All reviewsblue lagoon resortwreck divingdive shophot waterpalm treesgreat divingfishthird world countrynon diverssan franciscoremember wheresunset bardive staffvaried menusuperior roomsurface intervallarge number
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We stayed in room on the second floor for $150 a day after a week aboard the Odessey. We chose the Liveaboard even though it was slightly more expensive than the Blue Lagoon and after staying here a day, we were so glad we had. The buildings are plywood and several of the balcony flooring boards had a significant give to them that called into question the safety of the building. There is wifi, but only in the lobby and it's very slow. The generators turn over 4 times a day and the next one desn't come on very fast., so you're ut for about 5 minutes during the transfer. The rooms were dated (that's a kind description) and felt very old and un-maintained. You don't have much choice for a land based hotel in Chuuk and I think this is the best but that's not saying much. The dive facilities were in a small building down on the wharf in a ramshackle facility. Overall this place is pretty much a dump.

The owners appear to have not updated the place since it was built - a long time ago.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We visited Blue Lagoon in August, I am a diver, my boyfriend is not. I was a little worried about taking him to such a secluded location with limited non-diving things to do but... he had a wonderful time and cannot wait to go back (that makes two of us).

I had read a lot about BL online and had spoken with a friend who stayed at the resort. I expected a good place to eat, sleep and have a few drinks at night. I was beyond pleasantly surprised when we arrived, the peninsula being surrounded by crystal clear waters, palm trees everywhere, hammocks for lounging, kayaks for guest use, and above all, friendly and helpful staff. We met Sam my dive master early and he even helped bring our luggage to our room the next day (United had lost it on the way). Renee, Felix, and Advin (and others!) were so helpful at the office even opening up the store late at night when we arrived with no luggage for toiletries.

We had paid for a premium room and were not disappointed. The room itself was large and with 2 beds we had a place to put our bags. The AC worked (our room was freezing at times) and the bathroom was supplied with daily drinking water, soap and lotion. We didn't have hot water as there was a pipe leak when we were there but it was so hot it didn't matter (it didn't even occur to us until day 3 that maybe we were supposed to have hot water and asked). The BEST part of our room was the view. We were on the second floor of the rooms looking to the south. The ocean was 50 feet away, with grass and palm trees in between. I woke every morning to watch the sunrise from our balcony, it was absolutely gorgeous.

The restaurant menu was much bigger than I had anticipated and prices were very reasonable. The food was very good and there was plenty of it. The restaurant staff were so friendly and nice (special shout out to Brenda our bartender). I have a soft heart for animals and every day ordered enough food to feed the kitties (and dogs when they came) after each meal. The staff had no issue with this and even gave me some extra food a couple of times to give to them.

The diving was amazing, I'm not an avid diver but have dove in some amazing places all over the world. This was by far the best diving I have done. The beautiful, clear, and warm water was perfect and really the only type of diving I truly enjoy doing. The wrecks were fantastic, and Sam, my dive master, was always helpful and attentive (and had a great sense of humor). Our boat capitan (Rambo) was helpful and always cool, calm and collected. And the office staff was also very attentive when we had a lot of questions and requested more info in the beginning. If you are coming to BL then you probably already know about the diving so I will move on from more details.

Our only bad experience with Blue Lagoon came on about our 5th night when we were sitting on our balcony for happy hour having some cocktails and enjoying the view. We kept hearing an extremely loud noise that was coming from toward the dive shop. My boyfriend realized it was a pig in distress. After walking down to find out what was going on we discovered that a pig had been slaughtered on the property, within about 100 feet from our room. I am an animal lover and was extremely distraught by this happening, on the property, and having to hear and see it. While this act may not bother many of the guests (I would assume mostly male) it did bother both of us tremendously. Anyone with strong views about how animals should be treated and/or beliefs about not wanting to be a part of or witness to this act would have been upset as well. I spoke that evening with the front desk and also the next day with Advin, the GM, who was already aware of the situation. Advin assured me this practice would not continue at the resort and I let him know that I would be including this in my review so that other people who visit would be aware this will no longer be occurring at the resort.

Despite this one experience, everything else was beyond our expectations hence the 5 star rating. The property grounds, staff, accommodations, views, amenities, food, value and of course the diving, make this resort a gem of Chuuk. We are already working on planning our next trip to Blue Lagoon (hopefully in 2018)?!

Room Tip: The rooms in the string facing south are much closer to the ocean and beautiful
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alyssas
Reviewed 14 September 2017

Well it’s been 3 years since I stayed at Blue Lagoon Resort, what have I noticed that’s changed? The Good: The drive from the airport has significantly improved with the rebuilding of the main road. The ladies in the restaurant are still the happy bunch of girls I met last time, friendly and efficient. The Same: No changes to the rooms, they are spacious and clean. Housekeeping are still doing a great job and there is a large container of drinking water replenished everyday. The Bad: Now these are my personal views. The internet reception has gotten worse. Trying to share your experiences with the world is extremely frustrating. If you have a business and need stay connected for money movements of any kind of correspondence the forget it. There are no TV sets in the room so you either have to arrange for one or bring your own movies. The other item is they run out of certain brands of beer, so you have to wait for the next day for them to replenish the stocks. I know I know it is an isolated part of the world but if they can send images from the edge of the universe back to Earth then maybe invest some money in technology.
My recommendation is get there, stay in the Blue Lagoon Resort and dive those wrecks, they won’t last forever.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank lee747
Reviewed 13 September 2017

This trip I bought 23 other divers with me to the Blue Lagoon for a week of diving and relaxing in paradise.
Yet again, the staff really make this place a wonderful location to stay.
Nothing is too much effort, despite being a long way from 'first world' amenities and ease.
I would like to make a massive shout out to a few in particular.

Felix, who not only organised a fantastic birthday cake for one of my divers' birthday - big enough for 24 hungry divers, but also Cathryn as well, who between them - (amongst other assistance all through the week, from organising extra tours and currency conversion) flew into action at the very last hour when one of our number fell ill and needed immediate assistance. They had him to the hospital and back on his feet, even helping to squeeze him onto the flight after check-in had pretty much closed.

Even the small things such as a group of the crew seeing us off at the airport. Not one or two, but about 6 or 7 of them all waving and smiling and saying: until next time.

A great location can be nothing with bad staff.
A poor location can be excellent with the right staff.
This place is epic as it has the best of both.

The rooms are rustic, but air-conditioned and spacious with your own ensuite. This is not a 5 star resort with all mod-cons - nor should the expectations be as such, but it is very comfortable after a great day diving.

Will be back in 2019.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have an ocean view, although the quieter rooms are located back from the waters edge.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2017

It's not a luxurious beach resort at all. But it's a solid base for the divers who explore the ship wrecks inside the lagoon. Rooms are spacious and functional, with bathroom, toilets, refrigerator and air-conditioner. All works just fine. A balcony with squeaky flooring provides a good space for hanging washed clothes. No TV set and no WiFi in the room. Thus you have to go to the hotel reception area to get connected to a very slow network.
A great thing about this hotel is no kids, no fancy women and no brand shopping. Just diving. Heavy-duty wreck diving only. That's why I like this place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor facing the ocean
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family