All reviews lemongrass restaurant restaurant attached car wash on site restaurant garden route every morning superb location indian ocean the ground floor first floor secure parking guest house fantastic views beautiful room beautiful beach local attractions rooms are spacious
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Looking for a place to have lunch, we turned down a small street and stumbled upon the Lemon Grass Restaurant.... Since we didn't have a place to stay that night, we also ended up staying at the Milkwood Manor.... What a great find!

We stayed only one night, but could have stayed more. The staff was friendly and they gave us a bit of a break on the room because the TV was broken.... The owner, and older fellow, was very friendly and wanted to make sure every guest had a good stay.... We eventually had dinner at Lemon Grass and it was excellent. Surprisingly, we heard very little noise from the restaurant in our room, so it was not an issue.... Our room faced the Bay....the views were great. Even the view from the bathroom was memorable! Taking a late night shower, with the lights switched off and the windows wide open, watching the full moon glimmering over the sea....priceless!!!!

Next morning, i saw a guy washing our car... At first, i thought it was a local just trying to make a few bucks, but was surprised to find out he was actually an employee... Not sure if he's assigned to wash the guests' cars, or he does it on his own accord, but nevertheless, it was appreciated....and he got a few Rand from us.

We were traveling with our 2 young boys. Their fold out couch was good enough for them to sleep on. But in hindsight, even though i'm raving about this place, i'm not sure it's the best place for young kids, especially if they're "active" children, like ours..... But, if your kids are mature, or you're traveling as a couple or alone, i would definitely recommend this place....

The breakfast was good too. The weather was nice, so we sat outside and watched the ocean and sea birds.... The food was well above average, not spectacular, but still very good....

A few minor complaints... Our room (and i suspect all the rooms) had 2 twin beds side by side, instead of a double or queen/king bed. I'm not a fan of double twins, never have and never will. We were told they do it for flexibility, which makes sense.... Also, the owner solicited the guests (us included) to give Milkwood Manor a good TA review. A bit tacky, IMO. He really doesn't have to do this----he would have gotten a great review from me anyway!

Overall, we really like this place. It greatly exceeded our expectations, thus the 5 "star" review...

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Bay.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2011

What an amazing little place! We discovered it purely by accident! Got to Kayak across the lagoon to a secluded beach. Thanks to Kees, the owner, we had a great experience! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Having returned from our trip to South Africa, I have finally got round to writing this review. Milk wood Manor is one the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. The setting is simply beautiful with water almost all around you, Plettenberg itself is a lovely town and as we didn't have great weather, we will definitely be back to enjoy this stunning part of the garden route again. What made this hotel for us was the fantastic service we received from the owners. I really was sad to leave. A massive thank you to Kees who told me about a book I would love about elephants as I had just visited the elephant sanctuary nearby. The next morning at breakfast he had gone out and bought it for me and I was totally engrossed in the book for the rest of my trip! Another huge thank you to Margaret who sorted out a slight glitch with my room booking and made sure that I got the room that I wanted. They really went the extra mile and that is hard to find these days. We went for a drink at the nearby hotel The Plettenberg and whilst it was very nice Milkwood Manor knocked spots off it in terms of setting, service and price. If you go to Plettenberg Bay then this is the place to stay!

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We cannot recommend this lovely guest house highly enough. Perfect position for many of the Garden Route sights. Owners very helpful and know the area well - staff very friendly and the attached Lemon Grass restaurant excellent. Real high light of our stay though was finding a perfect pansy shell on the sand spit opposite. I am sure we will return,

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We discovered Milkwood Manor on our trip down the Garden Route and my wife and I wished that we had the time to stop and spend a few more days. It is positioned right on the water's edge where the Keurbooms River meets the sea. Set apart from the rest of the town, it is only minutes from the village. The views are spectacular, the rooms are extremely comfortable and the attached "Lemon Grass" restuarant served us a magnificent fresh seafood meal. The friendly staff and warm atmosphere made us feel totally at home. All of this at a very reasonable price. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple