“our amazing holiday at Surya Samudra” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Niraamaya Retreats

Niraamaya Retreats
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Kovalam
“our amazing holiday at Surya Samudra”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Our experience at Surya Samudra was absolutely divine… My husband decided to surprise me as we never got the time or chance for a honeymoon…..and I must say I was truly stunned by the view from my Room –the Octagon… It takes your breath away…The blue green ocean mesmerizes you and has a very soothing effect . The management was very friendly from the general manager Miss Burgess who took out time to converse with us to our awesome butler Mr Thangaswamy who was very helpful, courteous, friendly and always around to see that we were comfortable and having a good time… We want to thank him for his services and hope the management will let him know tht he is doing an excellent job…. The staff overall was great…very helpful and kind… the food was excellent and we also thank the Chef Mr Prakash for the personalised attention….The total ambiance and the property is excellent. We thank you for making our holiday n so called honeymoon memorable……

4 Thank TaranjitSingh
Samira B, General Manager at Niraamaya Retreats, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very pleased that your stay with us was so memorable. I was especially delighted to note our newly personalised butler service was a success. I have passed on your comments to the staff and in particular Thangaswamy and Chef Prakash. We look forward to welcoming you back to Surya Samudra Private Retreats in the near future.

Samira Burgess
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Chennai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

What can I say about the newly refurbished and absolutely stunning Surya Samudra. We stayed as two families ( Nitin Sable & Jerry D'souza's ) in 2 separate heritage bungalows by the beach at the property. Every aspect of the property from the warm welcome, the effervescent & excellent lady general manager, the fantastic staff, the excited chef and ofcourse the views....the views.

I dont think we have ever been so well looked after and guided. The bungalows are all theme based and spacious. The pools are well maintained even if they are a tad bit too warm to enjoy a refreshing swim. The spa on site and the overall service levels impressed us, so much so....we actually inquired if a bungalow was available for long term lease.

What impressed us most was the level of attention each staff member incl the every cheerful GM gave us throughout the stay. We had stayed here in 2006 as well ( before the remoddeling and refurbishment ) and WOW ! is a word I would like to associate with the property.;

Breakfast spread was decent, could do with a little more western choices however it was satisfying. We also had a very satisfying lobster meal the the restaurant one afternoon cooked by their new chef. Great. We had stayed at the lemon tree hotel in Kovalam before checking into the Surya, while lemon tree was good - I would say this was superlative.

I wish the best for the property.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rohan S
Samira B, General Manager at Niraamaya Retreats, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. This is the first review I have seen during my tenure where a comparison has been drawn with the hotel prior to refurbishment. We are very pleased to note the hotel had the ‘WOW’ factor effect on you. Our aim is to give our guests a totally relaxing and memorable stay which clearly this was. We have worked hard on the upkeep of the property and attention to details. We are working on our menus to increase the menu options and introduce a Thai pan Asian menu. We very much look forward to your next visit.

Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I came here to look for an ideal place for long term stay and loved it right away because it touched my heart so deep. As a traveller for Ayurveda treatment package for one whole month I was looking for a place where I could relax and get the best treatment and care. I was received by Vidhya, the front desk manager, and got the best of service and hospitality. Every single staff I met from day one was friendly, warm and they go out of their way to serve and please you. The location is beyond imagination. The Sun (Surya) and the Sea (Samudra) come in perfect harmony showing amazing colors in this magnificent place. Two clean and almost private beaches, for wonderful sunrise walks and sunset walks.

My home for the last few weeks has been a Heriage premium Kerala house called "Mosque view". The name is misleading; from here you see serenity, eternity and infinity. .
The spa Niramaya is nothing but a dream. I am so privileged to be here every single day and get 120 minutes of pure Ayurveda treatment and personal care from Dr Arun, and his friendly staff. It is just the perfect treat for mind and body. The ayurveda package include yoga session with a private yoga teacher on a perfect yoga platform facing the sea. The infinity pool is fantastic and clean! You just float on the water and watch the eagles fly high on the sky.

The Chef Prakash takes pride in making excellent food, even catered to your personal choice. The restaurant staff are service minded and very friendly. Housekeeping staff with Vinu and his team make my daily life more pleasurable with two cleanings per day and beautiful figures made of towels and flowers on my comfortable bed, so inviting in this old heritage home. After staying here for almost one month I got to know every single staff from the General Manager Samira to the security guards who open the beach door at 0630 hours just for me.

It has been a sheer pleasure for the whole body, mind and soul and I am going back to Europe with renewed and refilled energy! Worth every penny I paid here! My first recommendation to anyone wanting to visit Kerala for a perfect retreat.

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Dilly S
Dear Guest, (Dilly)

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us. Over the course of your month long stay you became part of the family at Surya Samudra Private Retreats and we will remember you fondly. Should you need to discuss any of your Ayurveda treatments with Dr Arun please feel free to contact him direct. Hopefully we will get to meet again in the future.

mumbai-india
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

The resort has the best location right on a clean private beach with views to die for.....
Food quality is decent though priced slightly on the higher side . Quality of rooms is awesome .Pool is also great and local transport (tuk-tuks) available outside the hotel . Prepaid taxi is available from airport to hotel for Rs 600 ( $12) so no need to book hotel transport. All in all a great place to spend 2-3 days with a great spa.

Room Tip: The Octagon is the best located but even Rock garden rooms are great value for money if ready to sac...
4 Thank Tejas_shah66
Samira B, General Manager at Niraamaya Retreats, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We were delighted that you and your family chose to stay with us. We continue to seek excellence and you will be pleased to know we will soon be launching an improved menu using organic vegetables and fruits from our own gardens. We do agree with you that Surya Samudra Private Retreats has one of the best locations in India which we are developing with the aim of being the No 1 Spa Resort in India.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Regards

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

To be honest, this hotel was not my top priority when I was booking the journey but due to delays in bookings my top options got sold. So i looked at trip advisor ratings and booked this property purely on trip advisor reviews - Trust me, i wasn't disappointed.

Everything from the location to the entrance to the room to the staff is nothing short of spectacular. The staff pride themselves on the service and certainly go great lengths to assure comfort and peace of mind for all travellers.

The best experience in the resort is the restaurant which, in my opinion, houses the most versatile and friendly chef (Prakash) I have come across so far. He was kind enough to cook delightful vegetarian dishes even out of the menu at our request !!! All the items served were of top notch quality with outstanding taste.

Another feather in the cap is in the form of their enviable spa which is among the best spa facilities I have been to so far - Its a bit costly though (even when you compare it to Taj and ITC) but after their service, I'm not complaining :).

We had a wonderful vacation and enjoyed the beaches, the infinity pool and the resort to the maximum. Will definitely recommend to everyone visiting Kovalam...

Room Tip: Travelers should choose the sea facing rooms to enjoy the amazing view from the rooms and verandas
4 Thank Parijat_17
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family and I am pleased you found the whole Surya Samudra Private Retreats experience so enjoyable. We pride ourselves on the fact that our service is very personalised and making our guests feel at home away from home. Our Spa is a world class spa and we are aiming at making Surya Samudra Private Retreats the No 1 Spa destination in India. I have passed your comments to my team and to Chef Prakash in particular.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Regards