All reviews heated pool log cabin tongariro crossing swiss chalet top floor powder keg ski season new zealand mini bar highly recommend staying here hotel restaurant wonderful atmosphere main restaurant snow centre wings beautiful room both nights
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Perfect location right on the road up to the skiing at Turoa. We grabbed a free shuttle from 50 m down the road. Ski hire facilities on site were efficient and friendly, with a place to store your stuff overnight if you're a guest. Hotel staff were pleasant and efficient. Room spacious, cosy and comfortable. Main restaurant, the Matterhorn, was pleasant with good food and warm atmosphere. Brasserie also had good food in amongst bar area and they managed great service even when really busy. Hot pool great for a dip after skiing, complete with button for bar service! All pretty faultless and to sum up sure there are cheaper places but you'd be hard pushed to find a better one.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

This triple threat establishment absolutely kills it in all areas. The hotel, bar and restaurant all provide a charming experience with super lovely staff, quaint and timeless decor and generously portioned comfort food.

I was so overwhelmed with joy I almost cried when I found out there was a massive spa pool with a intercom through to the bar. After thrashing it down the slops all day I can't think of anything more appropriate than to sip on a mulled wine or cold beer in a hot pool!

Can't image ever staying anywhere else in Kune. Much love to the owners and team for an amazing experience!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2017

First time to the snow for my Thai wife weather was not the best but a good time was had by both of us. Hotel was enjoyable warm and comfortable.Meals and staff very good and helpful Tavern walking distance down road also serves good meals.
Instructors up the ski field soon had Rose skiing and enjoying the beginners slope

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2017

I've just stayed for 4 nights with my son, hoping to get snowboarding on the mountain. Whilst the weather let us down, the hotel certainly did not - it's a great place to stay for a snow break and we were grateful to be there given that we didn't get to spend much time snowboarding.

The hotel has the best location in Ohakune - right at the bottom of the (sealed) mountain road, so only an easy 20 minute drive to the ski field car park.

Our room, a standard twin, was great - very spacious and good facilities. The bath was probably the biggest I've ever seen and very welcome after a day out in the cold.

The rest of the faciliities are equally good and the staff and service were superb. It is a little on the pricey side, but in my opinion well worth the small premium you'll pay over other local places that don't offer anything like the same experience.

Highly recommended, I'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

I might just be fussy, but I was very underwhelmed, especially after reading all the great reviews.

As someone who lives in NZ, I don't often stay at hotels within the country but I do travel abroad a lot so my only comparison really comes from the hospitality of other countries. Out of all the staff we encountered, the only one we found even remotely friendly was Annie (I really hope that's her name) who was there when we arrived, but wasn't the person who checked us in because she was busy offering great service to the people who were checking in before us. Instead we had the duty manager from the Powderkeg fumble his way around trying to check us in, which was very kind of him to do so that we didn't have to wait for Annie to return, but still not very efficient and also not very professional. However every time through our 3 night stay that we returned to reception to ask something, the staff there were not the most welcoming, not at all friendly and really seemed to take no interest in us at all. Eventually we just stopped bothering.

As far as the room itself, it was average. Of course the hotel itself is wonderful in it's aesthetic, it really is quite cosy and at face value does look like it's come out of a fairy tale, but practicality wise, particularly for the cost, it was very very average. A bed, a minibar and a bathroom. A few gripes that we had were - what kind of hotel provides robes, but no slippers? My boyfriend and I both had only brought hiking boots with us on our trip... it's not exactly ideal to be having to wear hiking boots to and from the pool (speaking of which, we did actually enjoy the pool). Also, our TV came with no remote, but after all the "wonderful" help we received from reception we had no intention of going back to ask. And this might just be me being an entitled little princess but - why is free Wi-Fi limited to 2GB per day. For the price of the hotel I really would expect unlimited, I have stayed at many other places that come with a lower price tag and unlimited free Wi-Fi. Although my gripe with the Wi-Fi would not be relevant had we been able to get our TV to work and didn't have to resort to streaming our evening entertainment from Netflix.

The hotel did serve its purpose, I mean at the end of the day it provided a warm place to sleep, but I really did expect a lot more, especially after reading the reviews.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
management p, Owner at Powderhorn Chateau Mount Ruapehu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience during your stay with us here at the Powderhorn in Ohakune. Our service is normally second to none and I am shocked to hear that the staff did not live up to your or my expectations.

Could you please send us an email to info@powderhorn.co.nz detailing issues with your stay and our service? This would be very helpful for staff training and to help us give better service in future.