hourly shuttle or tambo international airport enjoyed my stay close to the airport every hour rooms are spacious excellent service shopping mall shuttle service keep up the good work friends and family home away from home
Reviewed 18 February 2018

excellent environment to stay in and beautiful gardening.Reception staff displayed 120 % professionalism and exhumed positive energy all right through. I intend to visit the venue with my family soon and hope they will experience my experience with my previous visit.

Date of stay: February 2018
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Dear kempemdluli,

Thank you for your feedback - it is fantastic to hear both that you approve of the level of service received as well as enjoyed the environment on offer. We do look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

great experience and the rooms always very clean.Staff very friendly and very professional in there approach and always make my stay very pleasant.The room service is very efficient and very fast.All my requests were met promptly

Date of stay: February 2018
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear briancohen2018,

Thank you for your valued feedback. We were most happy to provide you with the level of service and efficiency that you enjoyed. We have noted the score of 4/5, hence if there was any aspect of your time spent with us that you feel could have been improved, we ask that you inform us by emailing me on gregh@birchwoodhotel.co.za. We hope to hear from you as we appreciate any and all feedback.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

I recently attended a conference held at Birchwood and had a very comfortable stay. Staff are friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. Well organised conference venue for large groups. Bar and swimming pool available for when you need to relax.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Dear Adele,

The rating and comments made are appreciated - we are happy that you managed to take advantage of so many features available at Birchwood. We hope that we will be seeing you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

It was a business trip and so I needed some peace and quiet but this hotel is very close to OR Tambo International Airport such that every few seconds a jet airliner plane would be flying low over the hotel ready to land some 500 meters further ahead. However if on holiday one will certainly enjoy the experience of seeing different kinds of airlines flying so low overhead.

Room tip: This is a huge complex with more than 1000 rooms and so one should be spoilt for choice.
Date of stay: December 2017
1  Thank Elizabeth L
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Dear Elizabeth L,

Thank you for your review, although, we are sorry to hear that you disliked the planes flying overhead which is a side-effect of our proximity to OR Tambo. That being said, this is only on days when the relevant flight-path is utilised. We have strongly pursued implementing more leisure options for guests in the form of our Mangwanani Boutique Spa, pool and various new restaurants which we hope that we can welcome you back to experience first hand.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

I was invited to attend a government organized conference and stayed at the hotel for 2nights.

While the Airport pickup was as per the schedule, we got totally drenched as it was raining heavily when we arrived at the reception. The driver left my suitcase on the open and it got totally drenched.

The check in wasn’t friendly. The clerk splatting a goatee wasn’t too professional in dealing with guests. As I was paying the full tariff and was not funded by the organizers, I was hoping to receive some assistance about where to eat, etc, but none were provided. I had to wait for several minutes before a car was found to take me to my room. It was an average room, yet I was told that I was being upgraded for free?

The hotel is next to Jo’burg Airport, so if you are looking for a quiet place, this hotel isn’t for you. I had flown 17 hours to get to Jo’burg and had a major jet lag, yet the flights that were landing kept me awake.

My worst experience was during the check out. As my flight to Cape Town was was at 6 pm, I requested for a late check out- I was not only refused but I was warned that “the management would be forced to remove my belongings, if I didn’t vacate my room by 11 am”.

I will never retueprn nor suggest anyone to stay at this hotel.

Room tip: Don’t stay at this hotel!
Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Beneup
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Dear Beneup,

Thank you for your review, although we do express our sincerest apologies regarding your experience in terms of the staff, accommodation room and handling of your booking. Being affected by jet lag, naturally would also add to the frustrations hence we do understand how the issues would be further infuriating.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our location, as we do pride ourselves on being close to OR Tambo, but not at OR Tambo. In terms of the late check-out, naturally we assist as often as possible, however, if an accommodation is required by a pre-booking, we are unable to allow for this as the next guest is required to have access.

I am sure that based on your time spent with us, you would not want to return, but we hope that we can welcome you back despite this. Thank you for your feedback.