All reviews conference venue conference facilities reception area the grill east rand mall hourly shuttle or tambo international airport enjoyed my stay close to the airport every hour rooms are spacious excellent service shopping mall shuttle service keep up the good work friends and family home away from home
Reviewed 9 January 2018

I was invited to attend a government organized conference and stayed at the hotel for 2nights.

While the Airport pickup was as per the schedule, we got totally drenched as it was raining heavily when we arrived at the reception. The driver left my suitcase on the open and it got totally drenched.

The check in wasn’t friendly. The clerk splatting a goatee wasn’t too professional in dealing with guests. As I was paying the full tariff and was not funded by the organizers, I was hoping to receive some assistance about where to eat, etc, but none were provided. I had to wait for several minutes before a car was found to take me to my room. It was an average room, yet I was told that I was being upgraded for free?

The hotel is next to Jo’burg Airport, so if you are looking for a quiet place, this hotel isn’t for you. I had flown 17 hours to get to Jo’burg and had a major jet lag, yet the flights that were landing kept me awake.

My worst experience was during the check out. As my flight to Cape Town was was at 6 pm, I requested for a late check out- I was not only refused but I was warned that “the management would be forced to remove my belongings, if I didn’t vacate my room by 11 am”.

I will never retueprn nor suggest anyone to stay at this hotel.

Room tip: Don’t stay at this hotel!
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Beneup
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Dear Beneup,

Thank you for your review, although we do express our sincerest apologies regarding your experience in terms of the staff, accommodation room and handling of your booking. Being affected by jet lag, naturally would also add to the frustrations hence we do understand how the issues would be further infuriating.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our location, as we do pride ourselves on being close to OR Tambo, but not at OR Tambo. In terms of the late check-out, naturally we assist as often as possible, however, if an accommodation is required by a pre-booking, we are unable to allow for this as the next guest is required to have access.

I am sure that based on your time spent with us, you would not want to return, but we hope that we can welcome you back despite this. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

Had a wonderful stay, the premises and rooms are neat and we'll maintained. The network is not good though on the ground floor rooms. There could use an alternate efficient way of connecting to their wifi network

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Dear sithembilev,

We are happy that you had a wonderful stay with us however, do apologize for any inconveniences experienced with regard to the WiFi and network coverage. These are both areas that we are in the process of investigating to look at measures to make them more accessible, strong and efficient for all guests through the property. We hope that we can welcome you back to experience this.

Reviewed 18 December 2017

I was booked at Birchwood by the organisers of a government-level conference. The hotel site is vast, supposed to be served by golf carts, but drivers were conspicuous by their absence. The geography of the site is completely confusing and there is inadequate signage, so that staying at this venue involves a lot of trailing around looking for places. . The conference venues were disorganised, with no signage for mainstream sessions or breakaway rooms, absent or dysfunctional connections for presentations, torturous and confusing treks through building sites to get to catering venues.for meals..
The rooms were dingy and dysfunctional. The safe was locked and could not be opened, so I had to lug my laptop wherever I went, including walking to the only reasonably good dinner venue about 15 minutes away The wireless connection was abysmal, an absolute no-no for a conference venue, When I arrived, at night and in the middle of a thunderstorm, the carpet in my room had large wet patches from the door to the back of the room - of dubious origin; The fridge stood half in, half out of its cupboard, on three legs, and contained nothing, not even a bottle of drinkable water, The electrical plugs over the desk/dressing table were ancient and some plugs broken, so i found that that there was no hairdryer only after I had washed my hair.
I got no sleep at all for the nights I was there because of weird clanking noises that came from somewhere in the room and sometimes from the ceiling. It took me days to recover after my return home to Cape Town.
An experience not to be repeated.

Date of stay: November 2017

Dear 16eveg,

Thank you for the elaborate description of your time spent with us however, it is very clear that what you experienced was nothing short of unacceptable and it is very understandable, that you would not want to repeat this or return.

The items mentioned, such as the fridge, safe, WiFi, lack of hairdryer, wet patches and more, will be looked in to and we can assure you that items such as the internet frustrations, are being actively pursued for improvement as are the signage inconveniences. We apologize for this time spent with us, but do hope that we can welcome you back to experience our true standard, as what you experienced was not far beneath anything we aim to provide.

Reviewed 18 December 2017

Great property with very helpful and friendly staff but the internet access restrictions spoils everything for business meetings. Birchwood was good with unrestricted internet use like most hotels. The current 500MB restriction is a great inconvenience especially for business. The place is very tidy and with well manicured gardens and staff who are all very friendly and always willing to help. The location's good proximity to the airport without the noise of the flights is a plus. The airport shuttle and to shopping malls is a rare convenience.

Dear baitsip,

We are incredibly pleased that your stay was enjoyed, and the comments made regarding the data on internet access, at 500MB. We'd like to inform that we continue to pursue solutions to increase this allocation per person. We hope that we will see you in the future to experience this first-hand.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

The yard is large and it has all the things that you need for a holiday like gym,spa, swimming pool, etc.
I will definitely return with my family. The food was nice and room service was good.
I loved it.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Dear nombuleloz,

Thank you for your feedback!

It is great to hear that you will be returning to us and that you enjoyed your time spent! We look forward to seeing you again!