“Staff were excellent!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Jensen Beah, FL
“Staff were excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We returned to Bora Bora for our 25th. Found the overwater bungalow at Le Maitai to be a good price. The package was offered by Pacific Holidays. The flights and transfers were very smooth. We were pleased with the place. Two restaurants were part of the meal plan. The food was good but limted in choices. Again, the staff at the restaurant by the bungalows were very accommodating. The native shows were enjoyable especially if you like audience participation fare.
Half through our week I developed a sting/rash condition that required medical attention. The French Dr. in town was excellent, and got me onto the plane home.
Two further helps, I hope: the store a half block away has everything; and a souvenir shop a block away and across from the Intercontinental lets you use their computers all week if you buy $25 worth. Their computers were even set up for Skype and were always available.

Room Tip: we enjoyed the overwater. got to wait in a room away from the water and were glad we were in an over...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank buttonpunky
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Bora Bora was our 2nd stop in french polynesia after spending 4 days on Moorea at the Pearl resort in August 2010. In Moorea we were picked up promptly when we arrived by ferry and taken to the hotel. The Maitai forgot to send someone to get us at the airport ferry, so we sat there with another couple, waiting for 2 hours trying to find a phone that took anything but a prepaid phone card! When we finally got to the hotel we found that the Maitai was not very glamorous, the rooms were slightly less well kept and the food/menu selection was mediocre at best in comparison to tahiti or moorea -- although we really didn't have a phenomenal meal anywhere on the island (we also didn't go to the St Regis!). If you are on a budget, this is the place! The maitai has a tiny beach that was shaded most of the afternoon, but there is an amazing beach about 5 minutes walk up the road. You can borrow kayaks though and snorkel equipment -- though if you want to snorkel, i suggest bringing your own goggles/breathing tube. We had a hard time finding a decent set.

Overall, the staff was friendly and fairly accomodating. I was disappointed to see children at the resort, but to each his own. We noticed mostly couples and a few solo travelers.

Room Tip: The over water bungalows that face out into the reef are the way to go --
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TorontoTraveler79
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

It sort of bothers me that some persons are not laid back about their travel experiences and accommodations. Yes, we live in a high stress world with no time to relax and feel we deserve to be pampered. We finally book a trip and expect certain things to happen and certain standards to be met. Most any of the tropical places we visit are third world countries. We really should know this, realize it, and understand it. Instead of going to a less affluent part of the world and feeling thankful for what we have, we holiday with the expectation that we should be served as would royalty. Where's the fun in that? Where is the adventure and discovery and where are the surprises we read about in books about far off lands as kids? When I think about the South Pacific or Robinson Crusoe or a desert island Bora Bora may be the closest I will get to these. I first thought about this destination after reading James Michener's book, "Hawaii" and finally we got here! It seems much more fun to try to see things as the locals do and try to learn some of their native language than to struggle through a bourgeoisie / proletariat relationship. If you love people but still like to get away from them, this is a perfect vacation...the locals are absolute gems and this island does not suffer from over-commercialization like other areas do; don't you want to feel a little like a Tiki warrior or, if you are a woman, an island flower? My better half surprised me with the trip at Christmas. She is not a watersports person and this is not her kind of trip but she digs me and thus made the sacrifice. Turns out she absolutely loved the laid-back island atmosphere, the sun, the "fish tv" (lighted glass coffee table and floor for watching the sea life), the palm trees, the cooling breezes, the wonderful people and the scenery. She did NOT like all the loose dogs. They didn't threaten us but she had a very scary experience with dogs many, many moons ago. Turns out they all have owners, said a local, but none are tethered and they wander around for the best treats. You are not supposed to feed them, though. The snorkeling is easily the best I have seen in my limited experience. The water is usually exceptionally clear and, if you kayak over to the Sofitel private motu (20"each way...bring some water) it is as clear as we keep the pool water. If you want to see this almost firsthand, in a UTOOB search window, type in, "bora", "blurfix" and, "swcy" and you will see our first video. There was the odd stingray, some crabs and even a few squid right under the overwater bungalows! Some Albertan friends saw the octopus but I was not so lucky. I DID, however, see a little halibut or two...the flatfish that hide under the sand with just their two eyes on the one side sticking out! The multi-coloured clams and spiny urchins were a nice surprise. We took the advice of other Trip-advisor reviewers and fed bread to the fish. If they don't show up in a short time just flick the water with you finger and they will be there toute-suite! There were so many fish under our bungalow some locals even speared their suppers there! Accomodation-wise o/w bungalow #109 was wonderful. It did not feel too posh or luxurious but not tribal, either...it was spacious and just right. We checked out an o/w at the Intercontinental and it was different but ours had the darker wood and we loved it. Also there are corals right underneath the Maitai rooms...definitely not so with most of the other resorts! The Sofitel's grounds are more elegant and spacious but again, we preferred le Maitai for more of an island-like experience. We did not turn the tv on at all the whole trip. We DID get internet for the iPads; it is by far the most reasonable to walk down to the Sofitel and sign up there...it was around $50 for 10 hours and we never hit that length of time. They have hot spots most everywhere but the airport. Money was exchanged at LAX but the rate at le Maitai was better. The hotel has a tiny store just south on the road and it had the best prices on the island for clothing and souvenirs. We bought my wife's black pearl necklace at the two-level open air marketplace in Papeete. It is genuine, beautiful and was extremely reasonable price-wise. Yes, everything is expensive but it was just as bad or worse when I lived in the arctic. It really DOES cost a lot to fly and ship comestibles and products out to the middle of nowhere, though "Bora Bora" and "nowhere" should never be utilized in the same sentence! We should have gotten the full-board package as we ate all our meals there...it was great though myself and another fella may have gotten bitten by the beach restaurant's burgers. They are delish but get them "well-done". We discovered Orangina on our trip to France and happily they had lots of it here. I even drank water from the tap with no ill effects though the bottled tasted better. Word to the wise...try to get a left-hand seat on the plane into Bora Bora for the best view arriving. One thing I really love about places like this and Portugal is that people are more responsible for themselves; because people are self-regulating and look out for each other there are less rules and police all over...we could learn something from these folks. We would recommend this place to anyone and thanks much to Tahira, Utah, and Johnathan especially of the staff. We met the most wonderful honeymooning couple there as well, Davor and Rianna from Chicago. Hopefully we'll see you guys again someday and also "Hi" to Wayne, Norma and Grayson from Alberta!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jeff L
Monterey Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I call this a true getaway because when I arrived, the hotel/island experienced a power outage. The phones, TV, Internet, and my outside light on the bungalow were all NOT functioning and didn't function even after 4 days. I loved being in a bungalow because it is so convenient to just go out and snorkel. You jump off the back deck, and when you're done snorkeling, you climb up the stairs and shower off outside. The snorkeling was great! I saw 2 octopi, a small moray eel, a spotted eagle ray, and so many varieties of fish. There is even a glass area on the floor where you can see the fish that come by your bungalow. At one point, the water was so calm, that the local people came out to do some spearfishing, rode their outrigger canoes, and did some paddle surfing. It was the "calm before the storm". That night and the following day, it poured!!!!!That's when the mosquitoes came out so be prepared with mosquito repellent. There is a restaurant close to the bungalows which has great food. I had their salad bar for 2200 CFP. They have a daily special set menu daily for 1900 CFP. Nearby the hotel is the only other grocery store where you can buy necessities. I didn't get the chance to eat there, but there is another restaurant close to the hotel within walking distance called The Bounty. I visited the Pearl Factory...they will provide transportation if you want to go there. If you want to go to Vaitape (downtown), you can arrange for transportation through the hotel for 1000 CFP round trip. It's cheaper than a taxi. There is a restaurant that I wanted to try called Bloody Mary's but pickup times were 6:40 and 7:45. I couldn't get the 6:40 and didn't want to wait until 7:45 so MAKE RESERVATIONS in advance. One of the optional tours that I took was the Lagoonarium for the full day tour. The guides pulled a rope near an area where black tip sharks and stingrays were and did a feeding as we held onto the rope. Then we went to Coral Gardens where one of the guides tried to get a HUGE moray eel out of its hole and was successful! When the moray eel came out, the guide grabbed it and threw it back into its hole. UNBELIEVABLE! Then they took us to a lagoon where they led us to a "caged" area where we swam with lemon sharks, black tipped sharks, rays and turtles. These guides took the ray's stinger and put it in their mouth! UNBELIEVABLE! They provided us with lunch, and then we had some down time on this remote island. That was an awesome tour. Hotel Maitai wants the visitors to have a lasting impression so they give you a pareau as a welcome gift, and send you off with shell leis. Despite the power outage, I had a wonderful time relaxing and snorkeling.

Room Tip: I was in 105, but I think 106 had a better view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank alkeni
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

not what I expected from a hotel in Bora Bora, staff is ok but the upkeep on the hotel is poor. Rooms feel outdated and fluorescent tubes do not make for a very romantic setting in your over water bungalow. Trash was left on the beach all week, while the general maintenance is just very poor, garden and beaches are not attended to, the dining room is covered by a big plastic tent, while I almost stepped in dog [--] that was left near the buffet from the many dogs roaming the resort. I would not return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple