“What a great experience!”

Shirleysbeach Hotel
Shirleysbeach Hotel
Ranked #33 of 84 Kovalam B&B and Inns
Zagreb
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Greetings to you all,
for a long time we wanted to write this letter. We are old travelers through India and over the years found places and met poeple we fell in love with. So we always return there. One of those special places is little family Hotel "Shirley's Beach" in Kovalam-Kerala. Situated only a minute from the beach it is surrendered by palm trees that provide great shade from the hot sun. Coming back to our Shirley (Mrs.Mary Koshey), brave women who smiles all the time, is like coming back home to a dear person, a friend always ready help. What a great experience! Besides friendship and hospitality you will discover also that the place is run very professionaly with a great sense for cleanliness and hygiene. Milions of people travel but just keep moving on. However, those who once meet Shirley as they arrive tired from a long journey to the airport in the middle of the night and are greeted by her with a wonderful smile, those will surely come back agin. The sense of saefty cannot even be spoiled by a flat tire in the middle of the night thanks to Sambath Shirley's son who solves all problems. We write this as a sign of appreciation for Shirley and her son.

We wish all the best to you and hope that our paths will cross and we will find some of you there.

Asia and Vesna

Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Asia K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hollesley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2011

My wife and I were lucky enough to stay at Shirley's Beach Hotel for 8 weeks from January until March. The hotel is a budget hotel but has a huge heart with the proprietor Shirley and her son Sambath looking after us better than a mother, pandering to our every need and want. I can only describe the place as a perfect base and would unhesitatingly recommend it to anyone. They also organise any tour you could wish for with skill and expertise, and have many contacts with ayervedic treatments. Also can refer you to high class Dental care. First Class stay at economy prices. Brilliant.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank suffolkbirdie
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Shirley's Beach hotel is great value. Shirley and son Sambath will go the extra mile --Sambath met our 3:45 am flight into Trivandrum--they are also great with advice, tours, etc.

The hotel is very simple, but for a budget hotel the location is very convenient to the beach. It is great value in that it is safe, clean, quiet and cheap. You can certainly get better hotels in Kovalam, but not for the money and as a bonus you get Shirley.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MOTOWNROGER
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2010

To be honest I could write pages about my stay with Shirley at her run-down 'hotel' but I think straight to the point sentences would do the job just fine...

At 3am one morning after suffering from jet-lag I noticed a torch being shone through our window which our bed was right up against. I panicked and thought that someone was trying to break into our room and both I and my boyfriend were pretty scared and barely slept the rest of the night.

In the morning I went downstairs still a little bit worried about the night before so voiced my opinions to Shirley who's reaction was to laugh in my face! She never responded to me deciding to ignore me and speak to my boyfriend who was standing beside me saying that she was checking that everyone was in bed! How dare she look through our window which a torch! A complete invasion of privacy and by her laughing at me made me feel about 2 inches tall.

It did however, not get any better, a few nights later (we'd already booked 5 nights) we were sitting on our balcony late one night enjoying a last cigarette before sleep and Shirley just appeared next to us on the next balcony! She purposely made me jump and then once again mocked me to my boyfriend saying she didn't want to knock on our door 'incise I scared your girlfriend'! So she instead decides to jump out on us!

The next day we went to go and see the Asiatic lions near the Neyyar Sanctuary, and she said she had a fantastic time there with her friends laughing at the lions as they were trying to be just like the English girls 'starving themselves to lose weight and be slim'! Yet again another dig at me, but also laughing at the starved animals.

Also, never book any transport whatsoever through her, just step outside the hotel and you'll find transport a fraction of the price she quotes you.

Never booked a guided tour through her, the driver barely speaks English and is on commission for the expensive boat tours, if they take you on one, take a walk 1/2 kilometre down the road and you'll find a much cheaper boat, we promise!

To be fair there is so much more I could write here but the main facts I have mentioned. Both my boyfriend and I never met the 'kind' Shirley at this hotel previously mentioned in the other reviews and it's a shame as we were persuaded to go to this place because of all the great reviews we've read.

We have both been back-packing around India for over 2 months, and Africa and assure anyone that there are so many friendlier places to stay as well as cheaper so please don’t stay here!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Freespirits182
Hof, Germany
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I spent five nights at Shirley's guest house. And I was more than happy I had chosen her place at home (internet booking, so you never really know what to expect).
One person above wrote about how horrible it was. Well, I suppose he/she had never travelled around in India before! Of course a guest house there is not the same as in West Europe. But it was absolutley clean, the prices are totally fair, there IS hot water (you just have to know you must turn on the heater - and Shirley would tell you if you asked) and the amounts of ants is NOTHING compared to other places where I tried to stop ants building mountains in my room. There simply ARE a lot of ants, that's the secret. If you cannot live with this fact, than book a five star hotel for the price of a five star hotel or stay in Norway, Great Britain or Denmark.
So I was very happy with my accomodation. Plus Shirley is incredibly friendly!!! We spent a lot of time talking and so I learned a lot about India and its people. Her son Sambath even organised a round trip through Kerala for me and my friend (who then joined me). And it was perfectly done. He arranged goodd hotels for us, we had a friendly driver and the houseboat was superb! The price we paid for this trip was really fair.
So a full reccomentation for this place! And I will go back there for sure!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo