“Incredible Diving, Terrible Guide”
Review of TOPDIVE Fakarava

TOPDIVE Fakarava
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Fakarava
More attraction details
Owner description: The best of scuba-diving in Fakarva. 2 Diving centers in Fakarava located in Rotoava village, and on motu Penu close to the south pass. 4 Dives a day - Fun dives, introductory dives and certifications. Free Nitrox and free pick up.
Reviewed 26 November 2017

My husband and I went to Fakarava during our honeymoon to do some great diving... and it surly didn't disappoint. I remember coming up from our first dive telling my husband that it was one of the best dives we had ever done, and how pristine the coral was (and we have both done over 2000 dives). The wall of sharks is incredible.

Our guide, however, was not so incredible. He was rude and treated us poorly. To give you a couple examples, he gave me attitude when I asked for a mask (it's quite hard to dive without one), could speak english but chose not to when doing dive briefings so I never really knew what was going on, he would go under the water and start the dive without signaling to my husband and I to go down, and we hardly ever saw him during the dive. Luckily, we are instructors with a lot of experience, and so I understand we don't need as much attention under the water, but his demeanor made me uncomfortable to ask anything. And this isn't even the worse part. On our last dive 4 of us became separated from the group which is no surprise as we hardly saw him, in a very strong current. We had to crawl across the bottom floor to get to the spot we had been on previous dives where we knew it would be safe to ascend. We couldn't go up right there because of the ripping current that would have taken us to the deep blue, hence why we couldn't go up after 1 minute. Once we did get to a safe place we went up and our guide and the rest of the group was no where to be seen! He didn't come up until another 35 minutes and just shrugged it off like it was no big deal. I am confident that if I did not have the training that I have, something seriously could have gone wrong!

Bottom line is it's a great place to dive, but be careful who your guide is and it helps to be an experienced diver.

3  Thank jessiegriffin1
"underwater world"
"topdive"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We are a couple with more than 2000 dives each and I can tell you in terms of marine life I had some of the best dives in my life in Fakarava South. The wall of sharks is definitely something you shouldn't miss as a diver. However make sure you don't dive with Eric! He was the most unprofessional, grumpy and rude dive guide I have ever dove with in my life. To start he was upset when I please asked him to exchange my regulator coz it was free flowing hard from a second stage. You could hear the hiss of the air even 2 meters away from the tank. Then he proceeded to refuse giving the dive briefing in English so had to guess what we were doing in that dive. Did 4 dives with him, Saw him about 2 times underwater during those dives. On most of the dives we would go under without warning us at all. But the worst was saved for the last dive. With an outgoing current and really bad visibility the group got lost. Luckily since we have some experience and had dove the site 3 other times we manage to cross the pass dragging ourselves at the bottom with a ripping current trying to send us into the middle of the Pacific Ocean, meaning that if we had come up straight away like the 1 minute rule states we would be being dragged out in the middle of the Ocean. Once we got to a safe area, more or less after 5 minutes after we got separated we came up, got picked up by the boat and no sign of Eric. He eventually came up about 35 minutes later and the only thing he told us was "oh great you made it to the safe zone" ... I honestly think this guy shouldn't be working as a dive guide! Had we had less experience and I'm not sure if I would be here to warn people. Please make yourself a favour and ask do not dive with Eric!

5  Thank André F
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Went to the South Pass on Fakarava for a rendezvous with the black tip reef sharks that live there. The boat ride from Raimiti Pensionne is about 45 minutes to the Pass and TopDive Fakarava. There are sharks everywhere you look, in the shallows around the dock and in the Pass, hundreds of sharks. TopDive is first rate and took us on a ride through the pass with the current pulling us through. The only way to stop is to grab onto a piece of coral and hold on. Not only did we see sharks, but lots of groupers, eels, spotted eagle rays and very large schools of various fish. Very happy with the dives to the South Pass, a once in a lifetime dive and would recommend TopDive to anyone thinking about going to Fakarava to dive.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Top Dive did a great job. Equipment was good although as previously mentioned we were surprised with Nitrox only. My wife and I have only 30 dives. We did not notice any changes using Nitrox. North dive was great and a bit easier for us. Dive masters were excellent We found the current in the south pass was stronger than we were used to. Extra effort in the south caused us to use air and shorten the dive. Might want to skip the south pass if you are inexperienced or not in the best physical shape. Also we stayed at Raimiti in the south end of the island. People that transferred from the north to dive the south and return the same day said it was a very long and tiring day.

2  Thank David_Laurie6
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 July 2017

Of the thousands of dives I have done this company was one of the very best. A big thank you to Francisque and Mana. their dive briefings were great and guiding fantastic as they really new the pass and understood all the different tidal movements and currents giving us some of the best ever drift dives over this amazing pass. This was the most professional and knowledgeable company, with the highest regards to safety, that we experienced in French Polynesia. Francisque, Mana and the captain went out of their way sorting all our dive equipment and changing tanks,and checking over our gear nothing was too much trouble, which is fantastic on holiday to be looked after so well. We can't wait to get back, thanks Paul and Mon Oz