“What an Awesome experience!”

Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 7 Cottonwood B&B and Inns
Phoenix AZ
“What an Awesome experience!”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

This was a wonderful place that exceeded anything I could have imagined! We are from Chandler AZ and we wanted to go to the Verde Canyon Railroad train ride, so I did tons of research and phone calls and searching the web...I have NEVER stayed at a B & B before, but my boyfriends Mom was visiting us for Thanksgiving from Alabama and we really wanted things to be memorable and wonderful for her....and guess what?? They were and even better than we hoped for. My 12 year old son was also with us so I had booked 2 rooms at Desert Rose B&B, with Sebastian via phone call..yes I definitely know we could have saved some money and stayed at a hotel but that's what we have always done, so we decided to go for a change. We were greeted by Nathan (who was awesome!) and shown around, he answered every question we had and truly made us feel just as welcome and comfortable A's if it was our own home. We were fortunate enough to be the only guests staying there that night so it was "our home" for the night, we watched TV, my son played on the computer, we just totally enjoyed this beautiful, home we were given the pleasure to stay in for the night, Nathan recommended an awesome place for us to eat, Nic's. Top notch place, fantastic food, and great service. The portions were huge, and for sure my eyes were way bigger than my stomach could hold :) we left there and found the church that Mom would be going to the next morning, then back to our comfortable "home". Had the most peaceful, relaxing and comfortable evening, and great nights rest. There truly is nothing at all that I could complain about, all of us were happy and just felt so much at home. We met Betty the next morning and she made us breakfast which she DID NOT have to do for us, seeing that it is a Continental Breakfast, however she did and not only that but she did it around our schedule...what worked out best for us!! And had great conversation with her as well, I felt as though we were all "friends" just enjoying the morning! By the way Nathan thank you for giving my son one of your PSP games, he really was happy and appreciative for that, and for charging his game too! You have no idea what it could have been like traveling the 2 hrs home with a 12 year old bored boy! Eeeek! This entire trip was once in a lifetime memory and extreme pleasure for all 4 of us, and we took tons of pictures to remember it all. I can't say Thank You enough to Betty, Sebastian, and Nathan for making it a wonderful trip! I am more than excited to say that we will no doubt be coming back, my boyfriend and I will be celebrating our 3 year anniversary and this is the exact place we want to come back to!! Betty knows the room I want :) The only bad thing I can say is that 1 night is definitely NOT ENOUGH time to truly appreciate the people and the Desert Rose. So next time we go we will be staying for more than one and hoping very much to stay at least 3 nights and enjoying all the area has to offer, I know we didn't even come close to experiencing the awesome area, and cool things to do. I made sure to tell several people on the Verde Canyon Railroad staff, and fellow passengers in our car about Desert Rose and even told Amber our bartender and guide on the Yuma Car about it, highly recommended it and will to anyone I come across in the future! All I can say is many Thanks to everyone at Desert Rose! See you soon for sure!! Nikie,Jeff,Cruz & Mom.....awesome memories for sure!!! :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank cruzinnikie
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
We are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectation as that is our main goal when we have guests step though our gates and into our B&B.

You are very correct in saying that one night is definitely NOT enough! Guests who stay with us for 5 nights even say that they should have stayed longer; we agree!!!

It was a pleasure having you stay with us, we sure hope you come back soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Our first experience with a B&B was a great one, thanks to the staff at Desert Rose.

As we planned our trip (our destination was Verde Canyon Railroad), the staff kept in constant communications with us - sending us pictures of the very room we were going to be staying in, working out details of the railroad trip and answering all of our questions.

They were very helpful in providing a very nice air-bed for my 5 year old son - it was ready when we got there.

When the GPS said we were a quarter mile away and we were still in a sort of run down neighborhood, we thought maybe we had made a mistake. Our fears were quelled when we arrived at the Desert Rose. The grounds are well isolated from "the neighborhood" and the dwelling itself is set well back on the property. Once you pass through the gate, you feel much better.

The grounds were well kept and my son went crazy for the resident llamas. Even the cats running around the property lent to the homey atmosphere.

One of the staff greeted us and showed us around - made us feel right at home and answered all our questions.

They got the information for our train ride to us promptly.

The only complaint we had was the first night we stayed, we didn't know how to turn on the heat! I guess most people figure out that the "simulated fireplace" is also the heater, but we didn't until the morning.

We found everything clean and operational - but be warned that this isn't the ultra-modern B&B you might see on TV. Others have reviewed it as a bit ... antiquated ... which is honestly true. That didn't bother us - but I can see some people demanding a bit more. Too cold for the pool, so we didn't really hang out there.

Wifi is available for the communications junkies among us and it worked great without a hitch (you'll need the password from the staff to use it).

Very pleasant experience. If you're doing a weekend jaunt to Sedona or the Verde Railroad, this would be a great place to hang your hat. Everything you need is close by - plenty of restaurants, shopping, drug store, etc. Recommended!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Shane M
We love having first time B&B guests and it always fills us with joy when we are able to convert them into B&B lovers!

We do try to respond to all our emails and phone calls in the most timely manner, thanks for recognizing that.

Our B&B is located in a typical rural Arizona neighborhood which is extremely central to the whole Verde Valley, 15 minutes from Sedona and Jerome, 5 minutes from Old Town Cottonwood. Our neighborhood is very safe and quiet as it is a cul-de-sac with only about 20 homes on our street. Furthermore, our property is on 1.5 acres and is an island by itself.

The llamas which reside on the front portion of our property are always a great attraction for our guests! We actually just had a baby llama born a month or so ago, you must see it, he is so CUTE!

