We had made a booking in advance but were not sure if it was the best place for our budget.
The room we got was a standalone cottage on the far left, great view & privacy was just what we wanted, costed us 3100 a night which I felt was value for money. They have a private beach which is great, that made the money worthwhile
Kovalam is a great place for food, so we didn't need to eat at Palmshore often, the breakfast was nice but may not be to everyone's taste, the dinner too was good, i.e., above 'average' but not yum...
The bit that really ticked us off was the massage which is what we started our stay with. The doctor walked us through the types of treatments, gave us the benefits of all on the list and let us make our own decision; however, felt some explaining would have helped (especially about the 'medicated steam' - more about this in a bit).
Then started the massage; now maybe we had high hopes when we got here but the massage wasn't really that great, the guy did the foot massage, etc but I felt the massage I get at Ayush in Bangalore is far far better. Then came the 'medicated steam' @ 800 which the guy didnt let me sit in for more than 5 mins, he was constantly checking if I was was done. Steam is for you to sweat right - or was I asking for too much??
So 2 things that got me feeling I made the wrong choice with this hotel - the attitude of the massage guy and the price, I mean 1400 for the massage was bad enough, 800 for the steam was simply a RIP-OFF, overall the massage was an absolute mood killer
However, Kovalam fixed the bad start, the light house, the shacks and everything around was just great, really loved the place.
What I liked was that the front office manager asked us about our experience and when we told him our story, he called the lady who manages the massage centre and assured us he would fix this problem.
Overall, thought we had a bad start , we enjoyed our stay and I would certainly recommend this place for everthing apart from the massage
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An idyllic holiday resort by the beach, Soma Palmshore has everything you need to take a break from the mundane – to relax, to refresh and to relive every moment.Located at the Kovalam Light House Beach in Kerala, which is popular world-over for its palm fringed beach, the sun, the sand and the surf, Soma Palmshore offers you much more than just a beach vacation. A comfortable stay, a delightful cuisine, the rejuvenating experience of Ayurveda, the soothing effect of Yoga, an experience of the local tradition and culture…and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, ClearTrip, Agoda, TravelGuru, HostelWorld, Stayzilla and Expedia so you can book your Soma Palmshore Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Soma Palmshore Beach Hotel Kovalam
- Soma Palmshore Beach Resort Kovalam, Kerala