“Bora Bora's best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
east bay
“Bora Bora's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the st. Regis for 5 days in late June. As almost all the reviews here state, this is a first class resort with exceptional service. We loved our over water bungalow and enjoyed swimming around the deck every day. We were treated to a private dinner on the beach for our 25th wedding anniversary....one of the best dinners we have ever had. We loved hanging out at the oasis pool (adult pool), very private and empty. We really loved the resort. The one and only issue I would suggest to the St. Regis is that their pricing (food and drinks) is so high that it impacts the use of restaurants. I realize everything is expensive in FP, but we did enough traveling to see that everything was at least 30% more at the st. Regis. While we were there the resort was full, but we counted 2 couples eating dinner in the beach restaurant. We went to watch the sunset and get a drink at the lagoon restaurant, there was one other couple there. Cocktails are $25. The view is so incredible you think it's a postcard or screen saver. We could not imagine why so few were there other than the price.
Bottom line, this is one of the best resorts in the world, with a staff that knows how to keep vacationers happy.

Stayed June 2012
3 Thank simpleman316
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Bora Bora was added to my “Bucket List” after watching Couples Retreat. After coming home from the movie theater I stayed up to the wee hours Googling my heart out. I found out it was filmed in Bora Bora, primarily at the St. Regis resort, and that it would cost me my firstborn. I researched many different resorts in an effort to cut costs and make the trip more financially responsible. But my heart was set on the St. Regis. Claudia at Pacific for Less was able to put together all the puzzle pieces for cheaper than I could. Plus the added perks were FANTASTIC - massages, romantic dinner on the beach, free breakfast, room upgrades, the list goes on and on. It was still the most expensive trip I’ve ever taken. But I plan on doing it as often as I can afford.

The island – perfection. When I picture heaven, its name is Bora Bora. It is the most breathtaking location in the world. The geography of the island and surrounding motus make it phenomenal. Heaven comes at a price, and that is heat and humidity. But it’s a price worth paying. The resort does a fantastic job with keeping the bugs at bay, otherwise those could be a potential downside.

St. Regis Bora Bora is top notch. It’s exactly what you’d expect of a five-star property. The design of the resort is fantastic. The villas are dreamy. In fact, I’ve already decided to recreate the gorgeous bathroom in the next house that I build. That’s how much I loved our villa. There were a couple quibbles over minor things, which I’ll include in my list of things we learned.

Food is the Achilles heel of Bora Bora. It’s a French Polynesian island. A lot of tourists and most of the staff are European and so they prepare food in European style and taste. It’s just a “given”. When you’re on a private island you are restricted to what food they offer. I spent some time on TripAdvisor researching the difference between food available at resorts. We wanted to be sure that we ponied up the money for the best possible resort food. Based on research, St. Regis was the winner. You should know before you go that the prices are outrageous - $30 for a hamburger kind of outrageous. You just have to accept that fact in advance and realize it is all part of the experience. Here are the tips and tricks we learned:
- Our package included the free breakfast buffet. We stuffed ourselves silly to avoid eating lunch. They offer the same options every day, hardly any variation, which got old by day five or six, but that’s just silly to complain about. The waiters can give you a list of made-to-order items. I tried every single one and I loved them all.
- We found that the bar next to the swimming pool has a food menu available. That food is the most “American” and the most cost effective you’ll find on the resort. We ended up eating there for a late lunch (due to stuffing ourselves during breakfast), or dinner.
- Lagoon restaurant was our favorite for a formal dinner. Be sure to get a table on the deck. They light up the water so you can watch the fish and it’s absolutely fascinating. I’m not sure my husband and I said very much to each other during the whole meal because there was so much drama to watch in the water. The steak was the only thing that we really liked. Remember that the restaurant is European style, so simple things we are accustomed to, like a salad course of leafy greens with dressing, is totally foreign to them. One night my husband substituted potatoes for the veggie that was supposed to come with his entrée. He got two pieces of potato. Literally, two pieces.
- Polynesian Buffet night – It’s not worth it. Period. They want $150 per person for a buffet that was not worth $150, not even in Bora Bora terms. We didn’t care for most of the food offered. The made-to-order food was poorly prepared and badly seasoned. Locally caught fish that was made-to-order and looked fantastic was like chewing rubber. It was a crying shame. There is an awesome dancing show at the same time which is free for guests to enjoy. But don’t pay the outrageous fee for the buffet.
- Water – we found it odd that $1000+ per night only provided us with two bottles of water for free per day. We got around that by keeping our water bottles and refilling them at the fitness facility, Oasis pool, or other water coolers we found around the resort.

We are a very active, young couple and I didn’t want my husband to get bored on our trip. So after I made sure we had plenty of time for R&R, I booked a few activities. After renting bikes and circling the mainland (19 miles around) in 90 degree, high humidity weather, we were miserable from the heat. We cancelled the island hike I had planned because you just don’t want to be exerting that kind of energy when it’s so hot. We did do the helmet diving trip, which was pretty awesome. I arranged that through the concierge at the resort. The next time we’ll plan on water-based excursions only, if we plan any paid activities at all. There were a lot of complimentary water activities (paddle boarding, kayaking, paddle boats, snorkeling, etc.) offered by the resort and the beach worker guys are awesome. One day they had palm leaves available and they taught me to make my own hat.

The resort is very large. For this reason they provide beach cruiser bicycles during daylight hours. The timing is key to point out. They go around the resort and collect all the bikes around 5pm. Most people don’t go to dinner until AFTER 5pm, so that means walking or calling for a ride to and from dinner. It’s understandable because once it gets dark it’s difficult to see the path and people could hurt themselves. The other important tip for using the bikes is that you need to get there early. Even if you aren’t ready to start your day, throw on something and head down and pick up your bikes. Then keep them at your villa until you’re ready to use them. There are a lot of bikes in very poor shape. If you get there first thing in the morning you can pick the bikes that actually work well. Keep a beach towel draped over the seats when you’re not using them to denote that they are reserved.

One thing I’ve learned after our trip is that Air Tahiti Nui is part of the SkyTeam. They are not a full partner, so you can’t earn Delta frequent flier miles for your flight. However, I am given to understand that you can redeem Delta frequent flier miles to book your flight. So my plan is to stock pile my Delta points in anticipation of returning to Bora Bora.

The St. Regis Bora Bora will see us again and again and again…and again. I can’t wait to return to heaven.

Room Tip: Over-water, mountain-view villas are worth every penny!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank c_happyplaces
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I have reviewed other hotels in Bora and still think this is one of the premier properties. Our trips are about rest, relaxation and quality time with each other. At St. Regis, they’re all about the quality of your vacation; you don’t have to ask for a thing. We had 9 days of excellent service, wonderful food and truly relaxing experience.

I will tell you the property is pristine, the bungalows are spacious, well appointed, great views, good location. While some of the other hotels come close and probably 4 Seasons is equally as nice the difference here is the staff. In Bora it’s particularly difficult to find a good quality staff; it’s a remote location next to some of the other islands closer to Tahiti.

At St. Regis they will not let you have a problem. Let’s face it your in a remote location in the S. Pacific, if something breaks or needs repair it may take awhile; things happen. We had a problem with the toilet, well not only was it repaired quickly, they offered another a bungalow to use in the meantime.

I have a bad allergy to nuts and in French it doesn’t always translate correctly. Well one of the dishes had almonds and I had tasted it and stopped eating. The restaurant manager made such a fuss over my well being that I don’t think I’ve ever felt so well cared for in a restaurant. Not only was I asked if I needed a doctor, I was taken back to my room and we were treated to another dinner on the house. They pulled out all the stops on the 2nd meal, we were blown away.

Congrats to St. Regis for putting together such an amazing property with the best staff I’ve ever seen in Bora Bora. I can’t wait until we go back in December; this place is incredible.

Room Tip: You want a view of Mt. Otemanu.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sftraveling1
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

In a word, STUNNING... The St Regis pictures you see online are fantastic, but don't do this place any justice. The hotel is in impeccable condition, with a breathtaking location, and a staff that is second to none. Thank you to our Butler Frederick who was OUTSTANDING! And thank you Nina for everything as well! This is a once in a lifetime trip for most, but I'm making it a point to go back as much as possible!!!!!

Room Tip: If you're going to go, get the over the water villa! Just like on the movie "Couples Retre...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul_P32588
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

Our experience in Bora Bora was incredible. First let me extend our sincerest "Thank You!!," to Claudia and the entire staff at "Pacific for Less," travel agency. Their expertise, knowledge and local relationships proved to be the key to making this trip absolutely amazing!! Not only did they put a wonderful package together at the St Regis, but also at Hotel Le Tahaa', on Tahaa', another island close to Bora Bora. We will write a separate review for that. Now, the St Regis. After we arrived at the airport, we were taken by private boat to the St Regis. The view from the lagoon was spectacular. As you arrive to the dock of the hotel, you already know you're in for a different experience. Yes, a different experience than a St Regis, stateside, but a wonderful first class experience provided by local French Polynesians. The overwater bungalow, by far, the largest and impeccably furnished, created a "difficult to leave the room," experience. The lagoon at the St Regis was the perfect place to swim from the deck of our bungalow. We can't compare to other properties in Bora Bora, but we didn't want to get out of the water. Even one day, when it rained, we found ourselves swimming in this aqua blue paradise. True, there is a bit of walking, the property is very large, but the surroundings, are worth taking in during every stroll. You can also use the bicycles that are provided free of charge if you choose. The Spa was in a secluded area, near a lagoon that was the perfect place for snorkeling, offering an incredible underwater experience. The Spa offered a wide variety of therapies, in a serene atmosphere. We kayaked around the resort, this is something I would highly recommend. The restaurants on the property were very good, with local fare offered. We especially would recommend the Sushi restaurant, our favorite meal, and Jean Georges. Te Pahu provided an excellent buffet breakfast daily. This was a great way to start each morning. The staff was very accommodating for every need. We took the complimentary boat shuttle service to the main island twice. Once in the afternoon, and another time for dinner. It takes a little time, back and forth, waiting for others, but it should be done at least once.There is a local grocery store that provides everything you can imagine at very good prices. It's a great place to stock up on snacks, beer for the room. We would recommend going for the afternoon, visit the main town, and stay for dinner. Bloody Mary's was nice, but not worth the hassle to get there and back. We would have preferred to have dinner again at the Sushi place on the property instead. The pool area was very inviting with swim up bar offering excellent cocktails! There is also another pool area, small, that has private areas to lounge and swim. All in all, our experience was a great one, we would highly recommend this resort. Please remember to check with Pacific for Less, as they can provide little extras that made our stay much more memorable.

Travel on!