“Trapped in Paradise...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
San Francisco, Ca
“Trapped in Paradise...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed here on the last leg of our month long honeymoon. The intention was to save the best for last. I really wanted to love this place but unfortunately, the experience was pretty awful for several reasons.

1. Several items missing from our room including jewelry and money. We’re in Bora Bora so naturally, we spent a lot of time snorkeling. Before jumping in the water, we took off some jewelry and took money out of our pockets. We left at noon and by the time we returned at 4:00 PM, the items were gone. Housekeeping cleaned our room while we were out. We reported this to management and they did little to remedy the situation. They said they would “ask the housekeeper if they’d seen it”. We never heard back and it’s been two weeks. What upsets me even MORE as I write this review is that in the past 3 months, SEVERAL other guests have ALSO mentioned on Tripadvisor that items have been missing from their room and I’m only counting folks who decided to write a review on Tripadvisor. Makes me wonder how many other guests have had items stolen from their room that we don’t know about!

2. Understaffed. There was a corporate group of about 50-80 people who arrived during the middle of our stay. After they arrived, it became painfully obvious that the hotel was WAY understaffed. Oftentimes, we would wait 40 minutes after we were seated before our drinks would arrive. Then another 30 minutes for each course of our meal and it made our dinners a 2 hour ordeal. The excursions (free or paid) through the hotel were always booked and full. They ran out of snorkel equipment and fins for guests because the “large group” took them all for their trip.
**At this point, I really felt the true meaning of being “trapped in paradise”. We couldn’t get OFF the Hilton island because the tours we wanted to do were fully booked. We couldn’t snorkel AT the property because they’ve loan them all out to the “large group”. There was nothing to do!

3. Weather was consistently crappy! We had 4 straight days of rain and clouds where we didn’t see the blue sky AT ALL!!! I’ve been to other tropical beach destinations multiple times (Hawaii and the Carribean over 15x total) and I have never experienced such consistent crappy weather! Usually, it would rain for 30 mins and within the hour, the rain clouds would pass and you’d see some sun. Here, we had NOTHING for 4 straight days and I didn’t need an ounce of sun block. Looking out of our overwater bungalow was like looking out of the San Francisco Bay. Waters were choppy and it was a dark blue/gray-ish color most days.

4. Poor location-choppy waters. Bora Bora is made up of one big island and a string of small islands that surround it. Most hotels are located on a separate small island near the bigger/main island and the hotels are situated either in towards the main island or out facing the ocean. I think because the Hilton is facing OUT towards the ocean, the water was very choppy and not the calm and still waters you image they have in Bora Bora. Because it was so choppy, I felt the entire bungalow swaying with the water and if I tried to read in bed, I would oftentimes get motion sick.

5. Food and Beverage – lack of options & prices. I realize that everyone has talked about paying $8 a water at the hotel. What I didn’t realize was that once at the Hilton Bora Bora, you are trapped on the Hilton island and you have no other OPTION but to buy your water from the Hilton. SO, you either fork out your $8/water, $20/pina colada and $25/club sandwich for lunch OR take a $15 shuttle to the Bora Bora main island to pay slightly less. It was mostly rainy during our stay so we stayed at the hotel for our meals. The Tamure Grill Restaurant is the only option for breakfast AND lunch on the Hilton island. By the 3rd day, you get pretty sick of the same menu for breakfast and lunch everyday.

When it WAS sunny, the water WAS very beautiful and when the hotel DID have enough snorkel gear, the marine life was amazing. I really wish I could have more nice things to say but this trip was not at all what I imaged. Bora Bora is a beautiful place, but I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank iloveTA
, Directeur général at Conrad Bora Bora Nui, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

I am really dispointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Hilton Bora Bora Nui, it is clear that we have not met your expectations at all.

It is always with great interest that we take the time to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to improve the standards you are providing.

