Tavan Ecologic Homestay(Sapa)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$ 25
US$ 92
US$ 77
Priceline
Sapa Heavenly Homestay(Sapa)(Great Value!)
US$ 14
US$ 85
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$ 17
Hotels.com
Green Valley Hotel(Sapa)(Great Value!)
US$ 9
US$ 7
US$ 27
US$ 26
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 August 2015

I had an awful experience at this hotel/hostel. As the title states, the male owner of the hostel yelled at me, threatened to punch me, and pushed a female guest who was trying to film the incident. The property was not very clean, and is definitely shoddily constructed, leading to an incident where a sink would break on me and the owner would demand I pay him for it. The owner was possibly drunk at the time and was completely unreasonable, even after I offered to pay for half. He would not let myself or my our group leave even after our tour company settled the matter with him, leading to a physical altercation. I would highly advise not to come here.

To provide context, I was with a tour company (Ethnic Travel) from Hanoi visiting Sapa. The tour company uses Sapa Hostel as a place for their folks to shower between the overnight train to/from Sapa and their Sapa trekking tours. In using the facilities to wash-up after our trek, the bathroom sink fell from the wall and shattered on the ground. I did not do anything out of the ordinary to the sink, and used it in the same manner as many other hostel sinks throughout my 6.5 weeks of travel. After notifying the hotel staff, myself and the hotel staff found that the sink was not mounted properly as only 2 of 4 screws were mounted to hold the sink to the wall, which was the possible cause of the sink's collapse. The sink was wobbly or not working properly for other guests as well.

The male owner did not take to this incident reasonably and immediately started yelling at me to pay for the sink. In fact, he demanded that I travel with the handyman to the store and buy the sink myself, and bring it back with the handyman. I refused to pay the entire cost, especially since the sink was not mounted properly and other guests had issues with the sink as well. I offered to pay for half. The owner did not accept this and continued to yell at me, outside, in the courtyard, in front of other guests.

His yelling at me continued for maybe 20 minutes before our tour company worked it out with the other hotel staff (I think the female owner of the hostel), at which point our tour company said we could get on the bus and leave. The tour company arranged to pay for the broken sink themselves. However, the male owner was not happy with this arrangement and refused to let us get on the bus. As we were boarding the bus, the male owner grabbed myself and my backpack, pulling myself away from the bus and preventing me to board. At this point, while holding me from behind, he balled his hand into a fist and cocked his arm back in a manner threatening to punch me. Other guests from our tour then got involved to get him off of me, and a female guest tried to start recording the incident on her phone, at which point he pushed her away.

Myself and the owner were eventually able to separate. Our tour group eventually managed to board our bus, however we were unable to leave the area as the owner stood in the path of our bus's way out. Even though our tour company had already offered to pay for the collapsed sink in full, after speaking with representatives from our tour company it was determined that the male owner would not let us leave until he received the money specifically from me, and only me. Therefore it was decided that the tour company would give me the money to physically hand to him, and that would placate him enough for us to leave.

I left the bus with money in hand to give to the hotel staff. As I gave it to the female hotel owner, the male owner demanded I place it on a specific spot on a specific desk inside the facility. As I was doing this he also took out his camera to record me giving the money, and the entire time said phrases to me like "I know who you are", and "see, you know you did wrong". Even after I handed over the money, the male owner followed me back to the bus and continued taunting and belittling me, right up to us closing the door and driving away.

Our experience with Sapa Hostel was terrible, exhausting, and humiliating. The owner yelled at, taunted, and attacked myself and other guests during our stay. Such action should be completely unacceptable, especially in the hospitality industry. All of this occurred in the front entrance/courtyard of the hostel, as other guests watched and witnessed. One of the families on our tour group had a young girl who witnessed the entire event--she was distraught and upset for the entirety of our bus ride back. This hostel does not care about their guests and those who come onto their property. I would definitely avoid.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank nicke5012
Reviewed 12 August 2015

The hostel is location right in the center of the town but separate area like a private house and only few steps from the church. Our room 202 was clean and very good view. Mr Joseph (Mr Oai - family name) and his family was very friendly and helpful us during time stay here. Thank you very much!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bull D
Reviewed 14 April 2015 via mobile

It was not a pleasant stay in sapa hostel. The rooms were dirty, the beds were hard and there was almost no water pressure. The biggest problem however, was the noise of the construction site next door.

There are plenty of cheap hotels in sapa, you better look for something else.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bart B
Reviewed 14 April 2015 via mobile

The only positive point i can think of is the friendly staff. Hostel is dated, dirty and very noisy.
They are building next to the hotel, starting at 6 am. Also there is a rooster making a lot of noise from 6 am. As there is only a door with gases, you hear everything very loud.
Shower is cold after 3 minutes, zero water pressure. Dirty sheets with black hairs on it.
Do youreself a favor, pay a couple of dollars more for something better!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Liekeanne
Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

Okay so I know this a budget hostel but the photos are completely misleading and I've stayed in plenty of budget hostels that manage to do it better.

The dorms were dirty, shabby, mouldy and damp. I wasn't given any breakfast despite it being included in the price.

The owners were nice, however at night there was ALOT of noise - shouting and crying from their family which made it impossible to sleep.

I'm afraid I only stayed the one night and I wouldn't go back...

Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo