“Dives in North and South cut”
Review of TOPDIVE Fakarava

TOPDIVE Fakarava
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Fakarava
More attraction details
Owner description: The best of scuba-diving in Fakarva. 2 Diving centers in Fakarava located in Rotoava village, and on motu Penu close to the south pass. 4 Dives a day - Fun dives, introductory dives and certifications. Free Nitrox and free pick up.
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Top Dive did a great job. Equipment was good although as previously mentioned we were surprised with Nitrox only. My wife and I have only 30 dives. We did not notice any changes using Nitrox. North dive was great and a bit easier for us. Dive masters were excellent We found the current in the south pass was stronger than we were used to. Extra effort in the south caused us to use air and shorten the dive. Might want to skip the south pass if you are inexperienced or not in the best physical shape. Also we stayed at Raimiti in the south end of the island. People that transferred from the north to dive the south and return the same day said it was a very long and tiring day.

2  Thank David_Laurie6
in 27 reviews
"nitrox"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Of the thousands of dives I have done this company was one of the very best. A big thank you to Francisque and Mana. their dive briefings were great and guiding fantastic as they really new the pass and understood all the different tidal movements and currents giving us some of the best ever drift dives over this amazing pass. This was the most professional and knowledgeable company, with the highest regards to safety, that we experienced in French Polynesia. Francisque, Mana and the captain went out of their way sorting all our dive equipment and changing tanks,and checking over our gear nothing was too much trouble, which is fantastic on holiday to be looked after so well. We can't wait to get back, thanks Paul and Mon Oz

Reviewed 30 May 2017

As part of a Windstar cruise, I booked a 14 dive package for my wife and I. Fakarava was our first stop. I had completed the diver survey, including contact information, nitrox preference, equipment needed, etc. This location apparently didn't get the info, and demanded I fill out the form again. OK, Island time, Island coordination. My wife just received her certification, and so the next two items are not pardonable.

#1 - they claimed they could not provide air. ONLY Nitrox. Their version of "discover Nitrox" included 60 seconds of basic concepts while roaring to the dive site. I am pretty sure this is NOT consistent with how PADI envisioned the program. Other divers from our boat refused to dive Nitrox and left.

#2 - NO depth gauge on any rental equipment. The TopDive website brags about their safety, including supplying dive computers. Even if it were an analog gauge, NO ONE should go diving w/o having a depth gauge. Luckily, I brought my own gear, and could relay depth to my wife. But I cannot imagine why any dive operator would fail to provide this fundamental piece of equipment. We were later to experience that NO TopDive location we visited in Tahiti provides depth gauges for their rental customers.

Lastly - I mentioned I provided my contact info with the equipment form. We showed up at the dock at 0830 hrs, as agreed upon. After waiting for 15-20 minutes, I called them on my cell phone (same number provided at booking), to discover that they were postponing our dive till 1000 hrs. Wouldn't that be a very good use of my contact info?? I could have slept in, waited on an air-conditioned ship, etc.

All in all - deeply disappointed with the clear lack of communication amongst TopDive entities, and very troubled by their flagrant safety violations.

4  Thank Brent M
Reviewed 4 May 2017

We dove with TOPDIVE for 2 days in Fakarava; the North Pass and South Pass. On the first day we were the only 2 divers on the boat! They picked us up from our hotel and brought us back at end of day. South Pass was 1 1/2 hours away by boat from where we stayed. They fixed a great lunch for us to have during the surface interval. They are safety conscious and watch the current to ensure a great dive and still be safe. I would definitely recommend diving with them. We couldn't believe the number of sharks on the dives. So many that we couldn't count them all.Loved diving here and with TOPDIVE.

2  Thank diveonSt_Charles