I understand your frustration and remain available for further discussion,
You could easily reach me at gm@hilton-borabora.pf

Best Regards,

General manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Just returned from my honeymoon at the Bora Bora Hilton resort. Would like to state the positive points first; the accommodation; being the over-water villas are well appointed; large,clean and modern amenities. The water underneath your villa is breathtakingly beautiful! Clear, colourful, warm and hosts an array of amazing marine life! Not an avid snorkeller/diver myself; you couldn't keep me out of there once I realised what was just beneath our balcony! My husband who is a diver said it was some of the best he has seen.
The spa; perched on the top of the mountain overlooking the resort and out onto the water; what a lovely view! We enjoyed a facial, massage and pedicure there. The service itself could not be faulted, yes the price was a bit OTT but you're only on honeymoon once I figure.
The activities; I highly recommend the Ray and Shark feeding tour. It was the highlight of our trip and we loved it so much we did it twice! You are taken by a local out to his regular feeding sites and within minutes of anchoring - sharks and rays appear from no where. What starts off somewhat intimidating and scary soon turns into a calming almost natural experience. The guide was educated and funny and the tour also included a trip around the islands and some history behind the various hotels.
Now for the negative: By no means is the Hilton Bora Bora 5 St*r. Aside from the villas I think they have a cheek promoting themself as 5 star. In short the food, service and upkeep of the resort is not at 5 star standard.
In detail; the beach loungers are wooded and corroding from the sea. I went to move a beach lounger and it literally broke! The same thing happened with my husbands when he was moving the incline of the chairs back! This is simply not good enough when guests are spending over $1000usd per night. The lounge chair cushions had mould on some of them and when you went to sit down there was no beach/pool attendants that would come and assist you with moving the chair,placing a towel over it etc. This may sound menial, however, given we had just been in Bali at a 5/6 star resort we had become accustomed to quality customer service whereby the pool attendant would ensure you were set up with towels and moving the lounge chair if need be. When you went to sit down at the Hilton you were only allowed one towel and you got your "towel token" taken off you so you had to ensure you returned it so you could get another the next day. It almost felt like a hostel/backpacker process! Surely their staff are capable of collecting the used towels at the end of the day and it wouldn't hurt if a waiter came past every now and then to take your food/drink order! At first myself and husband would walk up to the bar to order our drinks and food (it wasn't busy at all so its not as if they didn't have time to walk down to us and see if we needed anything every once and a while!) however we soon realised that there was no attention given to the guests laying on the beach area so we literally filled up a bag with ice and alcohol everyday and then took it down to the beach to drink, not only did this solve the frustration of having to get up and walk to the bar every 30mins but also saved us some money!
One afternoon, my husband and I ordered a salad and pizza. Quite possibly one of the worse meal I have Ever had! The salad was sat in a bowl of oil, literally marinating in it! The pizza was dripping oil. Both meals looked nice at first glance but I returned it and told them I was not paying for it.The buffet breaky staff were lovely but the breakfast itself was shocking for a 5star resort! Once they started to run out of bagels or whatever it was; it didn't get replenished so on the few mornings I arrived a bit later; I would have to make do with the "leftovers". The presentation of food was nothing fancy; meats and cheeses laid out with little (harmless) bugs crawling over it. There were a few pastries, nice juices, fruit that looked like can fruit and a few stations of hot food including a chef who prepared eggs whatever way you wanted. Given the breakfast was included in our meal plan and we liked to stay at the resort and tan most of the morning; we had the breakfast daily but didn't utilise our dinner meal option because we found the mainland food much nicer and it was also an excuse for a trip out. We decided to go to the mainland yacht club and Bloody Marys after we went to the UPA UPA restaurant in the Hilton; the entree was sashimi which was delicious! However, it became apparent that the food that the Hilton cooked was the food that was horrible! We got a main of fish and rice - tasteless and overcooked. The next night we decided to give the hotel another shot and went to the Hilton French restaurant - the steak which we paid extra for on top of our meal plan was meant to be raw, however, it came out well-done. The desert could not be faulted, presented well and the chocolate cake was amazing. However, given both restaurant main meals were not good quality I would recommend getting the ferry across to the mainland and trying out the restaurants I viewed on Tripadvsior.
Another note; check your bill. Upon check-out the Hilton had overcharged me for an extra nights accommodation. They also add on a "non compulsory" environmental charge. I am all for donating when it is conscious but without being advised of this and especially when I think you pay enough to stay at the Hilton Bora Bora - I found it somewhat amusing and cheeky that they take it for granted you will partake in their voluntary programme.
All in all, we stayed 9 nights and I definitely think this is too long at the Hilton Bora Bora, It lacks atmosphere and I understand the majority of people go for their honeymoon and peace and quiet. Though I definitely think they could make lot more business if they encouraged an atmosphere and perhaps promoted certain themed nights etc. For instance there is no pool bar, and the 2 alcohol bars at the main restaurants were always dead. No waiters would come over to you when you were basking in the sun and ask if you needed anything- that is bad business and had they shown us this attention the Hilton would have made a lot more money off us as I am always up for a cocktail on holiday! By accident we found out a band was playing in one of the restaurants, they were lovely to listen to yet there was no real effort made at the hotel to let guests know they were going to be on and they weren't regulars. Perhaps the Hilton could put together a schedule of themed nights,bands, etc and leave it on guests beds the day before so everyone was aware?? Most guests kept to themselves which is fine but had they have a communal FUN bar with music and some atmosphere the place could appeal to those other guests that don't intend on looking into their partners eyes all holiday and romancing but those guests who actually enjoy good company, some lively entertainment and customer service that includes genuine interest in their customers needs/wants.

Room Tip: over water villa is a must
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank helenefromoz
Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments in regards to your experience at the Hilton Bora Bora Nui,
I am sorry to hear that we have not fully met your expectations and have shared your feed-back within the team.
It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to improve the standards we are proposing.

We have shared your disapointment in terms of Food & Beverage quality and ambiance and will make sure to keep on improving the experience provided,

Thank you for your kind note on our Spa team, this was really appreciated,

Warm Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Recently travelled to Bora Bora with my daughter for a once in a lifetime trip and wasn't disappointed.

Stayed in Over Water Bungalow 124 which I believe was one of the deluxe versions. The appointments were excellent and extremely comfortable. Housekeeping maintained a fantastic standard for the duration of our stay. The water surrounding this bungalow is about 7 metres and is as clear as if you were standing in 1 metre deep water. An abundance of fish kept us entertained whilst snorkelling and the ability to borrow water craft was a great oppourtunity to see the rest of the resort via water. Gave us a chance to compare the different bungalow locations as they are all very different from a swimming point of view. For us OWB 124 was th eperfect location as it was an easy 5 minute walk to all the facilities whilst still enjoying the deeper water.

The staff in Reception from the minute we arrived were fantastic and could not do enough to assist us. The F & B staff were attentive although the dining side of the holiday did deteriorate some what with the arrival of a large group on our 4th day. Unfortunately the half of the restaurant was barricaded off for this group and all cushions removed from the timber chairs. The service also suffered as a result. Just a couple of small things but my theory is if you can;t service all your guests to the same consistent standard throughout their stay don't take on the bigger groups!! And I won't even mention the fact that out of a selection of 3 Sauvignon Blanc's on the Wine List they had run out of all 3 for 4 out of the 6 days of our stay. I understand that deliveries can be difficult in a remote location but this sort of oversight is almost inexcusable. Did give me an excuse to drink cocktails though!!!

As everyone is aware prices are excessive in this part of the world, so a food package is essential if you have a budget. We had the "Full Board" option which provided us with breakfast, lunch and dinner and the ability to eat at two of the three resort restaurants without having to incur a supplement. We found that there was ample choice and even though I have a special dietary requirement was never bored with what was available.

This Resort is obviously aimed at Honeymoon couples and although we were a mother/daughter combination we were treated no differently to anyone else and if anything the staff were possibly a bit more relaxed with us. This was a good thing as we got to have many laughs with them and really enjoyed our experience.

We will return next time for a family holiday with my husband and other daughter. It really is an ideal location where you need to embrace "island time" and enjoy the perfect water conditions and beautiful people.

Room Tip: Don't bother with bottled water, the tap water is perfectly okay. Take plenty of sunscreen, the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ann V
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing such great comments about your stay at the Hilton Bora Bora. We are delighted to read your kind note about our reception staff and are happy to see that you are thinking about coming back.

I would like to apologize for any unconvenience experienced with the group, I understand it can affect the usual tranquility of the resort

Thank you again and we look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Highland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Very beautiful resort.The grounds and view were amazing. The owb are a must.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing such great comments about your stay at the Hilton Bora Bora. We are delighted to read that you have found your Overwater bunaglow to be what you were expecting,

Thank you again and we look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Bora Bora Nui for the 2nd part of our honeymoon for 6 nights in September, after spending the first 5 nights at the Vahine Island Private Island Resort and Spa. If you read my review of the latter, you'll understand why I'm glad we did it in that order. Vahine island was great, but not the decadent luxurious resort u think of when u think of a honeymoon in French Polynesia. After feeling like castaways from Gilligans island and having a wonderfully secluded time on Vahine, we were ready to be pampered at the Hilton, & we were. The service was impeccable....extraordinarily impeccable....after checking in, every front staff personnel knew our names and greeted us with a smile. I had some questions about the food at the resort with regards to some dietary restrictions I have, and the food and beverage manager (Sebastien) came looking for me and found ME on the resort during breakfast and was unbelievably accommodating. I have never received service like this anywhere, we really were made to feel special. I believe we stayed in a "deluxe overwater bungalow", and it was absolutely gorgeous. They were massive inside, the bathroom luxurious but true to the Polynesian theme, and full of island flavour. We chose the Hilton over the four seasons and St Regis for the view. We wanted to look out over the lagoon and pacific from our bungalow patio, and everyday we would do just that, & it was just mesmerizing. The patios were very private, & although the resort was a large one, it was always quiet, serene, and you would never see too many people at any given time except breakfast in the restaurant. The resort itself is set upon a mountainside, so just walking around the resort gave you wondeful views from various heights and vantage points. It's a large resort, but you can call for a golf cart shuttle from anywhere on the resort at any time. The a la carte restaurant was fabulous, and breakfast had a pretty extensive spread of food which was pretty good as well. We rented a car on the main island one day and drove around the whole thing in about 1.5 hours. Really not much to do there but we did drive by the other resorts. While the rooms seem more luxurious at St Regis and the Four Seasons, and the views of Mt Otemanu seem spectacular, i really think the Hilton probable is the best overall resort....but that's me and my preference. It's almost 1 year later and I still look at our pictures and get goosebumps thinking about how beautiful and enchanting Bora Bora was. It is truly heaven on earth, and I can't imagine a more beautiful and breathtaking place on this earth. Honestly I can't believe a place like that even exists on this planet. I would like to also mention that we books our honeymoon through Richard Bondurant at Custom Tahiti Travel. I know there are a lot of "fake" reviews on here but honestly he was unbelievably patient with me and extremely informative, and truly helped make this honeymoon customized exactly the way I had hoped for. I was very anal when it came to booking and both he and the custom Tahiti travel website gave me so much info. I had such a hard time deciding on which resorts and islands and based on my preferences, Richard really helped make our dream honeymoon come true. He has visited every one of the resorts and will give u specific and intimate details about each resort that other agencies i spoke with simply didn't, and I didn't really find much difference in prices between them. Also, if you'll notice, custom Tahiti travel doesn't spam Trip Advisor or any other sites I visited with fake reviews, so Trip Advisor Moderators, please don't delete this, because it is an honest review from an actual traveler. If anyone has any questions message me and I'll be more than happy to answer you the best I can. I wish I could go there every year, Bora Bora and her islanda are truly a magical and heavenly place, I will certainly go again God willing, but until then I'll be waiting for the day.....

• Stayed September 2011