I was trying to make a reservation, about a week in advance, for the Valentine's day weekend. Everything went fine, until I provided a credit card number in an email. After not receiving a response for two days, I mailed the innkeeper - Al - back, to which a reply was not forthcoming. The next day, I left a message with the inn, as well as an associated business, and got a call back later in the day, from Al, informing me that there had been a misunderstanding, and the room was not available. Al assured me that an email had been dispatched regarding this matter, though I am extremely doubtful. To be frank, I suspect my pending reservation was bumped.
I was looking forward to the stay, but am afraid I'll never get to experience the Cottage Inn in person. For the highest good, I suppose.