Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast
Best Western Cottonwood Inn(Cottonwood)(Great Value!)
US$ 136
Hotels.com
Pines Motel(Cottonwood)
US$ 116
US$ 108
Little Daisy Motel(Cottonwood)(Great Value!)
US$ 95
The Tavern Hotel(Cottonwood)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsb bother guestsdeluxe roomshared bathroomfarm fresh eggsfull housequicheyogurtjacuzzi tubrock waterfun surprisebeautiful landscapinghalf bathtwo sinksbig screen tvenjoyed our stayfelt like home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Our first experience with a B&B was a great one, thanks to the staff at Desert Rose.

As we planned our trip (our destination was Verde Canyon Railroad), the staff kept in constant communications with us - sending us pictures of the very room we were going to be staying in, working out details of the railroad trip and answering all of our questions.

They were very helpful in providing a very nice air-bed for my 5 year old son - it was ready when we got there.

When the GPS said we were a quarter mile away and we were still in a sort of run down neighborhood, we thought maybe we had made a mistake. Our fears were quelled when we arrived at the Desert Rose. The grounds are well isolated from "the neighborhood" and the dwelling itself is set well back on the property. Once you pass through the gate, you feel much better.

The grounds were well kept and my son went crazy for the resident llamas. Even the cats running around the property lent to the homey atmosphere.

One of the staff greeted us and showed us around - made us feel right at home and answered all our questions.

They got the information for our train ride to us promptly.

The only complaint we had was the first night we stayed, we didn't know how to turn on the heat! I guess most people figure out that the "simulated fireplace" is also the heater, but we didn't until the morning.

We found everything clean and operational - but be warned that this isn't the ultra-modern B&B you might see on TV. Others have reviewed it as a bit ... antiquated ... which is honestly true. That didn't bother us - but I can see some people demanding a bit more. Too cold for the pool, so we didn't really hang out there.

Wifi is available for the communications junkies among us and it worked great without a hitch (you'll need the password from the staff to use it).

Very pleasant experience. If you're doing a weekend jaunt to Sedona or the Verde Railroad, this would be a great place to hang your hat. Everything you need is close by - plenty of restaurants, shopping, drug store, etc. Recommended!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Shane M
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

We love having first time B&B guests and it always fills us with joy when we are able to convert them into B&B lovers!

We do try to respond to all our emails and phone calls in the most timely manner, thanks for recognizing that.

Our B&B is located in a typical rural Arizona neighborhood which is extremely central to the whole Verde Valley, 15 minutes from Sedona and Jerome, 5 minutes from Old Town Cottonwood. Our neighborhood is very safe and quiet as it is a cul-de-sac with only about 20 homes on our street. Furthermore, our property is on 1.5 acres and is an island by itself.

The llamas which reside on the front portion of our property are always a great attraction for our guests! We actually just had a baby llama born a month or so ago, you must see it, he is so CUTE!

Since your stay, we have made sure to explain to all our guests how to operate the decorative fireplace found in the room that you stayed in. Thanks for informing us of this.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us, we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We recently stayed three nights at the Desert Rose B&B in Cottonwood and found it very much to our liking. Our room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. The rural setting was quiet and easy to find, close to Sedona, Jerome and other area attractions. Betty and Sebastien were very accomodating, readily available and attentive to our needs all the while we were there. On one of the three mornings, Betty had a full house and provided for all of us very efficiently. Breakfasts were healthy, and nicely prepared to order with plenty of variety. We definitely recommend this B&B and will get in touch to book directly with them when we travel back to that area.
Jeff and Pat J. Las Cruces, NM

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jeff J

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We pride ourselves on the high level of attention that we give all our guests, it is nice to have that recognized.

Come back soon!

Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was my very first time staying at a B&B - as I am a hotel junky! Big beds, comfy pillows, room service - love them! However, I had always been very curious about b&b's - would I have to share a bathroom with other people, would I be locked out if I stayed out late, what if the breakfast is just crappy - or what if i sleep in and MISS breakfast???

Well...sweet, adorable Betty at the Desert Rose laid ALL of my fears to rest. From the moment I pulled up (in the rain, and into the wrong area), to the moment we were walking out the door she was an absolute doll. My boyfriend and I went up to get a breather from our little ones, and to celebrate my birthday. Not being familiar with the area, Betty showed us maps and gave us very detailed directions on how to get to Sedona, Jerome, and various Cottonwood eateries. Our room was clean - and MUCH larger than any hotel room I have EVER stayed in. The bed was HUGE and had the biggest, fluffiest pillows I have ever slept on. The other really cool part about the room was that when we cracked our bedroom window (it was COLD outside) we could hear the water bubbling through the fountain outside - SOOOO relaxing.

When we asked Betty what time breakfast was, she turned the tables and asked US what time we wanted to eat! WHAAAAATTTT??? Now, I read another not-so-nice review recommending you stay at the La Quinta down the road...ummmmm....if you don't wake up by 7 and high tail it down to their "dining room" before 8, you can forget about eating ANYTHING worthwhile, with flavor - or even COOKED! AND WHO WANTS TO WAKE UP EARLY ON VACATION - JUST TO EAT???? So, we said 9 a.m. would be great. 9a.m. rolls around, we roll out of bed, and feast our eyes on a a set table, juice, coffee, cereal, choice of bagels, english muffins, or whole wheat toast, fresh fruit and organic peanut butter and jams! WHAT?? WHAT???? We were just thrilled - and then Betty made us eggs - yum-my! And totally fueled us for our long day ahead in Sedona.

The property was fine for us - it's fall/winter...in Arizona...i'm not expecting green grass and flowers (although I was surprised there was so much grass - BECAUSE IT'S ARIZONA). The layout of the property was great. We had a great time feeding the sweet alpaca's, and exploring the "secret tree cave". Can't wait to go back in the spring - and will be recommending the Desert Rose to ALLLLLL of my friends and family! Will make sure my honey does the same!

Thanks again Desert Rose! My birthday was AB-FAB! (that's short for ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Adiba N

We are always thrilled to have the opportunity to convert a "Hotel Junkie" into a B&B lover! We do have big comfy beds and plush pillows, but sorry, no room service.

Our biggest rooms are about 400 square feet with ensuite private bathrooms, ALL our rooms have KING beds and YES, you can hear our majestic water fountain in ALL the rooms just by cracking the window a little! A nice way to fall asleep...

We are very happy you enjoyed our breakfast which typically is between 8am and 9am. As you stated, we do try to accommodate our guests as much as possible and can vary the breakfast time upon request.

It was a great pleasure having you stay with us, please do spread the word and come back soon!

Reviewed 27 October 2011

We go to a lot of B&B throughout the United States and I have to say that this is one of the ones which we would definitely not go back to. Area of property is not that great. Next door is some sort of construction dump, screens are slashed, windows are dirty. Tables and chairs by pool is a welcome area except for the pit which looks as if the cats make use of that. Furniture is 1970-80's and the rooms truly need to be updated. Bed was comfortable except if you tried to get over the lump in the middle. They really need better air ventilation and fans in the rooms. The breakfast was comparable to staying at a La Quinta.....you fix yourself breakfast except if you want an egg. The innkeeper was very nice and her kids were very quiet.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mary l

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments here and are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Our location is typical to rural Arizona and very central to the whole Verde Valley with easy access to Old Twon Cottonwood, Sedona and Jerome.

Our breakfast is served in a elegant dining room served on fine china and silverware, not exactly what you would find at La Quinta.

Yes, our furniture is antique as clearly shown in our B&B pictures. Our beds all KING size, are new and many of our previous guests have commented on Tripadvisor and to us directly that our beds are extremely comfortable, we are really not sure what is this hump you talk about.

We very much regret that you did not mention anything to us whilst at our B&B which would have enabled us to swiftly correct the issues that you mention or else find you an alternate place to stay. This is part of our commitment to guest satisfaction. We absolutely, positively do not want guests staying with us against their will and that are nott thrilled to be here.

If you would like to discuss your issues further with us, I would invite you to either call us at 928-646-0236 OR email us at desertrosebandb@hotmail.com. Again, we appreciate the feedback and hope that in the future, you will give us the privilege of a second chance.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

It was our 3 year anniversary and the end of August and could not wait to get out of the blazing heat of Phoenix. My husband surprised me with our anniversary trip up north. He drove me to this bed and breakfast. I was intrigued when I first saw the Alpacas in the yard and then the turkeys at the beginning of the driveway up at the house. That was impressive to me as we have backyard chickens so I was curious to see how Turkeys would be. We walked in the house and no one was there to greet us. My husband had made a phone call before we got there to give her an eta when we would be there and then had to make another phone call to her when we did get there and got her voice mail and we had to wait 5-10 minutes for the hostess to finally show up and meet us. That is a long time to wait after a long drive. It seemed that she was unprepared for our arrival when she clearly had time to prepare as my husband had made a reservation and called in advance. I was not impressed with that. She was very informative as she was checking us in and seemed helpful at first. Her husband came out to get something and he looked as if he was annoyed we were there by the look on his face when I tried to smile at him-not a Hi or a Welcome or a smile. Very much a cold shoulder-not very hospitable. At check-in my first red flag was that she had commented that her dog was locked in her "messy kitchen" because he was scratching the door. The kitchen was closed off so I could not see it and this was where she was going to make my breakfast? We decided not to try her breakfasts. We went out to eat for our breakfasts. And she asked that no pets are allowed indoors yet she had her dog in her kitchen. When we went up to the room it was very spacious and seemed nice at first until I went into the bathroom. It was as if she forgot to clean our room from the previous guest's stay. There was a ring around the toilet bowl water line as if it had not been cleaned for a month or it was just a really bad stain and they should really just invest in a new toilet. All of the soap bottles were empty-the hand soap bottles at both sinks and an empty bottle of body wash in the shower-not even a clean new bar of soap still in the package. The towels had a sour smell like they were left in the washer too long-that nasty smell that happens to towels when they are not washed properly. The tissue boxes were empty. The only thing she did have was toilet paper. We had to go to Safeway to buy some soap. The shampoo and conditioner were the big bottles from costco and were half full. My husband had to pre pay with a check because her credit card machine was not working and all the the other hotels in the area were full due to the holiday weekend so there was no way we could leave and go somewhere else. I also learned they gave him a package deal that included tickets to the Verde Canyon Railroad which was the purpose for our trip to Cottonwood so we had to stay. We stayed 3 nights. On our first night I woke up with pet dander all over my pajamas like the she let her dog romp around the room and on the bed. It was as if the bedding was never washed from the previous guest. And then on our first morning there we wanted to check with her to see if she had our tickets to the train or if they were at the will call. I could hear someone in the back bedroom on her side of the house so I knew someone was there. There was no doorbell or anything to buzz or ring for service and we didn't want to be late for the train so I knocked on her wall several times and had to yell 'Hello' several times for someone to finally open a bedroom door and there was a lady that came out with a dirty diaper in her hand. She looked annoyed that I was trying to get someone's attention. I saw our hostess behind her with a toddler and did not say anything like-Can I help you? or anything. I had to ask for her to come out of the bedroom so I could speak with her. That is not service. She advised us our tickets were at the will call desk and she didn't have them.
That is unacceptable to me. All it would have taken was a once over to check the room. I didn't say anything because I didn't feel I should have to. These are basic hospitality standards that are expected when you are running any kind of business like that. It was not like a light bulb went out and needed replaced. I am surprised given the hotels in the area and the competition she is up against. As I a looking at her website the pictures are nothing like it really was. The pool looked dirty and the fountain was off.

Room Tip: I don't recommend staying here
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jerralee H
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

We are very, VERY sorry that so many aspects of your stay fell far short of your expectations. We appreciate all guest feedback and take guest comments very seriously by investigating and correcting issues appropriately. We would nonetheless like to say, that we regret you did not mention anything to us whilst at our B&B which would have enabled us to swiftly correct the issues that you mention or else find you an alternate place to stay. This is part of our commitment to guest satisfaction.

We try to do our best to make all our guests feel at home which is for some people and perhaps not for others. Even though we want to be everything for all people, it is impossible for us to do so. During the time that you came, we were having some staffing problems which have since then been resolved. We have hired two new staff members to help the Innkeeper take care of the Desert Rose and keep the high standards our guests have come to expect and deserve.