New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #6 of 1,136 Hotels in Tianjin
San Diego, California
“Elegant Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I was in Beijing with some friends and we decided to visit Tianjin to get away from the busy and traffic. We stayed at the St. Regis hotel for 3 nights. It is a completely brand new hotel and still experiencing some growing pains, which is understandable and to be expected in a new building. Overall, the hotel is very good and has the potential to be excellent once they work out all the kinks.

Meantime, a few about my experience in this particular stay. The bell service, reception and just about all the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice but very hot. Apparently, the hotel engineers are still working on the temperature controls and all they could do was provide a small portable A/C unit, which lowered the temperature a mere 1ºC to 25ºC which is still hot thus making it very unpleasant to sleep or hang around the room. To cool off, I took a shower and the ceiling mounted rain-shower was not properly installed as water started to pour out from all parts of the ceiling including the light fixture and I was scared I was going to be electrocuted. One of the primary reasons I stay in luxurious hotels is to make use of the spa (massage, sauna, steamroom, etc.) but it was still under construction and unavailable. Finally, the personal butler was a very pleasant experience. He was very helpful and attentive with one exception. At check-out, he took his time packing my friend's luggage meticulously wrapping their clothes in St. Regis' signature tissue wrapping paper but when I opened my luggage, I discovered that he just stuffed my clothes in my suitcase without a single tissue. I would not have known any different had he packed our bags equally the same. I am still quite upset.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank subcoms
TheStRegisTianjin, Director of Sales at The St Regis Tianjin Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear subcoms
Thank you for your constructive feedback. It is an honour to read that you found The St. Regis staff members friendly and helpful and the hotel very good. We pursuit excellence in everything we do and your comments are extremely valuable. We have worked on the heating issue and I am happy to inform you that we have managed to decrease the temperature in most of our rooms having still some of the rooms with higher temperatures for guests who prefer it warm. Our Spa has opened in simulation mode and it will be officially opened very soon. The swimming pool, steam rooms and, whirlpool are fully opened as well as the exercise room. The leisure facilities have been receiving many positive comments thus I would invite to come back anytime to experience it again. On another note, I am truly sorry to hear that the Butler Service did not achieve the consistency we pursuit every day at St. Regis. Your comment was internally reviewed and we have been focusing on consistent levels of training so it does not happen again. Our packing service should indeed be a great St. Regis experience and we should use at all times the St. Regis wrapping paper to fill in your shirts and other garment pieces.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

I recently visit China with A group of friends. We were pleasantly surprised by Tianjin. It has a lot to offer. St. Regis is a brand new hotel. The location is amazing. The building itself is beautiful. You will have there a good glance of the great St. Regis service. They really try to take care of many details. Our overall experience was good, i was just upset by some details such as the heater. Our room was very warm, more thsn normal, they were trying to regulate the temperature but it was not possible, they even put a little air condition machine in our room! But it was still hot. The service in the restaurant is good. But one night we got raw fish! Literally frozen, we sended it back but it came again frozen! I know that this is a new hotel, and a nice one, but they have to put attention to these details. On the other hand the buttler service was awesome. He worked so hard to unpack and pack our luggage so perfectly! I will not hesitate to go back to this hotel (as long they solve the problem with the heater) I enjoyed my time there.

Room Tip: The rooms with the river view are very nice
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ferraguso
TheStRegisTianjin, Manager at The St Regis Tianjin Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear Ferraguso
Thank you for your comments. We indeed focus on offering an uncompromised and bespoke service and I appreciate you have felt it and enjoyed at full the Butler Service experience. The building shape is indeed very special, locally the St. Regis is recognised as the “Jin man” which stands for “the gate to Tianjin”. Thanks to your review, we have been working on the heating and lately the feedback has been positive, as we have been able to decrease the guest rooms temperature. I am sorry we have not been to The St. Regis service levels during your meal. We have addressed your situation with our culinary team to avoid any recurrence of this situation. We would be delighted to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to reach us on stregis.tianjin@stregis.com anytime.
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Just stayed for 5 nights. Bell service and reception at check-in was great. Room was large and comfortable. Dinner in the restaurant the first night - again service was over the top, and the food was good as well.

The bathroom amentities were great - separate shampoo, conditioner, magnifying mirror, q-tips, razor, toothbrush - anything you would need. Soap and body wash. The bath was so inviting and very relaxing with the tv screen on the wall so you could watch a movie while lying in the bath. Unfortunately the bathroom flooded when I let the water out of the bath - new hotel issue I guess and they told me they had solved the lumpbing problem (which drain pipe? ), but I did not have another bath as did not want to risk another flood.

Great shower as well - large and a rain shower as well as regular shower. Very relaxing and large enough for four (well that is my guess as did nto actually try having four people in the shower). The toilet has a door as well, which i always like but as it is a clear glass door not sure that it is functional...

I like hotel windows that open, but in this case, the air was so bad during msot of my stay that not sure I would want to open the windows, but they need to do something about the heat. it is set at 24 degrees celsius and it was far too warm. The solution was to turn off the air, but then the air becomes stale.

There is tea and coffee making facilties in the room, and the butler can also bring you tea/coffee for your wake-up call. I chose not to use the butler service (strange men in my room first thing in the morning is not quite for me, but nice to know it is available). So went to use the coffee plunger and the handle broke and the coffee went everywhere. Bit of a surprise since the hotel is new.

They provide bottles of water for the room and i never ran out of water.

The hotel is very new, and the pool and spa is yet to open which was disappointing but it does look like they will be very nice once the hotel is fully operational. They said one week...

The breakfast buffet was great and again the service is over the top - they cannot do enough for you.

Location is great for the shopping malls - not markets, but great area for walking, and the back streets around there are also good for antiques. Close to a church as well so was able to get to an ENglish speaking service on the Sunday morning which was nice. Was surprised at how full the church was. The hotel is next to the river and made for a nice walk. Felt very safe in the area.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again, but they need to fix the air conditioning temperature, and lookm forward to being able to use the pool and spa.

Room Tip: Room 1202 faced the city view and was very nice. Suspect teh river view rooms would be nice as well...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AussieNarelle
Dear AussieNarelle

Thank you very much for your comments. We truly appreciate your review of your stay at The St. Regis Tianjin and we are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the quality of the service in both food and beverage venues and reception desk. It is also great to understand that you have enjoyed the location of The St. Regis. St. Regis is indeed Tianjin’s premier address, the Italian quarter at a walking distance, the antique’s street and the proximity to the train location is something we are particular proud of. Our Butler team would be delighted to assist you anytime during your next visit, we have both gender of Butlers if that makes you feel more comfortable. In addition the St. Regis Tianjin offers a Butler Valet box in every room, where your Butler can leave your pressed garments or your tea in case you do not want to be disturbed. I also appreciate your comments regarding the heating, we have been working on this and the overall temperature of the guest rooms is now much more comfortable. I am delighted to share with you that our swimming pool is opened and the Spa is now on soft opening and simulation period, thus the whole team would love to welcome you back anytime!
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Outstanding and very personalised service, as you would expect from well-groomed personnel at a posh private residence. Large rooms, larger bathrooms, superb views.

Every imaginable toiletry, of excellent quality. They tend to take care of your every need.

Opened late October 2011, so it is spanking clean and new. Good restaurant, nice for breakfast. Good choice of dishes.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Birotteau
Dear Birotteau
Thank you very much for your encouraging comments. You were one of our very first costumers and it is great to read that your experience was good. We strive for an uncompromising service and tailor made experiences and we would be delighted to welcome you back to offer you once again some new culinary concepts we have developed.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

It's my first visit to Tianjin and as the hotel was just opened for days, it was recommended. The view of this iconic architecture span across the city. A river sits at the back of the hotel offering wonderful stroll in the evenings.

For a newly opened hotel, I did not feel there was any let-down or disappointment. The service was great, fast and efficient. Most important that the staff spoke English, or at least make good attempt to. The quality of the hotel was upper class.

It was a short, quick visit, but will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank alexsfish
Dear alexsfish
We would be delighted to welcome you back anytime! Thank you very much for your comments which I have shared with the team. It is a pleasure to understand that you have found our service up to your expectations, fast and efficient, and that you have enjoyed the location. Whilst in downtown The St. Regis address is normally away from the traffic jams when accessing important locations in Tianjin. Spring is coming now and our concierge has prepared a few stroll and jogging suggestions for your return.