“You won't want to leave the Chillhouse”

The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats
Ranked #2 of 113 Canggu B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“You won't want to leave the Chillhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I booked The Chillhouse for 5 nights with the surf star package. My trip was short but I had an amazing time surfing and meeting new people.

The staff were incredibly helpful and made me feel like it was my second home. It was lovely that all the staff knew you by your name and at dinner time shared laughs, stories and encourages you in your surfing.

The surf guides were all very encouraging and I felt extremely safe out in the water with them. Thank you to the two guides who took me out - Agus and Yus - you made me feel more confident on a surfboard.

This is like no other place I have stayed at. I loved my time there so much that I have extended my Holiday in August to come back to the Chillhouse!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Hi Alicia!
Thanks for your lines, I am so happy that we could make your stay more than superdupergreat and i wish you that time goes by quick until August and you'll hop on the plane back to Bali and The Chillhouse! I'll make sure Yus or Agus will be with you in the water again and make you ride the waves you are dreaming of!
Alex
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Fremantle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at the Chillhouse with two girlfriends for a week. We did the surf star package, which included five lessons in the surf. It was absolutely life changing. Learning to surf is so much fun! The first few days can be painful, as are the early mornings, but you feel so energised, motivated and fit by the end of the week - when I got home I went out looking for a longboard so I can keep surfing here! The surf coaches are fantastic, and the videocoaching and photos were great incentives to really give it a go.

The Chillhouse itself is tropical and colourful, but not like a sterile resort. We loved making friends at the communal dinners, helping ourselves to buffet breakfasts and the delicious seafood BBQ on Friday. Nunung, the waiter, is a gem! The massages were lovely, as was the pool to unwind any knots. Absolutely loved it, and the staff stay in touch after you leave. It's as if they left an imprint in our lives, but they also really appreciate their guests.

Room Tip: The Treehouse is stunning, spread across three levels with the best view across the Chillhouse.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Hi Shannon!
Thanks so much for your review, I am so happy that we could not only make your vacation here n Bali with us at The Chillhouse memorable, but that we left an imprint in your cells, resulting in this email, your first own surfboard, and a changed life! You rock Shannon, we love you!
cape town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My stay at The Chillhouse is one of the best holidays I've ever had. The staff, the range of services, the quality of the surf guiding, the massages, the transport, the accommodation, the food, all were amazing. It felt like home from home in beautiful Bali. Thank you to all at The Chillhouse. I hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room in the surfer's house which was nice - all the rooms have their own be...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Thanks so much for this great review, i guess being called home away from home is as good as a review gets!
All the Bali love to Cape Town,
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

This was my first stay at a surf "camp" and it had the awesome atmosphere of a really friendly hostel mixed with the accommodation and dining quality of a very nice resort. The dining area has two big tables and multiple smaller ones so you can eat together or privately. All the meals where a really great communal experience for everyone to meet each other.

You can tell everyone working at The Chillhouse truly enjoys what they're doing as well. It shows in their super friendly and helpful attitudes. Not only that but The Chillhouse's enviromentally sustainable and organic practices seem to attract super friendly and cool guests as well. I guess it's also that all the guests are there to surf or learn to surf and that too instantly gives everyone something in common, it's a great ground breaker.

I'll get to the hospital stay now. I came down with what's known as Bali Belly one night which is just a bacteria infection that hits hard and fast coming out both ends. After a few hours by the toilet at 2:30 in the morning my brother and I decided it was time to check in at the front desk (where there is always someone there). From there our friend at the desk called Petra and Madi (Petra is a registered nurse on staff and Madi is head surf guide) who told us to go right to the hospital. Our friend at the desk called a cab told the cabi where to go and we arrived at the international hospital soon after. I got a few bags of saline and a few intravenous meds and 12 hours later I was good to go and returned back to The Chillhouse with three days of antibiotics.

The really warming part is that on my return the staff started clapping and there was a bunch of calls of " Hey there they are!". Because unlike any other place I've stayed at when we left in the middle of the night and where not there at breakfast in the morning everyone started asking where we were and getting concerned! It was so cool to feel that comforted by everyone around me so far from home. Not only that but the hospital was excellent as well!

So to sum it all up even knowing I would get really sick and spend a night in the hospital and a day or two recovering given the choice I would retake the trip Bali Belly and all in a second!

Also as a surfer there is a great selection of boards, really awesome guides who are as stoked as you are to be out in the waves everyday, and are really great at finding the best locations for the swell and your ability. My brother had been once before to The Chillhouse a year before and our shuttle driver who picked us up at the airport remembered him or was reminded and called his old guide on his cellphone even though he wasn't working at The Chillhouse anymore just so they could chat!

Talking with my brother we thought it would be best if we could also give some constructive criticism in this review because we know Alex and Sabina (the owners) read all the reviews and actively work to improve The Chillhouse based on the comments....but we really can't think of anything!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank montypbbc
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Hi Alex, thanks for the great review, so sorry for your Bali Belly, i told you not to drink the water from the tab, hahaha! Zack showed me your surf memory of last week, no blood no glory! all the best vibes to the States, ride on, Alex
Tamarindo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We've been to a few other surf "camps" and the ChillHouse really is a step up above the rest. They have great coaching and are really committed to getting you into the best waves for your ability in Bali. The staff and owners did everything thing they could to make us feel at home. The accommodations and common areas are very well maintained and very comfortable and you really can just "chill" there when you're not in the water. The meals they served were a fantastic blend of local flavours and european favourites. We had chosen Bali and the ChillHouse for our honeymoon and it certainly was the right place for us. If you are looking to try Bali and what to enjoy the culture through surfing the Chillhouse is a great place.

Room Tip: Jerry Lopez loft is the best!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank therealproctor
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Hi Cata and Rovi!
Thanks for your review and thanks for spending a part of your all around the world honeymoon with us! The Buddha is hanging and shines its light!
Ride on,