All reviews lemongrass restaurant restaurant attached car wash on site restaurant garden route every morning superb location indian ocean the ground floor first floor secure parking guest house fantastic views beautiful room beautiful beach local attractions rooms are spacious
Reviewed 28 December 2011

It has already been said that one of the things that makes Milkwood special is the perfect position on the waters edge and for exploring the Garden route. The other thing that makes it special is Kees' knowledge and passion for the area....he says if you can stay three weeks he can suggest something different for every day! Having breakfast over looklng the ocean is a delight and you wont be disappointed with quality of your stay.

Room Tip: Room 10 is above the kitchen and can get a bit noisy at night
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2011

if you are looking for a special place - milkwood manor is the one!! right on the waters edge, but only because a big flood in 2007 washed the trees and beach and the pool !! away. so now you can look out onto the keurbooms river and the stunning, remote beach opposite. take a kajak and paddel across and you might be the only person on the beach there. the restaurant is busy and try the ostrich - delicious ! breakfast is served in the restaurant, but as there are only 11 rooms it is very quite. it will only be you and the beautiful view!

Room Tip: ask for seaview if money is not the issue! rooms to the back very quite. you have the view from the roofterrasse anyway..
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Looking for a place to have lunch, we turned down a small street and stumbled upon the Lemon Grass Restaurant.... Since we didn't have a place to stay that night, we also ended up staying at the Milkwood Manor.... What a great find!

We stayed only one night, but could have stayed more. The staff was friendly and they gave us a bit of a break on the room because the TV was broken.... The owner, and older fellow, was very friendly and wanted to make sure every guest had a good stay.... We eventually had dinner at Lemon Grass and it was excellent. Surprisingly, we heard very little noise from the restaurant in our room, so it was not an issue.... Our room faced the Bay....the views were great. Even the view from the bathroom was memorable! Taking a late night shower, with the lights switched off and the windows wide open, watching the full moon glimmering over the sea....priceless!!!!

Next morning, i saw a guy washing our car... At first, i thought it was a local just trying to make a few bucks, but was surprised to find out he was actually an employee... Not sure if he's assigned to wash the guests' cars, or he does it on his own accord, but nevertheless, it was appreciated....and he got a few Rand from us.

We were traveling with our 2 young boys. Their fold out couch was good enough for them to sleep on. But in hindsight, even though i'm raving about this place, i'm not sure it's the best place for young kids, especially if they're "active" children, like ours..... But, if your kids are mature, or you're traveling as a couple or alone, i would definitely recommend this place....

The breakfast was good too. The weather was nice, so we sat outside and watched the ocean and sea birds.... The food was well above average, not spectacular, but still very good....

A few minor complaints... Our room (and i suspect all the rooms) had 2 twin beds side by side, instead of a double or queen/king bed. I'm not a fan of double twins, never have and never will. We were told they do it for flexibility, which makes sense.... Also, the owner solicited the guests (us included) to give Milkwood Manor a good TA review. A bit tacky, IMO. He really doesn't have to do this----he would have gotten a great review from me anyway!

Overall, we really like this place. It greatly exceeded our expectations, thus the 5 "star" review...

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Bay.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2011

What an amazing little place! We discovered it purely by accident! Got to Kayak across the lagoon to a secluded beach. Thanks to Kees, the owner, we had a great experience! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Having returned from our trip to South Africa, I have finally got round to writing this review. Milk wood Manor is one the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. The setting is simply beautiful with water almost all around you, Plettenberg itself is a lovely town and as we didn't have great weather, we will definitely be back to enjoy this stunning part of the garden route again. What made this hotel for us was the fantastic service we received from the owners. I really was sad to leave. A massive thank you to Kees who told me about a book I would love about elephants as I had just visited the elephant sanctuary nearby. The next morning at breakfast he had gone out and bought it for me and I was totally engrossed in the book for the rest of my trip! Another huge thank you to Margaret who sorted out a slight glitch with my room booking and made sure that I got the room that I wanted. They really went the extra mile and that is hard to find these days. We went for a drink at the nearby hotel The Plettenberg and whilst it was very nice Milkwood Manor knocked spots off it in terms of setting, service and price. If you go to Plettenberg Bay then this is the place to stay!

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple