“Spectacular destination!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Sydney, Australia
“Spectacular destination!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights here in an overwater bungalow 27. We found the overwater bungalow very comfortable particularly the spacious bathroom.I liked the viewing areas in the bathroom that looked down into the water below. I liked sitting at the small table on the balcony late afternoon just watching the water.The balconies were not as private as I thought. We had a wonderful view of the mountain just opposite although I think that I would have preferred a view to the ocean further out along the pontoon. We asked to look at the Beachfront and Garden Bungalows. Both were beautiful and next time I think that I would choose the beachfront bungalow to stay in ( more spacious and had a partial outdoor bathroom).
The food offered was very good although we were surprised that after paying full board option still had to pay a small supplement with some dinner menu items. The eating areas were very attractive and the bar area was fantastic ( spacious, beautifully decorated and extemely comfortable).It seemed to not get used much after dinner when we were there. I also thought that the foyer was beautiful and the small shop friendly and welcoming.
The staff were easily accessible regarding the booking of activities. We enjoyed shopping in the town. If you go- walk quite a way down the street in both directions so that you do not miss any shops. We did not do this and missed some! We went on the glass bottom boat tour with Arii and found him to be a great guide.We also got tatoos from the resident tatooist at the spa. The spa here is an incredibly tranquil and beautiful place! This resort is a good place for anyone who is not comfortable with deep water as the sparkling water is only waist deep.It was exciting to see rays swimming in the shallow waters each day! The staff were very helpful and replacement of room items such as tea and coffee were plentiful.
I did not want to leave Bora Bora and now love to check the web cam each day. I love it when resorts give you this option. I used it also before the holiday and to connect visually with friends at home when I was away.

Room Tip: Beachfront bungalows very spacious! Some have grass areas at back. Would be good if with children.P...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bluemountainscouple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We just returned from our honeymoon in French polynesia and spent part of our trip at the BB Pearl in an OWB. I did a lot of research and compared all of the resorts on Bora Bora before choosing the Pearl and I am so happy we chose this resort. After touring the island on a boat and checking out the other resorts, I felt confident that we chose the right resort that suited our preferences. My priority on this vacation was to experience the crystal clear blue waters of this island's famous lagoon. The Pearl was located on a private motu facing the mainland, and the water was about 4 feet deep, crystal clear, many different shades of blue, the water that I had been dreaming of :) This made my trip, this is the reason I went to Bora Bora to see the incredible lagoon, and I was mesmerized by its beauty. I have been to many tropical destinations, and the water in Bora Bora was the most amazing water I have ever seen in my life! Other than the water, my pros and cons of the resort are below:

PROS
-The staff at the resort were great. So friendly, always saying Ia orana, and offering to help. Hira at reception was particularly helpful. I never had to think about schedules, timings, excursions, they did all the bookings for us, confirmed with the companies the day before (even for tours not booked through the hoel), and sent us reminders, which allowed us to have more time to spend in the water!
-The BB pearl resort is on a private motu and you can't see any other resorts nearby, giving a great sensation of seclusion. When we toured the other side of the island (where the IC thalasso, 4Seasons, St Regis are located), we felt like we were in a sea of bungalows with OWB bungalows to your left, right, front and back. We were glad to have the privacy and the unobstructed views at the Pearl.
-The OWBs at the Pearl are beautiful, decorated with traditional polynesian decor. I loved it, and don’t know why or how you could complain about the decor. My husband really enjoyed the coffee table that opened up to the water. The bathroom was huge. The balcony was a good size with a separate seating area.
-The grounds were incredible. The beach was beautiful, with soft, white sand and waist-deep blue water for about 75 meters out from the motu. We ventured to the gym a few times and found the interior of the motu where the garden bungalows were located to be so lush with endless trees and flowering plants, it was beautiful! The spa was also quite spectacular, with the building surrounded by a freshwater pool filled with water lilies!!
-Snorkeling was the best we have ever experienced. It was tough getting my husband out of the water everyday! Even without going in the water, we saw beautifully coloured fish, rays and sharks from our OWB balcony.
-We bought an internet card and found that it worked well on our laptops in the OWBs. Make sure to sign out when you’re done or the clock will keep ticking.
-The gym was very good. 2 new treadmills, an elliptical, weights and mats.

CONS
-The boat shuttle met the bus into town twice a day, which was terrible. I understand we were there during low season, but it was pretty ridiculous having such limited times available to go into town. The boat runs every hour to the mainland, but the bus comes only 1-2 times to make the connection....doesn’t make a lot of sense. And it is too far to walk from the base into town. But for evening dinners, the restaurants picked us up at the pearl dock base and took us to the restaurant, so no need to worry about the bus.
-The food was pretty bland. The breakfast at the resort was ok... pastries, eggs, and the same sausages and potatoes everyday. Even at the restaurants in town, the food was so boring....a typical dish includes grilled meat/fish with plain rice. Vegetables are hard to find. But we didn’t go to Bora Bora for the cuisine!
-Nightlife is non-existent. We went to the BB Pearl bar a few times, at the most there were 2 other couples there. One night the bartender booted us out of the bar even though it was not supposed to close for another 2 hours. Sigh....but we didn’t go to Bora Bora to party or for the nightlife!
-We didn’t get anything from the hotel for our honeymoon :( I understand that probably 80% of the Pearl guests are honeymooners or celebrating something, but would it have been that hard for them to leave something simple like a congrats card with some fruit? It’s the thought that counts....

OTHER TIPS
-We bought bread, cheese, fruits and most importantly wine and beer at the grocery store in Vaitape. There are TWO stores, the famous Chin-Lees talked about on the forums, which is right across the street from where the Pearl bus drops you off. But there is another store called Super U, a few minutes walk north, and we liked this one a lot better (cleaner, more selection).
-We did the Ranuii full day tour after reading all the recommendations on Tripadvisor. Note: Raanui tours is not the tour offered by the hotel, we booked with Raanui before arriving in Bora Bora. We were a bit disappointed with the tour. The dad and the two sons took us to a couple of great snorkeling sites, we fed the sharks and rays and had lunch on a motu, but they barely spoke to us the whole time. This could have just been due to the language barrier. But I was expecting a bit more interaction, and to hear more about the polynesian history, culture etc.
-One of our favourite things we did in Bora Bora was renting a 15 HP boat from La Plage for the day. You can rent a 15 HP boat if you have a boating license, or if you don’t you can rent a 6 HP boat with no license. It was so much fun touring the island on our own and stopping wherever we wanted. The boat company gave us a map with some places to stop, which really helped.
-When trying to change the AC temp in the room, make sure you point the remote at the unit and wait until you hear the beep.
-Everything I read before our trip said NO tipping, including the Tahiti tourism website. But when we were in Bora Bora and had to sign off on a bill, there was always a tip section. So we ended up tipping whenever we saw the tip option on a bill.
-The equator sun is rough. I am dark-skinned and don’t usually have problems in the sun, but I did get a mild sunburn the first day. My caucasian husband had a much worse burn which lasted most of our trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Gammay
Northern
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Pros: good view of the island. Nice room overwater. Really nice coral nursery and tons of fish.

Cons: price. beachfront bungalow was half inside half outside with bathroom and shower outside, mosquitoes. On the biggest MOTU (island) on bora bora. Wish we were on a smaller island that had lagoon (inside) and ocean (outside) access.

If I were to go back I would not stay here for the location alone. I guess it is better than staying on the big island. Go to the Four Seasons or St. Regis. They own very small islands, so you can see the ocean and the lagoon. Truly magical looking, compared to this hotel.

Overall, worth 79000 francs / night? No. $869 is a lot of money for a average hotel.

And DON'T GET THE POLYNESIAN BUFFET. Its 8300 Francs / person ($91). So not worth it. I could make a better $20 buffet from Walmart.

No snorkeling at night. SHARKS!!!!

Room Tip: Go overwater. It's the only way to go, spend the money, serioiusly, its soooooooo worth it. Ab...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank JS_CA_12
São Paulo - Brasil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

be in a place so special and wonderful each morning I was contemplating the beauties of Bora Bora and this hotel offered me. a staff always happy, excited to work and let the guests at ease. acomchegantes the bungalows are well equipped and harmonious, and diverse breakfast and dinner well served. good for family, alone

Room Tip: bungalows located well, I stayed in the bungalow garden where nature was my back, quiet and very wel...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank PauloBdosSantos
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed for 5 nights on our honeymoon after 4 nights at the moorea pearl. This resort is amazing. From the time you get off the boat to the time you leave it is unbelievable. We arrived at around 11am and were promptly greeted and given refreshments. after filling our our paperwork, we were given a quick tour of the grounds and showed our amazing overwater bungalow. The room itself was very spacious, the views were stunning. we ate breakfast everyday because it was included and it was very good. we didnt eat any meals in the restaurant for dinner, but we ordered room service once, which was good. we ate a small lunch most days, and it was very good! the spa was fantastic, very nice and relaxing. they offered a free 30 minutes at the spa with anything you book before noon, which we took advantage and was well worth it!!! this is a great resort, we had an amazing time and highly recommend it. the only things that we had an issue with was the snorkel gear they let you borrow was hit or miss. sometimes you would get good stuff that wouldnt leak and others that worked flawlessly. we are going to write a full trip review in the forum, so see that for everything else.

Room Tip: Overwater bungalow is a must!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple