“Don't go fishing on the Halibut Grove in Valdez”

Alaskan Adventures Unlimited
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 7 August 2016

This is an unethical company. They tell you upfront that they will fish in poor weather and that if they cannot fish in the Gulf of Alaska they give you the option to fish inside protected areas, and that if you decide to not fish under these conditions, you will forfeit $50.00/person of the charter price conditions.

What they don't tell you is that they will take you out to the Gulf of Alaska, pretending it is fishable and that they don't know the sea conditions until they get out there. This way you are on the hook for the full price of the charter. This is exactly what happened to us in July 2016. Took us 3 hrs to get out, fished for 45 mins in such hi seas that the anchor couldn't hold. Then had to run back which took 4 hrs due to 10 + ft seas, and once in protected areas, only had 1/2 hr to fish. Needless to say my wife and I caught nothing due to not enough fishing time. We also got pounded to death in the boat. I called Mel to complain who would not make any price adjustment, claiming you can't know the conditions until you are out there. If that is true, why write in the agreement that if too rough to go out, you have option to not fish and forfeit 50.00? This company is greedy and out for your money and not in any way looking out for you.

3  Thank spotfin

Reviewed 9 July 2015

I highly recommend the Halibut Grove. As a local Alaskan I have been out on charters several times, but I must say that Jason and Seth made this trip a huge success. They kept us on fish the whole time and we're friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. We almost limited out on all species we were fishing for. We came back with nice halibut, rockfish, and huge ling cod. It was an exceptional trip and I definitely will try to book another trip with them! Thanks guys for a job well done.

2  Thank MedicG
Reviewed 21 September 2014

Went fishing with Capt Seth - a friend and her elderly father and my elderly father. On the boat was a very pretty young woman and her dad that we didn't know. Can't blame young Seth but he was extremely helpful to the young woman and not very helpful to our party. The young woman pulled in many fish he hooked and none or maybe one that she did. He said he was in college and "would have to get a real job". ....Young Seth when your party is paying you as much as we did.....it is a real job. Our catch was good despite his attention elsewhere and we enjoyed the trip. Our fathers should have had more of your attention. Respect your elders not your hormones.

4  Thank BlueFalconRidge
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was our second trip to Valdez for fishing charters. The first time there we were on the Otter Dodger and the dewas extremely unprofessional and the customers were treated like jerks. This time though we were on the Halibut Grove captained by Seth Grove and had an awesome time! Seth worked his butt off to make sure we caught fish. We brought home Lingcod, black rockfish, halibut, and yellow eye. We will definitely book with the Halibut Grove again!

5  Thank JCTC411
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have been to Alaska many times, and have been on 4 fishing charters now. I just went on one out of Valdez on the Halibut Grove, with Seth as the captain. They run out of the Alaskan Adventures website, and I think the owners name is Mel. It was the best charter I have been on. I have to say that the weather was perfect, so that has a lot to do with it. But the boat and Seth were great to deal with.
We started off by meeting at 6am at the dock. The Halibut Grove is an all aluminum boat, and is extremely clean and well maintained. We had a total of 6 guests, and there was enough room for everyone. We could bring a small cooler or bag with all of the stuff we needed for the day. I had basic food, drinks and dry clothes.
Seth started by introducing himself and giving us a rundown of the boat. We were quickly out of the Valdez harbor, and headed out for about a 2.5 hour trip to the halibut area. The views of the Prince William area was fantastic. Like I said, the weather was calm as a baby's bathtub, and it was 75 degrees. How couldn't it be great. The boat cruised out at great speed with twin engines running nice and smooth.
We boated around a number of islands and headed out to see. A bunch of sea otters were all around the islands, which was cool. Seth dropped anchor in 220 feet of water, and we were off to the races. I was the first to land a 30 pound halibut, and based on prior charters, which were not so good, I kept it. We hooked into a ton of halibut. The guy next to me, Steve landed a 70 pounder! Had to be speared to get it in. Seth managed to handle all of the people without any problems. He was very patient, even when we snagged or tangled our lines.
I finally hooked into a good one, and landed a 50 pounder. That filled my limit. I caught over 12 halibut. Soon the rest of the boat was filling their limit. The one woman on board pulled in one at 55 pounds! All of the ones we kept were over 20 pounds each.
We were off to the shallower waters for lingcod and rockfish. I really wanted a lingcod, as I have never caught one on any other charter. People started pulling them in left and right. I pulled in some great rockfish, and one was a China Rockfish with black and yellow stripes. Really cool fish. I got some huge yelloweye. But while there were at least 25 lingcod caught by others, I could not get one.
The day was getting late and Seth could tell I really wanted one. He pulled back over the flats, and had everyone stop fishing but me. I was baited up with the best gold flash jig, and the entire boat let me fish alone. Within a minute, I had hooked up with a great lingcod! Finally, one more fish to my list. Seth was a great captain, and any other charter I had ever been on would have said, "well better luck next time pal". But not Seth. He made sure everyone limited out and went home pleased.
Now this charter was a little more expensive than others I had been on (Whittier, Ninilchick, Seward) but was by far the best. Seth kept even the bathrooms clean. No fish slime anywhere. I am disabled, and the rail around the ship was perfect for me, and it had slots to put the poles in to help reel in the fish.
If you can go with these guys on a nice day, you will have the fishing trip of your life!

9  Thank ChicagoMatu