Since your stay, we have made sure to explain to all our guests how to operate the decorative fireplace found in the room that you stayed in. Thanks for informing us of this.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us, we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We recently stayed three nights at the Desert Rose B&B in Cottonwood and found it very much to our liking. Our room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. The rural setting was quiet and easy to find, close to Sedona, Jerome and other area attractions. Betty and Sebastien were very accomodating, readily available and attentive to our needs all the while we were there. On one of the three mornings, Betty had a full house and provided for all of us very efficiently. Breakfasts were healthy, and nicely prepared to order with plenty of variety. We definitely recommend this B&B and will get in touch to book directly with them when we travel back to that area.
Jeff and Pat J. Las Cruces, NM

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JeffandPatJones
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We pride ourselves on the high level of attention that we give all our guests, it is nice to have that recognized.

Come back soon!
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was my very first time staying at a B&B - as I am a hotel junky! Big beds, comfy pillows, room service - love them! However, I had always been very curious about b&b's - would I have to share a bathroom with other people, would I be locked out if I stayed out late, what if the breakfast is just crappy - or what if i sleep in and MISS breakfast???

Well...sweet, adorable Betty at the Desert Rose laid ALL of my fears to rest. From the moment I pulled up (in the rain, and into the wrong area), to the moment we were walking out the door she was an absolute doll. My boyfriend and I went up to get a breather from our little ones, and to celebrate my birthday. Not being familiar with the area, Betty showed us maps and gave us very detailed directions on how to get to Sedona, Jerome, and various Cottonwood eateries. Our room was clean - and MUCH larger than any hotel room I have EVER stayed in. The bed was HUGE and had the biggest, fluffiest pillows I have ever slept on. The other really cool part about the room was that when we cracked our bedroom window (it was COLD outside) we could hear the water bubbling through the fountain outside - SOOOO relaxing.

When we asked Betty what time breakfast was, she turned the tables and asked US what time we wanted to eat! WHAAAAATTTT??? Now, I read another not-so-nice review recommending you stay at the La Quinta down the road...ummmmm....if you don't wake up by 7 and high tail it down to their "dining room" before 8, you can forget about eating ANYTHING worthwhile, with flavor - or even COOKED! AND WHO WANTS TO WAKE UP EARLY ON VACATION - JUST TO EAT???? So, we said 9 a.m. would be great. 9a.m. rolls around, we roll out of bed, and feast our eyes on a a set table, juice, coffee, cereal, choice of bagels, english muffins, or whole wheat toast, fresh fruit and organic peanut butter and jams! WHAT?? WHAT???? We were just thrilled - and then Betty made us eggs - yum-my! And totally fueled us for our long day ahead in Sedona.

The property was fine for us - it's fall/winter...in Arizona...i'm not expecting green grass and flowers (although I was surprised there was so much grass - BECAUSE IT'S ARIZONA). The layout of the property was great. We had a great time feeding the sweet alpaca's, and exploring the "secret tree cave". Can't wait to go back in the spring - and will be recommending the Desert Rose to ALLLLLL of my friends and family! Will make sure my honey does the same!

Thanks again Desert Rose! My birthday was AB-FAB! (that's short for ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Adiba N
We are always thrilled to have the opportunity to convert a "Hotel Junkie" into a B&B lover! We do have big comfy beds and plush pillows, but sorry, no room service.

Our biggest rooms are about 400 square feet with ensuite private bathrooms, ALL our rooms have KING beds and YES, you can hear our majestic water fountain in ALL the rooms just by cracking the window a little! A nice way to fall asleep...

We are very happy you enjoyed our breakfast which typically is between 8am and 9am. As you stated, we do try to accommodate our guests as much as possible and can vary the breakfast time upon request.

It was a great pleasure having you stay with us, please do spread the word and come back soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We go to a lot of B&B throughout the United States and I have to say that this is one of the ones which we would definitely not go back to. Area of property is not that great. Next door is some sort of construction dump, screens are slashed, windows are dirty. Tables and chairs by pool is a welcome area except for the pit which looks as if the cats make use of that. Furniture is 1970-80's and the rooms truly need to be updated. Bed was comfortable except if you tried to get over the lump in the middle. They really need better air ventilation and fans in the rooms. The breakfast was comparable to staying at a La Quinta.....you fix yourself breakfast except if you want an egg. The innkeeper was very nice and her kids were very quiet.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mary l
We would like to thank you for sharing your comments here and are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Our location is typical to rural Arizona and very central to the whole Verde Valley with easy access to Old Twon Cottonwood, Sedona and Jerome.

Our breakfast is served in a elegant dining room served on fine china and silverware, not exactly what you would find at La Quinta.

Yes, our furniture is antique as clearly shown in our B&B pictures. Our beds all KING size, are new and many of our previous guests have commented on Tripadvisor and to us directly that our beds are extremely comfortable, we are really not sure what is this hump you talk about.

We very much regret that you did not mention anything to us whilst at our B&B which would have enabled us to swiftly correct the issues that you mention or else find you an alternate place to stay. This is part of our commitment to guest satisfaction. We absolutely, positively do not want guests staying with us against their will and that are nott thrilled to be here.

If you would like to discuss your issues further with us, I would invite you to either call us at 928-646-0236 OR email us at desertrosebandb@hotmail.com. Again, we appreciate the feedback and hope that in the future, you will give us the privilege of a second chance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottonwood
2.3 km away
8.4 km away
The Arizona Lighthouse B&B
The Arizona Lighthouse B&B
#1 of 4 in Clarkdale

Been to Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK