“not what I expected” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Los Angeles
“not what I expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

not what I expected from a hotel in Bora Bora, staff is ok but the upkeep on the hotel is poor. Rooms feel outdated and fluorescent tubes do not make for a very romantic setting in your over water bungalow. Trash was left on the beach all week, while the general maintenance is just very poor, garden and beaches are not attended to, the dining room is covered by a big plastic tent, while I almost stepped in dog [--] that was left near the buffet from the many dogs roaming the resort. I would not return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank uwpro
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Knoxville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

One of our bucket list locations was French Polynesia...so this year we made plans to visit Bora Bora and Tahiti. We were sort of expecting Bora Bora to be some over developed, overly expensive tourist trap. What we got was the best vacation location we have ever been to...

We picked Hotel Maitai, mostly because of cost..and while the reviews were mixed, it seemed like a reasonable place. We paid for meals (as we had heard that eating is very expensive there).

A quick word about cost. We were quoted a total cost, that was exactly what they charged us...not one extra item. You fly in, you get on the free boat to the main island, they pick you up and you are there..you repeat when you leave. Not one hidden cost, no extra fees. Only extra charges we had were 4 very fancy and very well made drinks at the bar.

We reserved one of the over the water rooms, and got one (#108) that was one of the shallow water locations. Ok, that sort of sucked until we found out that there was an octopus living under us....and he provided endless fun watching him.

Was the place perfect? No...they never changed the menu.. so if you don't like perfectly cooked fresh fish every day, one could get bored really quick. Their breakfast precooked eggs, to be honest, sucked. But they had lots that was really, really good, and some things, like their deserts, were to die for. But if you are going to Bora Bora for the food, you are missing the whole point of going there.

Our room was nice, and yes it would take a while to cool down when you got there (assuming you wanted to run the air-conditioning).

And the wind blows towards the side of the island we were on, so they have stuff to clean up every day, and the water, while reasonably clear, is much clearer on the 5 star resorts (on the fringing reef, so the wind blows away from them).

But I cannot say enough good things about the people... amazing. Helpful, timely....overall, the nicest people I have ever met. Every hotel in the world could learn something from these people.

I found them honest to a fault, caring and each member of the staff took personal responsibility for whatever you asked for. It took a couple of days to get used to them rather bluntly answering any question you had. And they made a point of worrying about you. One day my ride to the dive shop was late (two minutes)...the desk insisted on calling to find out when they would be there, and I never said a word (she was 4 minutes late due to guests that were late getting to the pickup point).

Was it noisy during the day? Don't have a clue.. I was out diving every day, and my wife was out visiting the sites.

Diving, by the way, is some of the nicest I have ever seen...however, the standard diving is to go see over feed sharks and then see some rays.. but the fish life is some of the best in the world (I say this after over 5,000 dives in over 25 countries). Not the best coral, but more species of animals than I've ever seen.

We got yelled at one day for not locking our sliding door...as it turned out they were seriously worried about someone taking our camera gear....the lecture was deserved and very heart felt on their part.

The island is, to say the least, the perfect tropical location...perfect water, dramatic island, and not over run with people.

For the very first time, we cannot wait to go back there. My thanks for a wonderful time

Oh, and I would suggest you skip Tahiti... what an ugly money sucking island.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
22 Thank KnoxvillePufferfish
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel is beyond amazing! The ocean view was stunning! The staff, grounds, beach, food, location..everything was perfect. I loved feeding all the cats and dogs and fish. The beach was beautiful here and the coral was amazing! There were sooo many kinds of fish to see. Tropical ones, eels, stingrays, eagle rays and even an octopus or two......all within a few meters of the shore. I saw all these creatures without even putting my head underwater! We loved the restaurant right on the beach. So beautiful and relaxing. The beach was always so clean and it had a lot of equipment free to use. You can kayak to the coral gardens quite easily (for free) The location of the Maitai was perfect too. There were lots of place to eat and activities to do. The water at this hotel was incredible too look at! So Beautiful:) I also have to mention that our bed was the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. We stayed at the Maitai for a week and then stayed at Le Meridien for another week. Except for the rooms I did not see a difference between 3 and 5 stars. They were both amazing. Also for everyone who says Bora Bora in general is extremely expensive....come to Canada! It's not much different. Bora Bora is supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience but....we will be back and we will stay at the Maitai again for sure!

Room Tip: Room # 78 had a perfect view and the most comfortable bed ever!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Erika W
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed for 6 days in February. The Mai Tai is clean, and well located. But my room was adjacent to other rooms being renovated, and the noise (from a router) was intolerable. I asked to be moved and the front desk staff refused. They said, "We have to prepare for the high season", seemingly at my expense. It was a ridiculous refusal as the hotel was nearly empty. I kept asking other staff and finally on the 2nd to last day, they moved me to another room with an incredible view. That being said, I would never stay there again. And the food in their restaurant is mediocre. I am a Tahiti regular and their place needs "help".

Room Tip: Make sure there is no renovation. This can completely ruin your trip.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank blusurf333
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

This is the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in. We had an overwater bungalow and requested one in deep water. We had #108 and not only was the view spectacular, we had an amazing reef directly under our dock. There were so many fish in that reef (and an octopus). Many times we could see them through our glass floor while in the room or from our balcony. We took a chance going in January and were very lucky since it only rained the very last day as we were leaving. We were also so glad we did, since there was only one other bungalow occupied on our walkway! There are several restaurants within walking distance, although dinner at our hotel was probably the best of the restaurants we tried on the island. We had breakfast there everyday too and you can sit out along the water. All the staff was so nice and helpful with any questions or arrangements we needed. There are complimentary kayaks which you can use for a short trip to the Sofitel motu, which has an outrageously large reef behind it. We also booked a lagoon tour with Keishi tours and Pierrot was able to pick us up directly at the hotel dock. The front desk was also extremely helpful in making our confirmation call for that tour. Lastly, our flight was not leaving until night and since the hotel was not full, they let us keep our bungalow for an extended amount of time so we could snorkel and shower before having to leave! I would recommend the Maitai to anyone visiting the island.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple